Heading to WY unit 124!

fmyth

WKR
I bought a single Wyoming Wildlife Federation raffle ticket from Jaden Bales after seeing his post here on Rokslide. A few months later Jaden called to inform me that I had won a 2020 Commissioners tag. After much consideration and input from many Rokslide members I chose Elk unit 124. I had planned to scout/bow hunt the entire month of September.

Well, that didn't happen.

My business took a big hit (Corona) I got sick (Corona) and my 17 year old niece passed away (active investigation). I ended up meeting Jaden and Jess on the SE corner of 124 for a couple days of scouting in Sept. It was great to meet two young people so passionate about their careers and hunting. The scouting was pretty discouraging. The area we scouted was bone dry and we only saw 1 cow 1 spike elk and lots of feral horses.

I'm heading up to Baggs from my home in AZ on Monday Nov 2nd and I'm going to give it hell for 2 weeks. I've heard the roads in unit 124 can be a challenge in the winter and the cold and wind can make for miserable camping. I've got chains for all 4 wheels, an old Yamaha Rhino on my trailer and Kodiak tent with a Buddy heater.

I've only killed a spike and a raghorn so I am excited for a chance at a mature bull. I also drew a cow tag in the unit so I hope to come home with a cooler full of meat and possibly a bull worthy of a shoulder mount. Or at least a good story.

Wish me luck. I'll update the thread when possible.

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
Sounds like you are due for some good luck. Hunt hard knowing you got us all in your corner.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Made it to 124 Monday night. Saw 3 elk Tuesday afternoon. Drove 3 hours North today and saw elk 4 different times. 3 nice bulls. Nothing within my shooting range and all while driving on 2 track. Felt good to see them. Setting up camp tomorrow.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I've been in the unit for 11 days now and have seen elk at least 7 days. The elk are extremely skittish here. Nearly all of them have been in the open. We were driving off one of the rims yesterday and spotted a bull standing up from over a mile away. He spotted us and left the county!
This unit is a one big open windy desert with some rims, mesas and table tops. We've been too and glassed all of the areas recommended by several members here and from other local hunters. I have driven my truck a little over 1,600 miles since arriving and most of those miles were on gravel or 2 track. We had a big storm roll in the first week which killed any chance at glassing. It's been as cold as 7 deg and we've had 4 days with sustained winds ranging from 30-45mph with gusts up to 70. Today we got up and 3am and moved down to the Southern end of the unit.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I've had one shot opportunity on a bull. We glassed up a small group from about 3 miles out. They were feeding at the bottom of one of the rims a little back up in one of the drainages. We drove perpendicular 2 miles, parked and hiked up the rim face. Then we walked the top of the rim to get above the herd. This took about 2 hours as we were battered by 7 degree temps and 50+ mph winds. You had to lean into the wind to walk. At this time my hands and feet were numb, the skin on my face and legs was burning. Despite all of my clothing the 7 deg 50mph wind was blowing right through. When we were pretty sure we were above them we belly crawled across a mesa until we could see the herd. The only bull we could see was the oldest most beat up looking bull elk I've ever seen. ALL of his tines were broken off! He was so old I wouldnt want to eat him and I sure as hell would blow $$ to mount him. I could also see 3 calves and 2 cows from my vantage point but both cows were obstructed by bushes. I propped myself up on my elbows and saw a nice fat cow lying broadside in the open at 200 yards a little below the others. I decided to pass on the bull and shoot the cow. It was an easy decision as I had 7 more days to hunt and had a cow tag in addition to my Commissioners tag. I put the reticle on her and shot. Turns out I was too low to the ground and my bullet hit the very edge of the plateau. The entire herd ran out onto the flat desert floor. We watched as they ran for about 10 minutes. The worst part about this is that there were 3 big bulls in the herd that we never saw. If we had walked another 1/2 mile or so further to the other side of the little canyon I would have seen the entire herd. My buddy and I were both so cold we made a bad decision.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I will be glassing from the truck this afternoon. Its 28 degrees and the wind is howling at 40-50mph with gusts up to 70 mph. This is the most difficult hunt I've ever done. Beginning to wish I had chosen a unit that's easier to hunt.

TheCougar

WKR
I will be glassing from the truck this afternoon. Its 28 degrees and the wind is howling at 40-50mph with gusts up to 70 mph. This is the most difficult hunt I've ever done. Beginning to wish I had chosen a unit that's easier to hunt.
Dang man. Your persistence is admirable, but how is this hunt that hard?!? Is it always like this? I figured you would be window shopping for bulls.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Dang man. Your persistence is admirable, but how is this hunt that hard?!? Is it always like this? I figured you would be window shopping for bulls.

The weather in WY has been complete crap. It can make a seemingly easy hunt in "easy" country pretty dang tough.