Heading out to CO GMU 53 in 2 days

User Name

FNG
Hitting the road in 2 days to make my way to Colorado. Hunting 53, talked to biologist/rangers and got the skinny. My hunting partner scouted a few days about a month ago and there suggestions matched up. We have a game plan but that south west region of the within the wilderness area of 53 keeps me up at night. Specifically around Tater Heap and Mt. Guero. We will be hunting the first 8-10 days of the season, backpacking no horses here. Any suggestions or knowledge of 53 would be appreciated. No secret, as of right now we plan on pounding miles through Beckwith Pass into Cliff Creek area.

rokclmb

FNG
Good luck! I'll be near there the 2nd week of archery. Be curious to know what the biologist/rangers had to say. Never was able to get much reliable info when I called.

Stwrt9

WKR
good luck! i've been researching unit 53 as well and will be in that area 2-11!

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be in that area archery hunting the 12th through 22nd. Can't wait!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Does Colorado suffer from all the out of state hunters that seem to flock there? I know in Montana we get our fair share but it's not that bad until maybe rifle season. Is it easier to get a tag in CO as an out of stater vs Montana? I've never looked into it much. I have a friend in Minnesota I'd like to come out for an elk hunt and just wondering the process. Also isn't it frowned on to talk about your hunting spot/unit? Seems like here good friends don't even ask the units they hunt you're going with them and need to check the regs.
Sorry for the post hi-jack just wanting to learn some stuff and good luck!

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
Does Colorado suffer from all the out of state hunters that seem to flock there? I know in Montana we get our fair share but it's not that bad until maybe rifle season. Is it easier to get a tag in CO as an out of stater vs Montana? I've never looked into it much. I have a friend in Minnesota I'd like to come out for an elk hunt and just wondering the process. Also isn't it frowned on to talk about your hunting spot/unit? Seems like here good friends don't even ask the units they hunt you're going with them and need to check the regs.
Sorry for the post hi-jack just wanting to learn some stuff and good luck!
The Colorado parks and wildlife website has a ton of information that will answer all your questions. I just started digging into it this year and was amazed at the amount of information on their website.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of elk in this unit, I wouldn't worry about the drought. If anything it makes them easier to locate.

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
53 will be full of people again this year just like the previous years.
For what it's worth, I find all these people go super deep to the same 4-5 drainages and bump up against each other. Lots of spots 1.5-3 miles in on the unit edge that you can hunt for a week without seeing other hunters. Have been sad to see more cars every year for the last 10 years.

Ultraheight

Lil-Rokslider
Could a CO Unit 53 wizard answer an access question by DM? Looking at a major drainage that I'm sure must have an outfitter trail/non-official USFS track going up it (seeing glimpses of it by satellite), but if it doesn't exist, has big implications for a two-truck through-hunt. I've hunted 53 for seven years but switching things up this year

JoshB94

FNG
Following along. My dad and I are headed for likely his last elk trip and my first we're mostly going for fun with hopes of a shot near access to a road. He's going to retire to easier hunts due to heart attacks. If anyone local has a few tricks up their sleeves or Intel I can throw 1,000 rifle mag primers in my bag to take with me and leave there.