Hawkins long range hybrid mounting

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Went ahead and dropped the coin on a new rifle (Bergara Wilderness Ridge 20” .308). This being the first rifle I’ve bought that didn’t already have a scope mounted on it, I’ll have to mount it myself. I went with the Hawkins Long Range Hybrid rings (rem 700 short action) in the 30mm Low profile. The scope I bought for this rifle is the Nikon Monarch M5 3-12x42.

My question is: these being rings with the bases integrated into them, is there anything different about mounting them? I can watch all the YouTube videos I want on how to mount bases and how to mount rings. But can’t seem to find any about mounting these type of rings. Is there any leveling involved with the rings at all? Or is it pretty much where the holes are on the rings is where the screws go and torque them down to the receiver? Then level the scope?

goosedog

FNG
These rings are well machined and fit my nightforce 30mm tube nice and tight and fit the action on my CA Ridgeline perfect when I did the test fit their was no need to hone the rings and they say not to in their instructions, I did however mount them with jb weld quick like you would a pic rail Broz from longrange only has a good video on this method and after that checked the alignment and it was great no need to hone

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
i think i found the right Broz video. in it he says he did not apply the release agent because he didnt plan on removing the rail. then later on he said to show what he had done to the rail he knocked it loose and showed the bottom bedding. does this mean that he used a heat gun to release it?

would the release agent go on the receiver or on the rail (or in my case the rings)?

goosedog

FNG
I believe he used a heat gun to release it for demo purpose I just bed mine to the action no need to take them off and they are rock solid

Be advised the Hybrids only mount in one position/direction due to the 25MOA built in. I would test fit them first making sure the spacing fits your scope and eye relief setup. Then disassemble and bed them to the action.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
so i bed the rings to the action. loctite the base screws. set the scope in the rings. level the crosshairs. then loctite the scope rings.

that it?

i see the kits they sell with the barrel level (level-level kit i think?). i assume because the way these rings work the only leveling needed after bedding the ring bases is just the scope level

goosedog

FNG
Bed the rings then blue locktite the screws and torque down (IN lbs will be on the box )
Then i leveled the rings without the tops on and attached a level to the barrel so I can keep track of level while I set the scope in position I set the crosshair level with a plumbob. Then both the crosshairs and barrel are both level ,once i get my scope set I put the top part of the rings in position lightly snugging down screws till they touch then check to make sure everything is level again you will true the rear ring level with the 4 screws to the level on the barrel just tighting on side more or less to get it level to the barrel,blue locktite the top screws also and torque down
Hope this helps

I’m using the Hawkins direct mount rings in a different rifle... but I degreased the screws and holes in the receiver with q-tips. Torqued them down (loctite) and the mounted the scope. They had an arrow showing the correct direction to mount them.

It’s as simple as it gets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Just to update this thread...does anyone know what size torx head the Hawkins rings use for Remington short action? And what size the factory flathead on the receiver of a bergara is?

I bought the wheeler fat wrench set to do this install and none of the bits fit the Hawkins action screws or the factory flat heads. And none of my other bits at home are that size.

If wheeler sells those bits that would be nice.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for picking up a set of our rings.

To install them: The rings come with directional arrows on the bottom. Point the arrow head towards the muzzle of your rifle and torque them down. The ring labeled F goes on the front of the action, the ring with R goes on the rear nearest to the shooter.

We generally put a little blue loctite on them and roll, you may bed them if you'd like as well.

You'll need a T25 for the caps. T15 for the bases. Most torx bix sets will have you covered if they have the T7 to T40 bits.

Last edited: