HD Vs NON HD

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner and I compared Vortex Viper 10x42 HD and non-HD binos side by side and really couldn't see any difference.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The difference is bigger in some optics more than others. The older Viper binoculars actually had "HD" objective glass, and controlled Chromatic Aberration pretty well, so the newer model didn't improve too much.

On the other hand, the difference in CA control in Swaro spotters between HD and non-HD is pretty noticeable, especially when digiscoping.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As bitterroot mentioned, it's definitely a factor when you're taking photos through a scope and is more noticeable when you have high contrast areas like a skylined animal with blue/gray sky as a back-drop or snow against antlers. It's not so critical for actually glassing... It's nice to get better color rendition and might help you spot fine details in rare instances, but for the most part it's not going to be a substantial difference. If you're on a budget, save the money and get standard glass unless one of your priorities is photo and video through the scope.

My 2 cents anyway.

Coop

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Good info, Darin.

I would say HD glass gets really beneficial in snowy conditions, especially glassing burns in the winter. If someone spends a lot of time glassing in snowy conditions, I would recommend the HD/ED/FL CA-controlling glass.

It also aids in contrast, and I see a noticeable (not huge) difference when trying to pick out those gray bucks in gray cliffs.

I think we aren't that far off from all optics using some sort of CA-controlling glass objectives from the top to bottom of the optics lines.

JNDEER

WKR
My only experience is between the Razor (non-HD) and the Viper (HD). The viper has a brighter and more "crisp" image than the Razor. It is also brighter around the edges where my Razor lacks that.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spoke with a Tech guy at Swarovski and he told me he personally didn't think the human eye could see the difference between Non HD and HD glass. He said it shows up the most with taking photos through the specific HD optics. I have HD optics and I can't say they are any better than the Non HD I have used in the past.

Good info, Darin.

I would say HD glass gets really beneficial in snowy conditions, especially glassing burns in the winter. If someone spends a lot of time glassing in snowy conditions, I would recommend the HD/ED/FL CA-controlling glass.

I certainly agree with that. Some "non-HD" class is far better than others at keeping CA to a minimum, and if your glass has weaknesses, patchy snow will bring it out. Light and snow conditions like this from last spring were really irritating with a pair of the non-APO Minox HG binoculars. Looked like the edges of the snowfields were on fire!

IMG_0368.jpg

As far as a $600 difference? Probably not for most people. Really depends on how much $600 is worth to you and how good your eyes are. My dad has excellent eyesight and can tell the difference. Myself, not so much, except in those high contrast situations.

Yk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I spoke with a Tech guy at Swarovski and he told me he personally didn't think the human eye could see the difference between Non HD and HD glass. He said it shows up the most with taking photos through the specific HD optics. I have HD optics and I can't say they are any better than the Non HD I have used in the past.

Doug,

I think (hope) the tech guy you were talking to was referring to low-contrast viewing. CA is certainly visible to the human eye in high contrast situations (more visible to some than to others) and it is definitely less visible through HD/ED/FL systems. Just like Yellowknife's snow "on fire." I have seen that myself on several occasions.

Of course a good view comes from the whole optical design, and not just the HD objective component. I have seen some cheaper "ED" optics that showed gobs of CA.

Is HD worth it? It really depends. Optics definitely follow the law of diminishing returns. It costs a whole lot to get a small improvement in optics. Are $2500 bins twice as good as $1250 bins? Probably not to most people, but there are certainly plenty of folks out there that are willing to pay the premium for the very best.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt I really don't know. I personally don't know enough about the technical side of this subject do I refer to the experts. I could have been talking to a janitor who answered the phone in Tech Support. I know I bought the HD so I would get every possible advantage I could, which I think I get with the HD.

bowuntr

WKR
Doug and I did a side by side comparison on a hunt between his HD Swaro spotter and my non HD Swaro spotter. I can honestly say that there was a difference... but not a $600 difference... IMO. Ed F

dotman

WKR
If you only plan to use the spotter for finding game then there is no reason for the HD but based on everything I have read if you plan to digiscope you will kick yourself if you try to save a few bucks and don't getthe HD.

In my opinion when I spend alot for gear, I look at all ways it can be used. So an HD is in my future mainly for the picture and video non hunting trips.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
dotman,

You might be surprised when you get that HD spotter that the reduced CA will be useful for general glassing. High contrast viewing seems to come up often in the high country for me.

dotman

WKR
dotman,

You might be surprised when you get that HD spotter that the reduced CA will be useful for general glassing. High contrast viewing seems to come up often in the high country for me.

:) oh I know there will be other good benefits but I mainly mean I would have a hard time justifying the added cost if I only used it for hunting.