Head-to-Head: Carbon v. Aluminum Tripods

Tripods: Do you prefer Carbon or Aluminum

• Total voters
I've exclusively used an aluminum Slik Sprint Pro II for backpack hunting that I've removed the center post on. I've had it for 10 years, and use it with the ball head that came with it. Typically its used when I am sitting down on my glassing pad, my back up against a rock, sheep hunting, caribou hunting, etc. I "flatten" the legs out to the second notch on the angle adjustment and sit with my legs under the tripod and rarely extend it more than 1-1/2 to 2 leg extensions of the 3.

It works with my angled Swaro 20-60x65 ATM and the Nikon ED50. Certainly not the best tripod, but am satisfied with it or would replace it. I think its about 30 ounces with the center post removed. The aluminum legs are encased in warm, quiet, black foam up high where I tend to hang on to them to help stabilize the tripod if its windy.

Occasionally I'll extend it to full height to glass standing up to see over willows when caribou or moose hunting....not too bad with the angled scope and the legs only angled out to the first notch.

For truck or quad glassing my big Bogen aluminum tripod with a Manfrotto pistol grip head gets the nod. It is heavy as heck, very stable and has has the center post extension. Great combo, but I wouldn't carry it more than a few hundred yards which rules out any backpack trips.

Appreciate the tripod testing going on. Good stuff.

I use carbon for both hunting/glassing and photography. If I feel the wind is moving my camera or glass I carry a light weight bag I can fill with rocks, sand or dirt to hang from the bottom of the tripod. That way I’m not carrying unneeded weight in my pack.

DRUSS

WKR
I have seen the total height number and collapsed size is same as current medium, but was there a weight specified yet?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen the total height number and collapsed size is same as current medium, but was there a weight specified yet?
No, they didn't tell me the weight, but I can only guess it's gonna be more. I'll get it weighed as soon as it lands.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the price they definitely should back it up! Haha

In seriousness I think the twist lock is the issue with the Slik. That's where mine broke. I have an aluminum Slik with flick locks that is about 15 years old and still works great.

My choice for carbon is Gitzo. They are light, steady, strong, and seem to hold up to years in the backcountry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Hey Justin,

I have reached out to Slik and they have assured me that there are ample parts available. Please reach out to Glen Nash at 714-849-5700, and make sure to dial extension 221. He will be happy to help with whatever you need.

rob

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Justin,

I have reached out to Slik and they have assured me that there are ample parts available. Please reach out to Glen Nash at 714-849-5700, and make sure to dial extension 221. He will be happy to help with whatever you need.

rob
Nice work Rob! Thanks for doing that for Justin.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Justin,

rob

Rob,

Thanks for the contact info! I talked with Glen and he is emailing me a parts diagram so I can let him know exactly which parts I need. Great customer service!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update--we're back on.

OK, due to member feedback and in the interest in getting the most fair and current review, Outdoorsmans and S&S sent new tripods:

Outdoorsmans sent their new Medium Aluminum Prototype

-Weight is 2lbs 12ozs (vs the previous 2lbs 6 ozs)
-Extended Height is 51.5" (vs. the previous 46")
-Collapsed Height is 18.5" (vs. the previous 14.5")

you'll notice in the pics below, it gains it's height by it's legs, not the extended center column like the Compact shown in lead post

S&S sent the upgraded SLIK 624 that includes a spring loaded center hook and a blue collar under the twist locks (for aesthetic purposes according to Rob at S&S)

-Weight is 1lb 13.3 ozs (vs. the previous 13.9 ozs)
-Extended Height is 45.75" (vs. the previous 45.5")

-Collapsed Height is 14.5" (same as previous)

P3220285.jpg
P3220283.jpg

201b05e49b1acee577a0f6c3ac729055.jpg

355bffb8ba3daba2e41387aaf028907e.jpg

eb8b9729075c3c729e2ee315b9a16c7f.jpg

69dc5ba962e6a2d695e8a0de9c380522.jpg

reckon

FNG
$610 38oz vs $230 32oz. The Outdoorsmans better be a lot steadier and last 3 times as long for the weight and price penalty.

