Heading out in a week for a week. What am I forgetting?

Just thought I’d ask what we have all forgotten when heading out for a week long elk hunt. Not too late for me at this point. Bets and worst things? Let’s hear it! Some info. Floating a small river. 4 guys taking our time on not a lot of river to travel. Sleeping in tents blogs of room for gear in the raft. And go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Releases, magazines for rifles, socks (not sure how this works, was not me), gloves, and I'm sure I can think of some other things. Usually my conpadres pack way too much stuff rather than forget anything. I've got my list pretty well established and haven't forgotten anything in a long while.

Auto maintenance is probably the one I hear about most that bites folks. Wheel bearings, u-joints, fluids, etc. And your vehicle extraction and spares/repair kit. Applies to rafting too, how do you repair a big tear?

Now, I have also been with guys that forgot this was supposed to be fun. Don't forget that part. You should be able to just sit in the woods and smile about just being there.

Jeremy

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
Good point on vehicle maintenance, I saw no less than six hunter's vehicles with out of state tags broken down on the shoulder of major highways during my travels in Colorado. I saw several other vehicles on the side of the road that I suspected were hunter's vehicles but couldn't be 100% certain.

I think vehicle maintenance/emergency stuff is almost always forgotten. I just had my tires rotated and balanced, oil changed, all fluids checked and topped off and checked my filters. I have a roadside emergency kit that is well stocked. Also checked my spare tire and made sure it had adequate air pressure and made sure I knew where all my tools/jack were. I am bringing an extra 5 gallon fuel container, that way I don't have to worry about finding a gas station when I'm way back on some forest service road and realize I need some fuel!!!

Other small things include silverware/plastic ware, Bowels/plates, trash bags, toilet paper!!

Also, if you or someone in your hunting party takes prescription meds, make sure they bring them!!

Forgot my small/light tripod one time, had to carry the big heavy I use from the truck. That sucked.

Silverware/plates/napkins/paper towels is a good one.

Bring a little bottle of peanut oil and spices for when you kill one.

Patch kit for your pad, patch kit for the boats. If you can float, sleep, and hunt you're good.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I did a river float hunt last year and had an incredible time. It was nice having room on the raft for extras, like beer and whisky and fly rods. Unfortunately it's been a bit of a trend for me the last couple years that no animals were harmed in the making of that trip, but we're already planning another because it was such a cool adventure.

Gila

WKR
twice i have hunted with someone that forgot silverware. and one of those also forgot his elk tag.
I know of one guy that couldn't find his tag at home to pack it. My tags stay on my desk under a paper weight until I start packing, then I immediately place them into the kill kit that goes into the day pack.

TX_Diver

WKR
I know of one guy that couldn't find his tag at home to pack it. My tags stay on my desk under a paper weight until I start packing, then I immediately place them into the kill kit that goes into the day pack.

A buddy lost his awhile ago and was scrambling to find it right before the hunt. Mine go in the safe as I'm not in/out of it much. I pack from a list and don't cross anything off til it's in the bag. Then there's a list of the few bags/boxes I take and they don't get crossed off until they're in the truck!

Gila

WKR
The wife just gave me some cocoa packets ro pack. I almost forgot hand and foot warmers as it has been 90 degrees here so I am not thinking about staying warm. Yesterday I roasted working on trailer lights. Seems like I am always working on trailer lights as they aren't designed for mountain roads. I always need about 10 feet of insulated wire and a roll of electrical tape. A roll of duct tape usually gets used for something. I have a wierd wall tent. I need to pack a pair of channel locks, an extra large screw driver and a hammer to attach the tent canvas to the frame. Those tools usually stay in the tent bag though.

I always forget something, hopefully nothing I can't do without. One morning I went turkey hunting about an hour's drive from home. I put the turkey vest on, went to grab the shotgun and uh, didn't bring it!

rayporter

WKR
the day before season came in he dont have a tag so we had to go to Durango to a regional office to get a replacement.

same guy forgot his sleeping bag once.

the only thing i ever forgot is my little cooker to make coffee on the trail. i found a small can about tuna or cat food size and punched some holes in it and had coffee every day.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I went through 2 axles in less than 24 hours for the trailer, thinking about bringing a spare. First one in Topeka and second one 40 miles shy of Denver. Anyway, I usually take too much. But am a big believer in list and checking them twice.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Extra keys for the truck. Losing keys on a hunting trip is a mood dampener for sure. Coming back to the truck exhausted and ready to get back home and not having keys is miserable. It's not like you have time to spare because the hunting trip is always as long as you can possibly make it.