Hawaii family/hunting trip

SDHNTR

WKR
I tried to do the same a few years back. Ended up never taking my bow out of the case. They will sell you a hunting license but they I don't think they really want you
to hunt. Information is very, very sparse. I had located a couple WMA's I wanted to hunt. One in particular looked promising.
Took me 3 days to find the entrance to it, no signs, road names, NOTHING. Entrance was on a no name road leading up to a convent, the only signs were about the convent. So I find the entrance up this little dirt road only to find a closed gate with a sign telling me I cant go in due to aerial culling operations in process. This was NOT in the regs!!! The other place on the other end of the island supposedly bordered a 4 lane hwy going over a large mtn.
Again, no signs and no pull offs. The whole length of where its "supposed" to be had a 6ft. high chain length fence border. The only place to pull off was an overlook / park thingy where some battle took place. The "authorities" were sure on top of things when making sure you paid for your parking but were totally ignorant about the WMA this place was supposed to be on. The locals somehow forgot to speak English when asked anything about hunting, even the cop sitting in the parking lot. There were tons of those Jungle chickens and Roosters at this spot just begging to catch an arrow.
So do your research and be prepared to be frustrated because no one will offer any help. This was on Oahu BTW. As far as bringing a gun, if I can remember correctly you can but your supposed to register it with the local police the same day you arrive. Was too much of a PITA for me so I took the bow. But like I said, never took it out of the case.
Maybe the other Islands are different as far as hunting. I certainly hope so.
I know of both of those spots you mention and have had fairly consistent success there. Sorry, but I’m not helping either. Call me a dik, but the public areas are small and hard to access on Oahu. I’m glad it’s that way as if it were easy it would be overrun. That said, the state eradication issues have changed things. I go to Oahu for biz every year and haven’t hunted there the last two years because of the eradication efforts. There’s simply better hunting elsewhere. Yes, it’s a process and it takes some research. But guess what, the entire western 48 used to be the same way! And the hunting used to be better and tags a lot easier to draw! We’ve gotten so used to the internet making things easier that we’ve forgotten that rewarding things take effort. I’m glad Hawaii is still that way! Opportunities are there for the dedicated.

Try some spear fishing!
just plz go with a partner and learn about shallow water blackout. its real and deadly.

Locals are generally wary of mainlanders, esp on the smaller islands. They know where everything is and they dont feel the need to mark locations because then everyone finds out and crowds in. Just the way it is there.

ya see this all the time on some of the hunting fb groups especially the military guys who move here. see it all the time "just moved here, not looking for any honey holes but where would you go in unit __"... etc. then they do go have some luck and tell everyone where to go how to do it etc.they'll be moved on in a couple years so they don't care. they don;'t realize that on a lot of these smaller islands a lot of guys are feeding their families with the subsistence hunting they doing in these areas.

Beendare

WKR
I totally understand SD's point. I've done some hunting in Hawaii on 4 different islands and no way I'm going to blow those areas up on the internet like western elk hunting has become.

Plus, there is a couple of those spots that a white guy stumbling around in there might run into some trouble with pakalolo growers and unfriendly locals....the Hilo side of the big island for sure. Bring your pit bull repellant.

KHNC

WKR
I am looking into going to Maui in july for a vacation/axis trip. Looking into Mauideerhunting.com for the Axis. They have a great reputation and i am not going to have the time to dedicate to public land out there either. I want to have a fun trip AND be successful. The trip is expensive as it is, so i am willing to pay a guide too.

SDHNTR

WKR
I am looking into going to Maui in july for a vacation/axis trip. Looking into Mauideerhunting.com for the Axis. They have a great reputation and i am not going to have the time to dedicate to public land out there either. I want to have a fun trip AND be successful. The trip is expensive as it is, so i am willing to pay a guide too.
Warning: that place is high fenced and they are super shady about disclosing that fact. I have a buddy who made that mistake and he was really bummed when he showed up. If you want to go guided on Maui, this is your guy: https://mauihuntingsafari.com/. He’s honest, has a great property and it’s a legit hunt.

KHNC

WKR
Warning: that place is high fenced and they are super shady about disclosing that fact. I have a buddy who made that mistake and he was really bummed when he showed up. If you want to go guided on Maui, this is your guy: https://mauihuntingsafari.com/. He’s honest, has a great property and it’s a legit hunt.
Thanks for letting me know! Definitely doesnt say that on the website.

Ya if you want to be successful go with either Maui hunting safari or pineapple brothers on lanai. Rodney is the only outfitter on the ranches on the back side of Maui (Kaupo) . it's loaded back there with goats deer and pigs. Beautiful country too. Your hunt won't last long. Try to go may-july during the rut.

KHNC

WKR
Thanks! yes, it would be this July if it works out. I emailed maui safaris, waiting to hear back.

