Have you had to switch calibers due to ammo?

Smid

WKR
Just as I finally got my gun all sorted out and running flawlessly, I’m noticing I can’t find ammo. I’m using a .22 nosler shooting 62 grain varmegeddons and they have been out of stock since the beginning of October most everywhere. Has anyone had to make a switch on a particular caliber due to limited availability? I have about 200 rounds left which should be good for a couple months but trying to plan ahead. My buddy is running a .224 Valkyrie and has been buying hornady varmint rounds every couple weeks for months with no issues. He also bought a press so we could get into reloading, but I think we’re a little late on that ship.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I have empathy for people age 9 through 12 who find themselves with an ammunition availabity problem. For others.......I just shake my head in bewilderment. Sorry, not trying to be a troll. I just don't get what reality most shooters live in. What is even more ungraspable is that currently there are literally "millions" of people looking for ammo.

bsnedeker

WKR
I have empathy for people age 9 through 12 who find themselves with an ammunition availabity problem. For others.......I just shake my head in bewilderment. Sorry, not trying to be a troll. I just don't get what reality most shooters live in. What is even more ungraspable is that currently there are literally "millions" of people looking for ammo.
As someone who stocked up on 9 and 223 years ago and is still sitting on thousands of rounds of both I also chuckle a bit....that said, it was an investment of a few thousand dollars which not everyone is comfortable with or even capable of.

You know, I often contemplate the same thing while in traffic. I switch lanes and then THAT lane slows down, while the lane I just left speeds up. I get the same thing happening to me at checkout lines and DMV lines.

Moral of the story: Don't switch. Just be patient. It will come back.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Moral of the story: Don't switch. Just be patient. It will come back.

We don't "Truly" know that. Yes.....we expect that. The condition humans have settled into is called "Normalcy Bias". We expect there will always be toilet paper in abundance, we expect there will be ammo issues before national elections, and we expect that to vanish shortly after the election. That is "Normalcy Bias". It is a dangerous way to operate.

So why do we assume that at some point, likely fairly soon, there will be lots a ammo. We only assume that because we are wired into "Normalcy Bias". But what if it does not return......??? What if there is a large world war, and all ammo production is diverted to the war effort. During the 1940's all ammo production was for Non-civilian needs. Literally people had one or two cartridges for years of hunting.....there was no "plinking'.

MThuntr

WKR
Sad fact is the 22 Nosler likely won't last in a boom/bust situation we've had for the better part of a decade...as things become scarce companies will slow production of ammo for the oddities that few people buy in favor for the common cartridges. Not saying they completely disappear just become tough to find just like the 223 & 243 WSSM...see much ammo out there for them? It's time to start reloading for that rifle, buy enough components to last its lifetime...hopefully you can get the basics.

Angler

FNG
I have empathy for people age 9 through 12 who find themselves with an ammunition availabity problem. For others......
I had to chuckle at this because for this years class of new shooters, ages 9-14, I let use the the suppressed 77/22 and ran out of subsonic in 1 month!! Yes it is "funner" shooting nutria with a suppressed rifle but geez

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
As someone who stocked up on 9 and 223 years ago and is still sitting on thousands of rounds of both I also chuckle a bit....that said, it was an investment of a few thousand dollars which not everyone is comfortable with or even capable of.

I have plenty of 9 and shotgun target rounds, the problem is I just started hunting this year. Got my first coyote gun in may switched to the nosler in September and got about 600 rounds at the time. It’s still my fault, but at the same time I haven’t been hunting long enough to truly stack it deep like I would have wanted to

Last edited:
OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
It's time to start reloading for that rifle, buy enough components to last its lifetime...hopefully you can get the basics.

We missed the boat on that. Waited in line for 3 hours Saturday to get primers. We wouldn’t have got any, but the store closed for covid sanitation and the 38 people in front of us left. Power was gone before we could make it to the other shelf

Last edited:

Fallow120

FNG
I just got my AR built so..... no. I’m shooting .223 and 5.56 so I can find them when I’m lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, haven't switched calibers or shooting habits. I shoot 24 different calibers and stacked it deep enough that I don't need to. The great .22lr famine taught me an invaluable lesson.

We don't "Truly" know that. Yes.....we expect that. The condition humans have settled into is called "Normalcy Bias". We expect there will always be toilet paper in abundance, we expect there will be ammo issues before national elections, and we expect that to vanish shortly after the election. That is "Normalcy Bias". It is a dangerous way to operate.

So why do we assume that at some point, likely fairly soon, there will be lots a ammo. We only assume that because we are wired into "Normalcy Bias". But what if it does not return......??? What if there is a large world war, and all ammo production is diverted to the war effort. During the 1940's all ammo production was for Non-civilian needs. Literally people had one or two cartridges for years of hunting.....there was no "plinking'.

Well, speaking of assumptions. You assume that market forces will remain dormant. They won't. Business abhors a vacuum and the existing manufacturers and even new ones will step in and provide supply for the eventual qualified demand. Right now, suppliers only see this as a short term deal. Expecting a war to happen is an even worse way to be thinking.

Reactions: MTB

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I am wishing I had anything WSM or 28 nosler right now. That's the only thing on the shelf

WCB

WKR
Nope I shoot common calibers and kept a healthy supply of shells. For my big game hunting rifles I keep a minimum of 10boxes of my hunting rounds on hand. Once I dip into that case I buy another (so basically 2 cases). All my dope cards are built and I use my smaller calibers for volume practice.

When this crap started ramping up I bit the bullet and bought a bit more than I normally do but I could go a good 2 years probably and not run out. I shoot every other weekend but unless it is my .22LR I don't just blast rounds into bowling pins anyways. 30-40 rounds per gun bring 2-3 guns is all that is needed any weekend I am not gun hunting (basically April-September).

I know a couple guys that complain about finding Ammunition for their ARs. They then luck out buy 1,000 rounds and dump them down range as fast as they can in a weekend or two shooting at basically nothing and are still terrible shots. A week later..."where is all the ammunition... I can't even get out and practice"

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
After they called me looking for deer slugs, I had to explain to my cousins 17 & 18 yo's that every 4-8 years expect an ammo crisis. Their grandfather was one to buy a box or two of ammo every time he went to the local Theisens or Kmart. I started handloading 25+ years ago & learned to stock components long and deep.

joker338

FNG
I’m more wondering what you plan to switch to that won’t put you in the same spot. At this point, anything you’re not currently stocked up on will be a problem. I do see some valkerie on the shelves, but all the oddball stuff is remnants, and after somebody buys it it wont be back until probably after everything else comes in stock.

So really your choice is to buy whatever oddball is on the shelf at record pace and hope you beat anybody else with the same idea, or wait, saving your money and when products become available invest to where you wont be caught with your pants down again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk