Heading to the Flat Tops

My hunting group had planned on doing OTC archery this fall but life got in the way so we opted for a first season rifle hunt instead. It looks like some good country and I can see why it holds so many elk and draws so many hunters.

We are planning on hunting from a truck camp so we can bounce around depending on pressure or lack of elk sign. We will have tire chains and all normal tow straps and whatnot. Are most of the FS roads around the wilderness passable with a full size truck if snow isn't too deep? Most of the locations I have picked are clear on the other side of a particular Unit. Is it unreasonable to expect to move locations in a few hours?

It's tough to tell by satellite imaging but it looks like some fairly open country in parts. I'm guessing the elk are hanging in the darker timber immediately after the shooting starts. Can anyone confirm?

Is it worth bringing the spotter or will that just let me see elk that someone else will shoot 3 hours before I can get to them?

Are u in the flat tops or on the edge? If you are up top spotter wont do u much good unless you are planning in crossing the white river or looking up to the tops from the bottom. Its alpine timber up top everywhere i have been.

OP
F
We are planning on sticking around the edges so we can stay mobile. It sounds like the amount of horse camps will be out pacing us no matter where we go in the wilderness.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Yes you should be able to get to the wilderness boundary if there is no snow.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
The roads were good until you get into the forest. Once they are natural roads they are passable but not the greatest. I’d plan for a couple hours going in or out of it.