Having Zip off zippers added?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had this done? I used to do deep shipwreck diving in the Great Lakes very deep and cold. I have some thermals for under my Dry suit that are very very warm (Fourth Element Arctics). I have worn the top hunting for many years as a mid-layer. Once I forgot my wool coat in 8F and still sat for two hours before getting chilly with just it and a base layer. I have not used the bottoms much as they would be a pain to take on and off and are too warm to walk in.

In my search for long inseam zip offs I got to thinking maybe I could have zips added to these. Would a local tailor do this or is there a specialty shop I can send them to?

Thanks

A local tailor should have no problem getting this done for you. I'm in the process of getting this done myself.

bpurtz

WKR
Have you looked at Northern Playground Ziplongs?

They used to be available on Amazon, but looks like they aren't any longer...
I had Kuiu and didn't like the low ride fit - the Northern Playground fit well and are warm.
Looks like Icebreaker and Kings have some Zipoff options too.

I'd be hesitant to modify something that might ruin them if they didn't turn out like you hoped.

Scrappy

WKR
I had a local tailor add a zipper to a quilt. I picked up the zipper at hobby lobby.

With that said I think you would ruin a pair of pants due to not having the extra material to cover the Zipper so the cold won't get through the zipper.

I did it years ago with both zippers and Velcro. The backig on the zippers bothered my legs. Most factory zip offs have a flap of fabric behind the zipper to avoid irritation. The Velcro worked but it got clogged with fuzz after a few washes and it reduces the circumference of the pants leg enough that it would pop open when I squatted sometimes. Sample of one but I wouldn’t do it again. I do like my kuiu zip offs and wear longer socks to cover my calves.

Htm84

WKR
There’s this thread about doing it in the DIY section.