SDHNTR

WKR
Rodney is probably mainland bound for the SCI show. I’d try calling and get on the schedule before the show as he will book up fast!

travelert

FNG
I lived on Oahu for 27 years, born and raised. In general hunting and gun ownership is not part of the local upbringing. Most are indifferent to it. The majority of "hunters" do archery or spear wild pig since that's a delicacy there. Traveling with a firearm is not that big of a deal. Lock in case, declare it at the airport, goes in checked luggage. Call the local PD of the island you are planning to hunt. They will direct you if you need to register or not, it may depend on your length of stay.

Locals are generally wary of mainlanders, esp on the smaller islands. They know where everything is and they dont feel the need to mark locations because then everyone finds out and crowds in. Just the way it is there.

Oahu is the urban island and has the most shopping and restaurants. Must see: historic North Shore see the big waves in the winter, Pearl Harbor USS Arizona and Missouri is a must see. Polynesian Cultural Center is awesome too. Everything else is going to be crowded, concrete and traffic. Waikiki is a great place to buy China knock offs and see the police in action!

Big Island is the most diverse landscape wise from desert black lava to lush rain forests and the snow cap peak of Mauna Kea. The volcano park is a must see along with the black sand beaches. Lots of waterfall hikes, ATV, horseback tours. Good Rio Grande turkey hunting there but that would be in the spring.

Maui has the nicest beaches and ocean. Maui is the place to dive. There's some gorgeous day drives, the road to Hana and Haleakalā are amazing. Maui Ocean Center is a must see, esp for the kids. They have dolphins and turtles there. There's a ton of different tour adventures too.

Lanai is where the hunters go for axis and sheep. The island is small compared to the rest. Mostly private. Its always been the place to get away from people and relax on the beach or play golf. There's some ATV and boat tours but everything is extra pricey, esp the resorts. I remember there was a restaurant that served deer meat they got from the hunters. Really not much to do for extended stay with the family.

Personally, I would spend the bulk of my vacation on one of the larger islands (Big Island, Maui or Oahu) doing family stuff and then hop an inter-island flight to Lanai for a few days for the hunt. In Jan the water can be rough in certain areas. Just keep that in mind for diving and boat tours. The Humpback whales will migrate there during that time and you can book boat tours to see them. On rare occasions I would see them from shore.
You nailed it jester87. I've lived on the Big Island half the year all my life. In terms of paying attention to local norms and etiquette, many folks fail to appreciate that visiting Hawaii is less like visiting another US state and more like visiting another country. Unique culture, stunning natural beauty, and year round hunting are just some of the reasons I have always lived here. Boar hunting is etched into culture here. My experience has always been that anyone who proceeds with humility and wants to hunt boar will find folks who want to help. Come hunt! Just ask a few questions so you won't be frustrated by access, gun laws, etc.

RWhitley

FNG
Family is looking at moving to Oahu, just starting the process now of figuring out how to continue my hunting void.

Jester where did you live at in Oahu?

You nailed it jester87. I've lived on the Big Island half the year all my life. In terms of paying attention to local norms and etiquette, many folks fail to appreciate that visiting Hawaii is less like visiting another US state and more like visiting another country. Unique culture, stunning natural beauty, and year round hunting are just some of the reasons I have always lived here. Boar hunting is etched into culture here. My experience has always been that anyone who proceeds with humility and wants to hunt boar will find folks who want to help. Come hunt! Just ask a few questions so you won't be frustrated by access, gun laws, etc.
Great read! Thanks for info. Visiting big land in Sept for family vacation - hope to sneak away to do axis deer hunt but guides are expensive!

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Ya if you want to be successful go with either Maui hunting safari or pineapple brothers on lanai. Rodney is the only outfitter on the ranches on the back side of Maui (Kaupo) . it's loaded back there with goats deer and pigs. Beautiful country too. Your hunt won't last long. Try to go may-july during the rut.
I hunted with Patrick Fisher with Maui Hunting Safari a few years ago. It was a trip I took my wife on, hunting wasn't the main priority, it was just a bonus. I didn't have time to go and figure it all out on my own and freelance like I typically would. It was a little pricey, it was a 3 day hunt, I only needed the 1st afternoon. We probably saw 300 deer that afternoon, ended up with a funky buck that had some character. It was a cool experience. Since I've been once now, I'd probably freelance it next time.

My wife enjoyed the trip (she doesn't hunt), and I enjoyed it. Hawaii is a cool place.

Anyone hunt Kauai? Seems to be very little chatter about this island. Have friends that live there and are pretty well set up. Will probably head there in March/April/May to get out of the grey winter for a week or two.

I would not mind trying to hunt goats. But I am not gonna pay $2000 for a stinky ghetto billy goat.

Wild country, remote as hell, love hunting there. Just be careful as some locals can get really ugly and very protective. I'm not talking about Lanai.