Head to head backpack test, HUNT VERSION kifaru and forloh

Ucsdryder

WKR
Quick background…I’m an avid hunter, bow and rifle, and over the last decade I’ve been lucky enough to put meat in the freezer consistently. I upgraded from a kifaru bikini to a newer kifaru duplex a few years back and I’ve packed multiple elk and deer 3-5 miles with that setup every year. It’s worked well, but I’m always on the hunt for something better! @KickinNDishin hooked me up with forloh to test their new pack. I played with the first version and gave my feedback, which brings us to the second version, a 26” frame that should be similar in functionality to my kifaru.

My idea is to make this review slightly different than the normal reviews and focus less on the numbers (weight, material, components) and focus more on the in field potential of the 2 packs. This will make it more subjective, but with a body shape that’s pretty average, 6 feet, 185lbs, I’m hoping this will be a useful way to answer the “which pack should I buy” and “which pack is best”. If this style of review is useful and popular, I’d like to continue to do head to heads with other packs.

I am going to do a side by side, hunt version, of the 2 packs. The plan is to alternate packs each day, and if I kill a bull, alternate packs for meat hauling each trip. At the end of the test I hope to have a clear winner for functionality, comfort, and day pack and meat packing usability.

Knowing the style of test I’ll be doing, I’d love to hear some feedback from those interested in these two packs. I plan on covering fit, comfort, functionality of pockets and compartments, and pack-ability as a day pack and meat hauler. What am I missing? Anything else you’d like to see compared or points of focus?

@robby denning @Justin Crossley

Ashenwelt

FNG
I am looking forward to your review! If you can, please include how you are carrying your bow and any add-ons for carrying things you are using. Rifles are just easier for me to carry than my bow.

I need a new pack lol.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
As someone that hunts from a tree, I am curious how effective the waterproof “tub” of the pack is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Luckily this won’t be a beauty contest or kifaru would be in trouble! Wheels up tomorrow for the first 4 days of the head to head test. View attachment 447269
Looks very reflective/flashy. A few years back, my brother was stalking a buck, and I was watching from about a mile away. He strapped his bow to his pack to climb a cliff, and I kept seeing flashes from his back. After a bit, I realized it was the sun on his carbon arrows. Let us know if that is the case with the Forloh out in the sun.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Looks very reflective/flashy. A few years back, my brother was stalking a buck, and I was watching from about a mile away. He strapped his bow to his pack to climb a cliff, and I kept seeing flashes from his back. After a bit, I realized it was the sun on his carbon arrows. Let us know if that is the case with the Forloh out in the sun.
Thanks Justin! I’ll get some side by side pictures of both packs in the sun! Leaving for elk camp in 3 hours!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can’t wait for the results. Only question I have is how or have you attached a holster to the Forloh?

I’ll be back again this weekend for a ML bull hunt so I’m hoping to get some more time in the pack.
Good deal, nice to hear real world feedback

I had zero interest in the gen 1, now I’m intrigued. The gen 1 with the 22” frame would be a cool niche pack, but I am not paying that price for a niche pack… the taller frame makes it a contender, especially living where I do, waterproofness is a cool feature…

The 26” frame is taller than I prefer in the brush, but that’s a lot better than too short, and I have plenty of packs for that already… I’m pretty interested. I’m getting the itch for a new pack, and was just going to wait for the new EXO whenever they release their next gen… this pack has some potential to change my mind

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Update…

After using the forloh extensively, and talking to @robby denning and @robert_cpo_forloh multiple times, we’ve decided to shelve the head to head test. The pack has promise, but just isn’t ready to compete in a head to head test.

I will give forloh credit, I had some feedback that they IMMEDIATELY implemented into the new packs. Whether they ultimately end up with a pack that competes with the top tier manufacturers, they seem to be willing to listen to constructive criticism and reacting quickly with changes. Forloh is sending me an updated frame with some of the improvements I suggested. I hope to test it further over the next few months.

As far as the head to head hunt tests go, I believe a lot of backpack shoppers would be interested in real life testing and I’m hoping to find a pack to test against my kifaru for some upcoming hunts! DA22C308-27B1-4C14-8602-9EC80B8A1E75.jpegB649D3B5-03FC-4597-99D3-35D0145208C5.jpeg18320912-5546-40E4-98EB-39B95F4032AB.jpeg