Hawken .54

I got a Hawkin .54 and may use it for muley / elk this year. What would be a good bullet and powder to start with?

Wapiti1

WKR
Do you know the barrel twist? Patched round ball would be the safe bet to get it to shoot, but it may shoot conicals if the twist is 1:48 or faster (unlikely). Patched ball will do the job, just place it well and I would keep shots under 100 yards.

I'd suggest good black powder if you can get it. If not, Pyrodex RS. Start at 70gr, and work up to 100 in 10 grain increments. You'll probably find 80-90 shoots the best. Only use granular powder, no pellets.

I would suggest you not exceed 100 gr powder if you don't have a book for it that lists safe loads.

Jeremy

OP
I'm not sure what the twist is. How do I tell? I do not see anything on the barrel. Just has Hawken .54 and doesn't say TC anywhere. Which conicals are recommended? Also, smokeless is not legal here. RS is FFG equiv I guess. I believe I have some triple 777 from years ago.

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm not sure what the twist is. How do I tell? I do not see anything on the barrel. Just has Hawken .54 and doesn't say TC anywhere. Which conicals are recommended? Also, smokeless is not legal here. RS is FFG equiv I guess. I believe I have some triple 777 from years ago.
Smokeless would be suicidal, so let's not go there.

Pyrodex RS is a granular black powder FFG substitute that works well in sidelocks. T7 may work, but #11 caps don't usually ignite it in a sidelock. BH209 is flat out for a sidelock.

Find some FFG black powder (GOEX, Schuetzen, Swiss are all good) or get Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex Select (more uniform RS), or Pyrodex P. Granular. Pellets won't ignite. If you get P, reduce your start load by 10 grains, and max at 90. P is finer powder and you get more dense charges, so reduce the weight accordingly.

I offer the above knowing that powders are hard to find right now, and this gives you several options to try out. Any will work great for you once you find it.

Twist can be found by putting a flag of tape on the ramrod near the end opposite the cleaning jag, put a patch on the jag and slide it into the muzzle. Use a ruler or tape measure to measure how far it takes the tape flag to make one full turn as you push the ramrod down. You more than likely have either a 1:48 or a 1:60 barrel. 1:48 can either balls or usually shoot short conicals like the TC MaxiBall or Hunter, or the Hornady Great Plains. 1:60 can only shoot ball.

I'd suggest starting with patched balls as an easy and cheap way to get going. If they are accurate, hunt with them. They are lethal if you do your part. Explore conicals after you get some comfort with the process.

Jeremy

WRM

WKR
Likely not a TC. I have an old "unmarked" Renegade in .50 cal from the 70s but it still says Thompson Center on the barrel (doesn't say Renegade as the later models did).

Anyway, if it's in good shape, do a nipple conversion. They love BH209.

I shoot saboted cast .44 bullets in mine. Don't know what the .54 equivalent would be, but makes a good range round and I shoot deer/hogs with mine.

Last edited:

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
brass trigger guard and butt plate? Usually when its not marked with a model name, its a kit gun.

80gr 2fg, .015 / .018" patch with a .530" round ball.

Not a huge fan of tc barrels due to their horribly shallow rifling, but thats a great load to try out.

I am a traditional muzzle loader type, the .54 cal is a deer killing machine out too 100/150 yards if you do your part, I use 80 grns fff goex, .530 round ball, 15 thousands pure cotton patch and a home brewed patch lube of bees wax, olive oil and a touch of crisco, #11 cci cap if I am using that particular rifle. Mostly now of days I stick too the long rifles in flint. They were and are called black powder guns for a reason, not a big fan of the fake powders. AND NEVER SHOOT A SMOKELESS POWDER IN A BLACK POWDER RIFLE.

OP
brass trigger guard and butt plate? Usually when its not marked with a model name, its a kit gun.

80gr 2fg, .015 / .018" patch with a .530" round ball.

Not a huge fan of tc barrels due to their horribly shallow rifling, but thats a great load to try out.

It was a kit gun. :)

Firehawk

WKR
Shorter Conicals like those mentioned above are a great option. Goex Black Powder or Pyrodex RS and if you can change to a "musket" nipple do it for more fire in the hole. But mine likes the no 11 magnum primers too. I settled on 90 grains of Goex and a 430 grain Great Plains. Shoots well at 100 yards. I also installed a tang style peep sight on the back of mine and still have the original steel bead.

OP
I'll be using round balls. I should get it out to the range here soon. What is good sight-in for these at 50? Couple inches high? And it should be good out to 100?

Squincher

WKR
I'll be using round balls. I should get it out to the range here soon. What is good sight-in for these at 50? Couple inches high? And it should be good out to 100?

I find the load that shoots best first. For .54 that is usually 70-80 grains of FF, but try FFF in a lower charge as well. I sight in dead on at 100, I'm not sure what that would be at 50.