Hawk Helium Hang On

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using a Helium hang on from Hawk? I've always hunted whitetail out of permanent ladder stands or just from the ground but considering a hang on and sticks this year. Is a Novix worth the couple hundred extra bucks?

RELIANT

FNG
I have a few of Hawk Helium Ultralites that I got on sale, they are pretty good. They are pretty light which is good for hauling out on public land, but they are a small stand, like when sitting the toes of your boots will likely be hanging off the front of the platform. Not a big deal to me, but if your used to ladder stands with big platforms, keep that in mind. Never used a Novix.

OP
Jermh

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few of Hawk Helium Ultralites that I got on sale, they are pretty good. They are pretty light which is good for hauling out on public land, but they are a small stand, like when sitting the toes of your boots will likely be hanging off the front of the platform. Not a big deal to me, but if your used to ladder stands with big platforms, keep that in mind. Never used a Novix.
That's what I was afraid of. I like to get into recliner mode in the tree lol

Ddog

WKR
I did some comparison shopping with a decent-size platform being a priority and the Millenium M50 edged out the Helium for around the same price on Amazon. No experience with the Novix stands.

OP
Jermh

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with a climber if you want recliner comfort 👌
Lol I hear what you're saying but I feel like I would be limiting the amount of spots I could set up if I went with a climber

Rich M

WKR
I had one, then got a millenium and then gave up on the stick things after a stick shifted while stepping over the cable on the lockon.

Got a viper climber and been happy ever since. Can even nap during midday up in the tree.

Macintosh

WKR
Is this for hang-and-hunt style hunting, or would you be hanging and leaving the stand?

I have not used a hawk stand, but to me the cast stands biggest advantage is noise, especially if comparing to an aluminum stand--any of the cast stands are noticeably quieter than any of the welded tube/grate stands that I've used. My guess is the millenium stands are quiet as people rave about them, but you'll pay for it in weight.
I wasnt really familiar with the hawk stands so I looked on their website--Are you talking about the standard size helium, or the helium ultralight, or one of the other heliums? I see both mentioned above...I believe "helium" refers to all of their aluminum stands and they make at least 3 different models. The ultralight is an exceptionally small stand--especially front to back, which to me affects comfort while sitting much more than width. The standard helium model is much larger. You compared to novix--the helium ultralight would be even smaller (and heavier) than a novix Helo, both are a bit smaller than a xop vanish evo or LW assault2. The helium XL appears to be most similar to the novix echo, xop air raid and LW alpha. Hawk msrp pricing appears to be closer to XOP. I do see that novix raised their prices, making them about $80 more than the equivalent hawk stand.
Bottom line, if you're looking at a lighter stand and worried about comfort, look mainly at the length of the platform. 26-28" is going to be on the small side and will be in the 9-11 pound range in most cases, if you're tall you wont be able to stretch your legs. A stand shorter than this is going to feel tiny. look for 30" or so if looking for a comfortable stand, these will mostly be in the 11-14lb range, with some of the boutique brands in this size under 7 pounds. You can shed a little weight by getting a narrower stand, especially toward the back of the stand where it hits the tree, because you dont stand back there and that doesn't really affect your comfort when sitting all day at all. I don't personally worry too much about the difference of an inch or two in width of the stand, as that only affects maneuverability when standing and I feel is not a really big deal even with my monster insulated boots on.

Last edited:
OP
Jermh

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
There will be a mix of hang and hunt as well as leaving it in the tree for extended periods. The more I've thought about it I'm leaning more toward something like the XOP Vanish or seeing if I can find a used Lone Wolf Assault or even Alpha possibly

Macintosh

WKR
Looks like lone wolf alpha stands are still available new if that works for you. vanish and assault will both be fairly small stands, lighter and lower profile to carry for sure but not the recliner mentioned up there^^. Alpha and air-raid will be the bigger models. Or post on one of the saddle hunting websites and one of the saddle-groupies maybe is getting rid of a stand!

Last edited: