Head-to-Head: Carbon v. Aluminum Tripods

Tripods: Do you prefer Carbon or Aluminum

• Total voters
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
it's a bummer there going to ruin the current medium tripod by adding a third section and making it heavier.
I really enjoy my current outdoorsman medium.
I've been really contemplating picking up a carbon to replace it. I may have to get one now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Let us know what you do and how it works out.

Mr. W

FNG
Was just at the store comparing a carbon model over the aluminum. Hefting them and setting them up. Carbon is nice but was $200 more. For about a 1lb your paying about $200. Not sure if I can swallow that. I'll just make my kids carry the aluminum one! :D

Tilzbow

WKR
I owned two Outdoorsmans tripods and sold both for a big loss. They were good but I didn’t like the noisier aluminum or the latches that seemed to constantly require tightening and cleaning to prevent them from being noisy and sticking. Neither were compact and constantly hung up on overhead brush. I also prefer the twist locks since they don’t hang up when extracting from my pack and I can operate them quicker and quieter. I absolutely love the Outdoorsmans pan head and still have two of those.

The tripods I moved to are both carbon Siriu of the same model but different lengths. At 6’6” I can glass standing up with the taller of the two while most could stand with the shorter. I didn’t save much weight vs the Outdoorsmans but that wasn’t the reason I switched and I’ve noticed zero difference in stability. I love the feature of the Siriu where the legs fold over and shorten the tripod even more.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Have you looked at any of the slik AMT alloy tripods yet @robby denning ? As much as I'd love to have an outdoorsman I couldn't justify the cost. the Slik aluminum's are a fraction of the price and just as stable. The hardware is nowhere near as nice but I've got years behind a number of their entry level tripods and have been very happy with them.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have you looked at any of the slik AMT alloy tripods yet @robby denning ? As much as I'd love to have an outdoorsman I couldn't justify the cost. the Slik aluminum's are a fraction of the price and just as stable. The hardware is nowhere near as nice but I've got years behind a number of their entry level tripods and have been very happy with them.
Hey man, I have only used their CF tripods. Thanks for the tip.

westonita

FNG
Anyone have any issues with cracking or fracture with shooting (>308) from a CF tripod? I know they are tough, but does that impulse recoil wreak havoc?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have any issues with cracking or fracture with shooting (>308) from a CF tripod? I know they are tough, but does that impulse recoil wreak havoc?

I’ve shot my 7mag off my old CF Vanguard with no issues. But a very small sample size of a few shots. And this was with gun cradled on the tripod, not attached, that could change the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
I have had a 1st Gen green Outdoorsmans Med for decades and it's the only tripod that's stayed consistently with me in all of that time. I've had same category Slik's (3 and 4 leg) and Promaster, the OD wins every time in stability/bounce tests. The Slik and Promaster's are nice and have some pro's but when it comes to stability and bounce the OD easily wins. The only tripod I've owned in roughly the same category that beats the OD is an RRS. It's a little heavier than the OD but it beats the OD in stability/bounce. The RRS is a really nice tripod but the downside is it's very expensive. With a delete of the 4th leg it's very close to the same weight as my OD and it gets the nod these days. The biggest thing I've noticed that negates stability is raising the center column too far, above a certain point it wrecks any stability you gained with a more stable tripod. Heads are a factor as well, so if you're looking for stability you are going to have to question/test heads too.

PS I never stand to glass so that's not in my criteria at all. I sit on the ground or use a short stool, I prefer the ground 90% of the time.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a 1st Gen green Outdoorsmans Med for decades and it's the only tripod that's stayed consistently with me in all of that time. I've had same category Slik's (3 and 4 leg) and Promaster, the OD wins every time in stability/bounce tests. The Slik and Promaster's are nice and have some pro's but when it comes to stability and bounce the OD easily wins. The only tripod I've owned in roughly the same category that beats the OD is an RRS. It's a little heavier than the OD but it beats the OD in stability/bounce. The RRS is a really nice tripod but the downside is it's very expensive. With a delete of the 4th leg it's very close to the same weight as my OD and it gets the nod these days. The biggest thing I've noticed that negates stability is raising the center column too far, above a certain point it wrecks any stability you gained with a more stable tripod. Heads are a factor as well, so if you're looking for stability you are going to have to question/test heads too.

PS I never stand to glass so that's not in my criteria at all. I sit on the ground or use a short stool, I prefer the ground 90% of the time.
Bbob, so glad you stopped in on this thread. When AZ guys talk tripods, I listen. Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m still using these tripods.

New observation. I like the twist locks better on the SLIK verses the flip locks on the Outdoorsmans The reason being that when you go to pull your tripod out of your pack, the flip locks catch on everything and it can be hard to get your tripod out in a hurry if you need to, especially if your pack's full. The twist locks don’t hang up as much.
ab262b77ab816f25d180c7a735a4a249.jpg

fad62d12d49b6cdd574cc46977c085f0.jpg

I do like how the aluminum Outdoorsmans handles the BTXs over the lighter carbon. I find I’m using it more as long as I’m road-based scouting/hunting

424bb27654dd0434f53242ccbede0ae0.jpg

8c61507b0195e517ce91b806e57a22f5.jpg

Last edited:

New observation. I like the twist locks better on the SLIK verses the flip locks on the Outdoorsmans The reason being that when you go to pull your tripod out of your pack, the flip locks catch on everything and it can be hard to get your tripod out in a hurry if you need to, especially if your packs full. The twist locks don’t hang up as much.

I do like how the aluminum Outdoorsmans handles the BTXs over the lighter carbon.

424bb27654dd0434f53242ccbede0ae0.jpg

8c61507b0195e517ce91b806e57a22f5.jpg

I agree, they do tend to snag on things... but that being said, I find them being way more user friendly, and faster to set up.

BBob

WKR

New observation. I like the twist locks better on the SLIK verses the flip locks on the Outdoorsmans The reason being that when you go to pull your tripod out of your pack, the flip locks catch on everything and it can be hard to get your tripod out in a hurry if you need to, especially if your pack's full. The twist locks don’t hang up as much.

Meh...if you stick with it and like it you'll develop the Outdoorsmans twist and shake to get it in and out of the pack. After awhile it'll become automatic where you won't even notice and it won't slow you down ;)
Seriously!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, they do tend to snag on things... but that being said, I find them being way more user friendly, and faster to set up.

I agree with this. Plus you can work on those flick locks easier than the twist locks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hey Robby......you wouldn't want to loan out those BTX's to me for Sept and Oct this year would you? I have a moose tag and a sheep tag that needs to be filled. :D

Hogyotedeer

Banned
Carbon tripods for some reason are more stable with less flex and absorb vibration. I had both, carbon and aluminum Monfrotto 190's and the aluminum was sold off. I don't regret the purchase at all.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby......you wouldn't want to loan out those BTX's to me for Sept and Oct this year would you? I have a moose tag and a sheep tag that needs to be filled. :D

Oh man the pressure. Sorry bro, they are spoken for for those months. But if you ever get up here or I down there, I’d love you to look through them.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This is a great thread - thank you. I'm in the middle of the rabbit hole of trying to upgrade my tripod and the only thing I know that's been more painful is looking at night vision setups. This thread helped me in ways that I hadn't anticipated from the CF vs AL starting point. Thanks!

Robby, looking forward to meeting you in person in a few months.