HCA Tikka mag only allows 2 rounds in 300wsm

Just checking if anyone else has used the HCA billet mag with factory stock on a T3/T3x. I just got my Tikka T3 back from my smith after I had it turned into a 300wsm. Decided to keep the factory stock for now so I bought the HCA mag. Overall it’s a nice mag, a little snug fitting but once it locks in there is zero play.
The issue is that I can’t load three rounds. The mag does not lock when you have three in the mag, but works fine with 2 rounds. Anyone else using these mags in 300 wsm and can fit 3 rounds in them? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
I thought 2 rounds in the short Mag calibers was a fairly common thing?

I could be wrong, but the description on the website says 3+1 for wsm and saum cartridges.
I’m really just checking if 2 in the mag is normal. Overall, this is by far the best option for my build. I don’t want to spend over $200 on new DBM and another $80 for AICS mags. I also much prefer the slimmer profile of this HCA mag vs the 5 round AI mags. So if two 300 wsm rounds is what it’s supposed to fit, that’s fine. I’ll just have to buy another one when they’re back in stock!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Why not just use the factory magazines? My buddies 300wsm load into my 300wm and it feeds. 3 fit. The first one is tight and will mar the brass a little when the bolt comes back, but they all feed fine. I’m building a 7saum and It looks like my 300wm magazine will feed them fine.

OP
F
Why not just use the factory magazines? My buddies 300wsm load into my 300wm and it feeds. 3 fit. The first one is tight and will mar the brass a little when the bolt comes back, but they all feed fine. I’m building a 7saum and It looks like my 300wm magazine will feed them fine.

I have a 300 win factory mag and the 300 wsm cases do not work. Very tight and seem to jam the nose down. I could buy the factory mag for 300 wsm, but the point was to be able to load 200-212 grain bullets as far out as needed.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully Mike will be along to help. I bought one of the original versions and had trouble with the third round. They sent out a new set of springs.

OP
F
If U want to sell it ill bye it... I have been trying to bye one and they are out of stock...

I’m keeping it. Like I said, even if it only fits 2 rounds, I still think it’s the best option for my application. I emailed Mike to see what he thinks about this issue. If it’s an issue at all I guess.

OP
F

TX_Diver

WKR
Wrong one. The one I have is the Hells Canyon Armory model.
Is Mountain Tactical still in business? I went to their website and everything is out of stock and the page hasn’t been updated since Cyber Monday.

Meant to be an alternative if you were looking.

I ordered a spring from them a few weeks back ago and called them with another question a few days ago.

I'm gonna order a .223 mag shortly so I hope they're not shutting the door before then!

OP
F

I ordered a spring from them a few weeks back ago and called them with another question a few days ago.

I'm gonna order a .223 mag shortly so I hope they're not shutting the door before then!

Sounds like not. Just seemed like everything was out of stock, but that’s about everything gun related these days.

Rockchuck

WKR
Definitely should allow for 3. Are you able to load 3 in the mag when it is loose? As mentioned above, you may need to shim bottom metal. I have 2 of these in my 7mm max using factory bottom metal paired with the crux altitude stock. Fits 3 for me both before and after the spring upgrade went out.

OP
F
Definitely should allow for 3. Are you able to load 3 in the mag when it is loose? As mentioned above, you may need to shim bottom metal. I have 2 of these in my 7mm max using factory bottom metal paired with the crux altitude stock. Fits 3 for me both before and after the spring upgrade went out.

This one is only a couple months old. I bought it while my rifle was still at the smiths.
It loads three no problem when loose, but with three it won’t lock with the bolt closed. Open the bolt and it locks in place, but you can’t close the bolt without picking up a round. So yeah, it’s only working with 2 rounds loaded.

OP
F
Got a response from Mike. Looks like when using the factory stock, 2+1 is all you’ll get in a 300 wsm. Most other wsm/prc/saum calibers should still work as a 3+1, but the 300 wsm is a little too fat. If you use an aftermarket stock, you should be able to get 3+1 in a 300 wsm as the pillars are a little longer. Just FYI.
Also he’s working on making more so they should come back in stock in a month or so.

Lawnboi

WKR

Look them up on midway, your welcome

Iv got three of their 223 mags, they are great

Oldffemt

WKR
I have 2 of the HCA mags and use them in a t3 300wsm with a t3x stock. I can load 3 in the mag and get it to seat with a light tap on the bottom of the mag.