Heading to the range tomorrow!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I finally got the scope mounted on the gun. So tomorrow(weather permitting) heading to the range to see how she does.

I pretty much just bow hunt, but this being my sons first year hunting. I figured I better take him hunting. I bought the scope from Elknut.com. Paul is awsome to deal with!

SAM_1542.jpg

SAM_1541.jpg

SAM_1538.jpg

SAM_1539.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks awesome Ryan, keep us posted! What are you taking your son hunting for this year?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great you're getting him out, you'll remember this year for life.

Tell us about your weapon! Love the Carbon barrel. What is the rest of it?

I love my PST! I shoot mils though but they both work! Slick looking quality set-up all the way around Ryan! Who put it together for ya?

Mike

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fancy lookin set up Ryan...looks 2 perty to take into into the woods of NIdaho where you may scratch it:)

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Well my range session didn't go as planned. Had a little problem with the adjustable cheek piece. So to be continued!

As for the gun,

Christensen Arms 300 RUM with a Defensive Edge cheek Piece.
Vortex Viper PST 4-16 X 50 with Defensive Edge base and rings.

What issue with the cheek piece? I've had 2 guns with DE cheek pieces and no issues, except I have to lower it to remove the bolt. And said it's his first time hunting, so younger? You said you put him in for deer and elk so I assume this gun is for him. That must be a seriously light load if your putting him on a 300 RUM.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Pyro, its a very light load kicks like a 243. Shawn had to run a Ferrell(sp) threw the carbon stock. The stock is thinner than most stocks, so the screws are a bit to long on the front. So it keeps dropping on him. Its really not a big deal. I will get with Shawn this week and get it fixed. I also need to have him look at the trigger. It has a little jump to it. I think I will just have him put a Jewel in it! This is why we start early:)

Take a look at the Timney triggers Ryan. They have a better reputation for taking dirt and grime and overall field conditions better than Jewel but I've also heard that no trigger feels like a Jewel... ;) Something to ponder anyways and never hurts to have options! Hope you get that cheek piece worked out as I'm sure you will!

Mike

I put a jewell on the rifle I just got from RBROS and love it! When I picked it up from the smith he said I set at 2 lbs I set mine at 1.5 lbs so I can lighten it if you want. I took one "pull" on the trigger and said dont touch it. Everyone that has tried the trigger is amazed. +1 for a jewel

Travis and Jesse put together some AWESOME rifles... I live across the canyon from Jesse in Wenatchee and shoot at a monthly match with him a few times this year. They have probably forgotten more about rifles and shooting than I'll ever know. Good guys and rifles for sure.

Mike

I keep hinting to Travis to let me tag along so I can soak up some knowledge but he's too smart to let a trouble maker like me come along ;)

haha Travis is a great guy, I bet he wouldn't have a problem taking you out and going shooting some time if he is already going. I know that he is one EXTREMELY busy guy though! If you are interested, we do a monthly match here in wenatchee almost every month on the first sunday of the month. Although I'm not sure if we have one coming up in July or not. Check out this thread for a lot of WA shooters that get together quite a bit! Great group of guys and no matter your skill level its a great atmosphere!
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=960995&page=175

Mike

Last edited:
As soon as I get the little stuff ironed out, I will be out there. Mostly just a little loaded development done and a basic range card and then you'll have to put up with me ;) I will bring my kuiu pieces if you are interested in checking them out. I wear a large pant (or 34 waist) and extra large tops, so the sizes might even be right.

Yeah I'd like to check 'em out! We usually have anywhere from 15-25 shooters from all over the state show up. If you're in the market for anything shooting related I either will have it, or can get it for ya... try to hook you up with the best deal I can!

Mike

Very nice looking set-up. If that thing shoots as good as it looks your son should not have any problems.
Good luck with the deer and elk!!