Have you killed an elk in the rain?

willy

FNG
MY first bull I still hunted and shot in his bed during a steady light rain. The bulls were bugling in heavy timber and I would just take 2 steps and glass ahead as far as possible and then move forward a couple more steps.

A half hour prior to me killing that bull I blew it on a giant 6x6 at 30 yards. I had just stopped and was binocing and it stood up. It didn't know what I was but knew something was up. I wiped the rain from the binocs and looked at the rack and counted times and recounted, He kind of mesmerized me and when he swept his head back and the end of the beams went over his rump I came out of it, I dropped the binocs down my chest and raised the gun but at the same time he whirled and was gone in the patch of 6 to 12' tall christmas tree like growth of the area.

I was so pissed at myself and perhaps in 2009 in WY someone heard the f bomb a mile or two away. I regrouped and made my way towards a park up the mountain, continuing the strategy I was using prior to my major screw up.

The bull I got I glassed in his bed after wiping the rain from my binocs. I leaned against a tree and shot him at 30 yards in his bed. He never got up. I field dressed him and hiked back to camp and my buddy and I packed him out the next day.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk in the rain but I'd be wearing rain gear.

danarnold

WKR
On the Colorado Wyoming border several hours after daylight we watch the storm heading in quick, we had a blind under a fur tree right next to an aspen down the ridge on a pretty good trail. We sat down and I just started eating a ham sandwich when a cow and a calf came up the trail, within a minute I arrow to this guy. It rained very hard and there was no blood trail, went to the last spot we physically saw him and used our nose the rest of the way. It was steep as hell, had to tie him uphill to quarter him. Good times
13402abec3994c6054db85d1d4a1c78f.jpg

HntnFsh

FNG
I live in Washington. Killed lots of elk in the rain. Pouring rain, drizzly rain, sideways wind and rain. Good time to hunt.

nphunter

WKR
Its a minimum of 17 Pref point unit. 😁

Accept I drew with 3 points, Drew Walla Walla this year with 5. Lol

We did call in a pile of bulls, passed a few dandies before shooting that bull. I was there for a couple weeks hunting. My hunting partner had to leave that day and I told him I’d shoot the next bull we called in and that’s what i did. Was an awesome hunt, I won’t be shooting a dink this fall though:)

nphunter

WKR
Come on, dude. Admit it.......that's videoshopped. They never come into the gap or opening that you're set up on, especially if your bow is already drawn. That bull really came in behind you.....didn't it?

Defiantly was!! I actually had no clue he was videoing it, that bull came in on a string, he was still behind the timber from me the last time he bugled, it looks like he was just standing in the open below me in the video. I’ve only had one other bull come in perfect like that and I put an arrow right in his shoulder, still have that arrow as a reminder.