Hawaii bound

Hey guys, current PA active duty military hunter, headed out to to Oahu this summer for the next 3 years. So reading everything I can about Hawaii pig, goat, chicken, axis, blacktail hunting on the site. I've seen a few guys share that they've hunted Oahu, please reach out if you have some experience there and would let me pick your brain.

Cheers.
Scott

OP
A
Anyone looking for a hunting buddy in Oahu and Hawaii in general, feel free to hit me up.

Your answer is to look to other islands- way more opportunities and less people. At least some species can be hunted year round.

The only thing I hear of on Oahu is the occasional pig. Enjoy the surf and fishing!

FLATHEAD

WKR
Went there on a family vacation once.
Spent 3 days looking for access to one of the public areas.
Finally found it through trial and error (no signs whatsoever).
The Gated entrance was up behind a Convent, hidden from
the pavement. There was a sign on the gate that said the area
was "Closed due to Aerial Culling Operations".
Never took my bow out of the case.
Good Luck.

OP
A
Went there on a family vacation once.
Spent 3 days looking for access to one of the public areas.
Finally found it through trial and error (no signs whatsoever).
The Gated entrance was up behind a Convent, hidden from
the pavement. There was a sign on the gate that said the area
was "Closed due to Aerial Culling Operations".
Never took my bow out of the case.
Good Luck.
I saw your post about that in one of the Hawaii hunting threads, I remember you said it was behind a convent. I’ll have a couple years there to figure things out, but your info is useful — now I can look for convents and where they are nearby to any public hunting lands!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I saw your post about that in one of the Hawaii hunting threads, I remember you said it was behind a convent. I’ll have a couple years there to figure things out, but your info is useful — now I can look for convents and where they are nearby to any public hunting lands!
Seems like that spot was on the SW side of the island.

CHGray

FNG
Hey guys, current PA active duty military hunter, headed out to to Oahu this summer for the next 3 years. So reading everything I can about Hawaii pig, goat, chicken, axis, blacktail hunting on the site. I've seen a few guys share that they've hunted Oahu, please reach out if you have some experience there and would let me pick your brain.

Cheers.
Scott
Have a Coast Guard buddy in Maui. Had a lot of success pig hunting with archery around the islands. Good luck!

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
we're moving to Oahu from Wisconsin in June. shoot me a message too and we'll figure it out together! i've spent a fair amount of time reading on the HI DFW website and it looks like the regs are pretty straightforward. Not a ton of options in Oahu, compared to the neighbor islands, but there seem to be plenty of public hunting grounds and few, if any, seasons and special tags needed for most mammals.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Living in Oahu for 3 years sounds about perfect, congrats on the move! I spent 3 months there this fall and it was fantastic. I had ambitions of bringing my bow but ended up leaving it home and glad I did. Unless you have private access I think it's going to be tough hunting (I did see a good number of hogs on private lands). All the public I hiked around was steep and jungly thick; I kept thinking to myself, "no way I want to hunt this". There might be some areas in that NW part of the island that are more open and conducive to spotting game. Otherwise I would say you'll have fun hunting opportunities on other islands that might be a better use of your time.

kdsulliv

FNG

Cheers.
Scott
Scott, I'm on a similar path - not sure how to send a PM but hit me up if you can!

Anyone looking for a hunting buddy in Oahu and Hawaii in general, feel free to hit me up.
I'm heading down in February 2024, wife's brother lives in Honolulu and I've been scoping out the waianae kai reserve in the northwest part of the island. I already submitted my hunter safety exemption for my home state and so now all that's left is tags and licenses which I'll get once we land. I've been doing alot of reading and watching diy YouTube videos of guys that have done this on Oahu. From the sounds of it other islands are way better but GMU C is where Im headed in February with my bow.

OP
A
Have you had any luck hunting since then? I'm coming down in February 2024.
I haven't been up to that unit yet, but I mean to at some point. I think you'll have fun, just make sure you're hitting the stairclimber or getting out in the mountains before then. It's easy to underestimate the terrain here, probably because it's generally not very high elevation. But a thousand foot climb in the first half mile from your truck is no joke. Goats aren't too hard to find here, you just have to be willing to hike up into the goat country. Pigs are tough for anyone not running dogs.