Have you had to switch calibers due to ammo?

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I’m more wondering what you plan to switch to that won’t put you in the same spot. At this point, anything you’re not currently stocked up on will be a problem. I do see some valkerie on the shelves, but all the oddball stuff is remnants, and after somebody buys it it wont be back until probably after everything else comes in stock.

So really your choice is to buy whatever oddball is on the shelf at record pace and hope you beat anybody else with the same idea, or wait, saving your money and when products become available invest to where you wont be caught with your pants down again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a valid point but in my case .22 nosler is oddly specific. Many companies cranking out .223 / .224 Valkyrie / 6.5 creedmore , ect.
Nosler and Dogtown are the only ones making .22 nosler in any volume. Dogtown has been out for about 6 months, nosler for atleast 2. I don’t even care about the markup or overpaying, it’s literally just not available

Luckily I was able to find everything I need for my buddy to load me about 300 rounds which should get me by until nosler gets another batch done, thanks to a fine member here training me some small rifle primers for large rifles.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
That is a valid point but in my case .22 nosler is oddly specific. Many companies cranking out .223 / .224 Valkyrie / 6.5 creedmore , ect.
Nosler and Dogtown are the only ones making .22 nosler in any volume. Dogtown has been out for about 6 months, nosler for atleast 2. I don’t even care about the markup or overpaying, it’s literally just not available

Luckily I was able to find everything I need for my buddy to load me about 300 rounds which should get me by until nosler gets another batch done, thanks to a fine member here training me some small rifle primers for large rifles.
I think this a good lesson for people in general. Not necessarily don't buy those odd ball specific calibers but to also have a common caliber that normally can be had a decent price and one that every manufacturer makes. Buy a healthy stock pile when it is available. Depending on a small ammunition manufacturer like Nosler for anything is not good practice. (I know Nosler is a large bullet manufacturer but as for loaded ammunition they are tiny)

joker338

FNG
I think this a good lesson for people in general. Not necessarily don't buy those odd ball specific calibers but to also have a common caliber that normally can be had a decent price and one that every manufacturer makes. Buy a healthy stock pile when it is available. Depending on a small ammunition manufacturer like Nosler for anything is not good practice. (I know Nosler is a large bullet manufacturer but as for loaded ammunition they are tiny)

This is why I have such an affinity towards 308 family cartridges. As a reloader its nice to stock pile some military surplus knowing I can convert as needed. 30-06 family would be another great one to join.

Reactions: WCB
Has definitely taught me to stock up more on hunting rifle ammo and not just 9mm and 223/556. Always only cared to have a box or two for my hunting rifles. After this stuff- I’ll change that.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR

Maybe when everyone realizes the .22 nosler is much superior to the .223, I won’t have such an issue lol.

But yeah to your point, I don’t disagree. Thats the pitfalls of being a somewhat new hunter, you don’t know what you don’t know

Reactions: WCB

Sogan

FNG
Ordered a barrel for my Zeus action in .308. I have the components to reload 4K precision rounds for my long range setup. Can’t reload much else because I am missing one component for each round basically. It’ll force me to use up the .308 supply that I’ve just been sitting on

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
During the last ammo "crisis" a buddy of mine noticed he couldn't find any .22LR anywhere, but was able to find plenty of .17 HMR... a couple of grand later he was into a new Volquartsen custom in .17 HMR. :)

MTB

FNG
We don't "Truly" know that. Yes.....we expect that. The condition humans have settled into is called "Normalcy Bias". We expect there will always be toilet paper in abundance, we expect there will be ammo issues before national elections, and we expect that to vanish shortly after the election. That is "Normalcy Bias". It is a dangerous way to operate.

So why do we assume that at some point, likely fairly soon, there will be lots a ammo. We only assume that because we are wired into "Normalcy Bias". But what if it does not return......??? What if there is a large world war, and all ammo production is diverted to the war effort. During the 1940's all ammo production was for Non-civilian needs. Literally people had one or two cartridges for years of hunting.....there was no "plinking'.
If there is a large world war.....god forbid....the last thing we will need to worry about is small arms ammunition..........