I’ve compared a carbon to an Outdoorsmans in the past. I’ll be curious to see what your final thoughts are.
To be fair, Slik is made in China. American manufacturing, if you care about that kind of thing, tends to come at a premium. Given the current economy, a case can be made for either purchase.
My 2 cents – if you're able to afford the extra cost, I'd rather see the money stay in the U.S., but I realize that's not an option for everyone.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, Slik is made in China. American manufacturing, if you care about that kind of thing, tends to come at a premium. Given the current economy, a case can be made for either purchase.
My 2 cents – if you're able to afford the extra cost, I'd rather see the money stay in the U.S., but I realize that's not an option for everyone.

We get all that but if you read the original post we’re trying to just determine carbon versus aluminum. Outdoorsman doesn’t currently offer a carbon in their American line. That’s what they’re trying to decide if there is enough market to offer one USA made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcdinaz

FNG
I am torn, can't wait to see your test results.

My current setup is CF Manfrotto but my plan is to change to an Outdoorsman this season.

MattB

WKR
While I do think that aluminum will be more stable apples to apples (my Slick 613 tripod tends to get a slight vibration in moderate to high wind), I prefer carbon for lower weight.

And while I prefer flick locks for trekking poles, I really prefer twist for tripods simply for pulling them out of the pack. Less hang-up's.

One thing to consider with the Outdoorsmens tripods, it is good practice to carry the right sized allen wrenches to tighten the various bolts as they can back out after time (esp if it is a truck tripod and subject to lots of bouncing/vibration).

tdot

WKR
We get all that but if you read the original post we’re trying to just determine carbon versus aluminum. Outdoorsman doesn’t currently offer a carbon in their American line. That’s what they’re trying to decide if there is enough market to offer one USA made.

Really Right Stuff is American made carbon, and they can't keep their gear on the shelves.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update, sorry it's gone silent. Even though I took all those photos of the tripods, just realized there was no stud in either Outdoorsmans when I went to leave yesterday. I'm waiting on the stud then I can get to glassing/testing.

Block

WKR
This year I bought a Sirui CF Tripod and pulled half the leg extensions out,, got it down to 12 oz without the VA-5 head,,, will probably use this for multiday backpack hunts... but for day hunts it’s pretty hard to beat the Outdoorsman medium. Love that thing. A little extra weight ain’t guna kill ya

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This year I bought a Sirui CF Tripod and pulled half the leg extensions out,, got it down to 12 oz without the VA-5 head,,, will probably use this for multiday backpack hunts... but for day hunts it’s pretty hard to beat the Outdoorsman medium. Love that thing. A little extra weight ain’t guna kill ya

I believe this prototype that I’m testing, is equivalent to the Outdoorsmans medium. Looking forward to this test.

I love my carbon tripod but understand the need to be careful and mindful when using it. But to save the weight I am completely fine doing that.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
4/22/20 Update:

Took both tripods out on the shed hunt last week and got some serious side-by-side time on them for a wind/stability test

I set up on a ridge with 10-20 mph winds coming from left to right-- pretty typical winds for a lot of hunts.
57ef959718ce9ede002a1b65755f6b96.jpg

I set the SLIK 624 and the Outdoorsman's Medium at 31 inches for Swaro' SLC 15X

For the Swaro' BTX, it's an angled optic that doesn't need as much tripod height, so I set them at 25 inches.

I did not extend the column on either tripod, all testing was off the legs.

I used the Outdoorsman's Pan Head for both tripods

15X Test

b24b7fc7596cd9a74ff4b7c50f8e9adc.jpg

c69146b1b4b5dca1baaec7e7122bce08.jpg

Glassing for sheds with the 15x at 31 inches, I did notice a small difference in stability between the tripods, with the heavier Outdoorsman's Medium with the edge. There was a slight shake in SLIK 624, but could still glass just fine.

BTX Test

817682b6357f4a2b31a5b8d691dafe4a.jpg

37ee20202bbe7466a307d308f17203ed.jpg

With the BTX at 25 inches, there was a noticeable difference between the two, the SLIK was tolerable but sometimes if a gust hit, you had to wait a few seconds for the image to stabilize

The Outdoorsman‘s was very stable with hardly any shake, even in the gusts. The BTX weighs pounds more than the 15X, and so it's gotta be a function of the lower height combined with the aluminum tripod accounting for the increased stability.

A solid win for stability would go to the Outdoorsman's Medium at both heights.

Now I'm gonna start packing them around in my Stone Glacier 3300, to compare perceived weight and bulk. I say "perceived" because obviously the the Outdoorsman's weighs 14 ozs more and is 4" taller in specs than the SLIK, but how does that translate once in the pack and on my shoulders.

Last edited: