Heading down for a GA Hog hunt.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Heading down with a buddy for a camping/hog hunt. Gonna be taking my recurve and I believe were setting up in swallow creek wma at the end of the week!
I dont have any expectations but would love to hear anythign you have to offer tips tricks suggestions whatever- never hunted hogs before.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t recall the tips and tricks of hog huniting with father in the 70s around ft Stewart and hunter army airfield father an army ranger but do recall when he shot them they literally moved due to thousands of ticks on their bodies moving as the body heat left the bodies 🤩👍

stump06

WKR
Not too sure about swallow creeks hog population. My advice is to walk a lot and find fresh sign, It'll help to be in shape as those mountains can be tough. If it doesn't look like its just been plowed up its not fresh enough. Hogs move a lot. Take a fishing pole, the DNR is stocking a lot of creeks right now with trout and you can find natives in the some of the mountain streams. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm planning on heading up this fall for a bear hunt/fishing trip.

Never hunted that area. Mainly south Ga, North Florida. If it’s hot, find water. They will be near cool areas during the day. You should find fresh sign near there. We usually hunt with dogs and catch them alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never hunted the area your talking about. I would hunt southern ga. Use dogs or thermal. Got several feeders now with camera on them. Alot of hogs but not much in daylight.
If you want to use primitive weapons just find someone with dogs and use a knife

rayporter

WKR
stop at the ranger station not far from where swallow creek crosses the road. they were a lot of help for deer and bear. one of them even drove up and pointed to a spot. we never seen any hog sign.

hogs are probably there but you need to get some help locating them.

The most productive method is certainly going Jansn's route and running a pack of dogs. Probably not an option since it is a public hunt. Focus on bottom areas and look for a swath of ground that looks freshly plowed. They can really destroy patch of ground quickly. Good luck!

Like a few others have said, you gotta find fresh sign. Hogs can travel miles in one night, so don’t get caught up on spots “that just look good”. If you don’t see any tracks, rooting, mud on trees, etc, keep on moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
You will be just few miles from chattahoche wma as well saw lots of sign thre last year might be worth a look too

OP
K

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Wow cant believe I forgot to update! Sorry, we saw no hogs and very little sign. covered a bunch of ground and talked with locals. We did find a TON of bear sign and a few bears, enough to probably try for a trip in bear season! It was a ton of fun camping, hiking, stump shooting and scouting though. And gorgeous area too.

mooster

WKR
There’s hogs there but there always moving and it can be hard to pin them down. Don’t forget there’s tons of National Forest in the area that’s huntable too.

I’m from south GA and one method I like to use is to walk with the wind in my favor with my bow and just stop and listen. You can actually get really close to them as long as they don’t smell you. They can make a ton of noise. But like everyone has said, you need to find fresh hog sign because they will move around a lot. But don’t be afraid to cover ground when they are the most vocal.