Hawke Frontier SF 3-15x44 - Mil Pro Reviews?

BCD

WKR
I'm looking for a scope to use in heavy timber in low light (SFP) and for longer distances (practice to 6-700 yards). Does anyone have any feedback or experience with this scope?

Thank You!

J Batt

WKR
Not sure if your still curious. But I was about to start my own thread on this subject.
I have used the Hawke Frontier 5-25x56 for two seasons now and it is an outstanding scope as far as I am concerned. I am switching to the 2.5-15x50 because I wasn’t happy with the FOV of the 5-25 for hunting scenarios.(should have listened to advise on this forum).
The Frontier line of scopes are far superior to the Vortex Viper pst in my opinion. I had a few scopes shipped to my house and after comparing Vortex and Zeiss I went with the Frontier based off price, performance and weight. The glass looked as good to me as the Zeiss and it blew the vortex away. The turrets on the Frontier are much more solid compared to the Viper PST 1st gen.
I’ve taken 4 deer from 30-450yards and the turrets performed flawlessly. Also target shot at 800.
I dropped my rifle after my last hunt and damaged the scope. I sent it to Hawke for repairs along with a pair of Hawke Endurance 8x32 binos that the barrels became misaligned.
I sent them about a week ago and I just received a brand new scope and pair of binoculars in the mail today.
Maybe I’m dumb but the quality of the glass on the Frontier scopes is impressive.
I think my only gripe is that it’s all made in China. But what isn’t these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
Not sure if your still curious. But I was about to start my own thread on this subject.
I have used the Hawke Frontier 5-25x56 for two seasons now and it is an outstanding scope as far as I am concerned. I am switching to the 2.5-15x50 because I wasn’t happy with the FOV of the 5-25 for hunting scenarios.(should have listened to advise on this forum).
The Frontier line of scopes are far superior to the Vortex Viper pst in my opinion. I had a few scopes shipped to my house and after comparing Vortex and Zeiss I went with the Frontier based off price, performance and weight. The glass looked as good to me as the Zeiss and it blew the vortex away. The turrets on the Frontier are much more solid compared to the Viper PST 1st gen.
I’ve taken 4 deer from 30-450yards and the turrets performed flawlessly. Also target shot at 800.
I dropped my rifle after my last hunt and damaged the scope. I sent it to Hawke for repairs along with a pair of Hawke Endurance 8x32 binos that the barrels became misaligned.
I sent them about a week ago and I just received a brand new scope and pair of binoculars in the mail today.
Maybe I’m dumb but the quality of the glass on the Frontier scopes is impressive.
I think my only gripe is that it’s all made in China. But what isn’t these days.
Great info- what caliber rifle was the scope on?

Thank You!

J Batt

WKR
I’m using it on a xbolt 6.5 queermoor.
Also I just compared the hawke frontier 2.5-15x50 to the Vortex LHT 3-15x50. And the hawke has a much bigger FOV, a much easier eyebox which allows you to get on target quicker, without having perfect cheek weld. WAAAY more elevation adjustment, better zero stop. Turrets clicks feel more solid and the glass is definitely as good maybe better than the LHT.
The only cons are it is 3oz heavier, a little longer, and made in CHYNA vs Japan. Also the reticle is a little too thin for hunting IMHO. But all around mechanics I would vote the Frontier as the clear winner over the LHT.
All that said.... I’m going with the LHT because I am a weight weenie. It’s an impractical obsession at this point. I’m strong enough to carry a few extra ounces here and there. But you can almost have the same scope for 3oz less in the LHT and it’s made by a county that is not bent on world domination...

ChrisAU

WKR
The Hawke FFP Frontier 3-15x50 and 4-20x50 have caught my attention, wish I could find more real world reviews. Feature set and specs seem to be great at the price point.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Also I just compared the hawke frontier 2.5-15x50 to the Vortex LHT 3-15x50. And the hawke has a much bigger FOV, a much easier eyebox which allows you to get on target quicker, without having perfect cheek weld. WAAAY more elevation adjustment, better zero stop. Turrets clicks feel more solid and the glass is definitely as good maybe better than the LHT.
The only cons are it is 3oz heavier, a little longer, and made in CHYNA vs Japan. Also the reticle is a little too thin for hunting IMHO. But all around mechanics I would vote the Frontier as the clear winner over the LHT.
All that said.... I’m going with the LHT because I am a weight weenie. It’s an impractical obsession at this point. I’m strong enough to carry a few extra ounces here and there. But you can almost have the same scope for 3oz less in the LHT and it’s made by a county that is not bent on world domination...
So Hawke sent you a new scope after one was damaged but you're not going to use it and you're buying an LHT instead? Is that correct? When you dropped your rifle, do you know what was actually damaged on the scope? Did it still track correctly? You also feel the reticle is too thin for hunting on the 2.5-15X50? That is a second focal plane scope correct?

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I see they make that scope in SFP and FFP. I'm assuming yours was FFP being that the reticle was so thin??

J Batt

WKR
I see they make that scope in SFP and FFP. I'm assuming yours was FFP being that the reticle was so thin??
I have both using the Milpro reticle. FFP in 5-25x and SFP in 2.5-15x. The FFP is almost invisible at lowest power settings. The SFP is better but still thinner than the Vortex LHT. The LHT reticle is setup for 15x and the Frontier SFP reticle is set at 10x.
The mil-pro is a good reticle and worked for my hunts. I just wish the lines were thicker for hunting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

So two out of three Hawke optics failed requiring warranty work, and this is acceptable to you?

J Batt

WKR
So two out of three Hawke optics failed requiring warranty work, and this is acceptable to you?
So Hawke sent you a new scope after one was damaged but you're not going to use it and you're buying an LHT instead? Is that correct? When you dropped your rifle, do you know what was actually damaged on the scope? Did it still track correctly? You also feel the reticle is too thin for hunting on the 2.5-15X50? That is a second focal plane scope correct?
I’ve had to send other brands in for warranty repairs too...
The scope was damaged by me being a dumbass and they gave me a free replacement...

J Batt

WKR
I am going to try the LHT next season. But I believe the Frontier is an all around better scope. I made my choice on 3oz, the reticle, and the fact that I will be hunting more than long range shooting.
I dropped it on the objective bell onto a rock. Bent the bell a little. That was on my last pack out. So I never shot it again before sending it in.
I was hunting with the FFP. I’ve been messing with the SFP at home. This is all just my opinion. I’ve had the Bushnell LRHT which was too thick, The Frontier is too thin, The LHT is just right IMO.

J Batt

WKR
I didn’t mean to start convincing you to get an LHT. I am still torn between the two. If I did more target shooting Than hunting I would go with the Frontier all day. But in reality I use my scope to shoot a few times a year and for a couple moments during a hunt. So Bulk and weight are my priority.