Having an discussion

Kimber22

Lil-Rokslider
So a coworker of mine says I should switch from recurves to longbows. He says the longer bow is easier to pull at the same poundage than the shorter bow? Is he right? He states because my shoulders are so bad it would make it easier to draw more weight. I am wanting to do traditional for an elk hunt, but am limited by the draw weight I can pull. Help me out here.

Wrench

WKR
My longbows don't stack as fast as my recurve....but something like a border would be the most for the least in draw/vs speed.

I'd just stick to as light as you can and shoot what you want. It's more grips, brace height and weight than anythin in terms of difference.

LostArra

WKR
I went to a longer recurve for my shoulders. As little as 4" can make a difference in the feel of the draw. It was fairly easy for me as I shoot a takedown recurve. My favorite longbow (Dwyer Endeavor) is a pretty radical r/d model and is actually shorter than my recurve (Morrison).

Ddog

WKR
What these guys said, plus something like a Cari-bow Tuktu EX, with static tips helps smooth out the draw after the initial holding weight is pulled through. In general, though, a longer bow can feel lighter than marked weight whether recurve or longbow, IMO.

oldgoat

WKR
If you're limited in weight you can draw, longbows are not the way to go, recurves with big hooks are what you want, some lessons on proper draw mechanics might help too! As mentioned the Border bows are probably the fastest for the draw weight, but I personally can't stand their grips, Dryad ACS Recurves made here in the states are pretty fast. My wife was getting 170fps at 12gpp draw weight on hers. To put that in another way, at 42#@28" draw she was sending a 510gr arrow 170fps

oldgoat

WKR
So if you have shoulder issues and when you shoot as you go to start your draw cycle, do you hike your shoulder up towards your ear? Stand on any public archery range shooting line and you will see people doing this! Raising your shoulder prevents your back muscles from firing and prevents having any real back tension, so instead of using a major muscle group to draw your bow, you are using a minor muscle group and putting a lot more wear and tear on your shoulder!!! If you have the coin, the Solid Archery Mechanics video course from Tom Clum might be worth your time, especially if you don't have an actual shooting coach available in your area. Think they have an installment plan to pay for it, believe is $200 total, probably pay for itself in non lost or broken arrows etc over time!

oldgoat

WKR
When you get it down, your draw length will probably get longer, which means you can get the same energy from a lower weight draw and hold at full draw longer! All pros, no cons!

oldgoat

WKR
If you listen to podcasts, The Stickbow Chronicles most recent episode covers shoulder health, haven't listened to it yet myself, but they have a doctor on talking about archery shoulder health