Heading to WY unit 124!

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Any luck? Casper is showing 60 degrees and 15 knots of wind! I bet that mud is hell though, now that all the snow is melting. I’ve only experienced a little bit of it and it was BAD.
The roads have turned to peanut butter. Spent 3 hours trying to get to the back side of the Flat Tops and gave up. May have to go back to the 789 and try to get to them from the east.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
if it makes you feel any better, when you're done hunting you can go back to your home that isn't hit with 50mph gusts regularly. I have to stay here and get clobbered by the wind all winter :). I love it here, but man that wind has been super bad last couple of weeks (and that's saying a lot since it's usually windy).
If my tent stakes don't hold I may get blown back to AZ!

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Any luck? Casper is showing 60 degrees and 15 knots of wind! I bet that mud is hell though, now that all the snow is melting. I’ve only experienced a little bit of it and it was BAD.
The wind dries out the top 2-3" of the two tracks and forms a crust that you can walk on. The truck sinks right through to the peanut butterish mud and won't go far without chaining up. It did stop me from getting to the NE side of the Flat Tops so I am relocating back to the north end of the unit where I was seeing elk during my first week.

wysongdog

WKR
That's definitely the top end caliber of bull out of 124!! What a stud good work. That bull's a lot darker horned than most I've seen out of that area.

Last edited:

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
Let's Go!! You are in one of the best unit's in one of the best states. I'm just here at home working. It aint easy but you gotta rally the mentality! Stay at it, you'll find one.

P.S. Punt on that cow tag unless its standing right by the road, it ain't worth sacrificing more than 2-3 hours with the other tag you hold.

Last edited:
OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Shot a cow right before sunset as I was walking toward the truck. I let my family know that I would not be coming home for Thanksgiving. I didn't hunt today. It was my first break after 20 days of hunting. I took care of the cow, cleaned up everything and ran to town for some supplies and gas. I'll be back out there in the morning looking for a bull.

Shot a cow right before sunset as I was walking toward the truck. I let my family know that I would not be coming home for Thanksgiving. I didn't hunt today. It was my first break after 20 days of hunting. I took care of the cow, cleaned up everything and ran to town for some supplies and gas. I'll be back out there in the morning looking for a bull.

Dang! You are committed. How are you feeling? Body holding up? Mind holding up?

Ehiggins

WKR

Congratulations on the cow, now that the freezer is full it’s time for a giant to show up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt your paying your dues on this hunt. Can't wait to see what you turn up in the next couple days

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Dang! You are committed. How are you feeling? Body holding up? Mind holding up?
I was supposed to have knee surgery in March but Covid screwed that up. I wear a brace and ice it every night. Other than that I am doing pretty good. I was fortunate enough to meet a very nice rancher who rented me one of his ranch houses so I am no longer camping. I have met some very generous people on this hunt and have received help from many I have never met before including several Rokslide members. Even if I don't get my bull this has been a great experience.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I'm too tired to share all the details but here are the pictures. I was fortunate enough to kill this old warrior at 2pm today. Being solo it took a long time to break him down, pack him to the truck and then drive back. 22 days of getting up at 4:30am and 3,900 miles driven in the unit. I didn't give up. I wouldn't have been successful without direction and advice from Bryan, Mark, Steve, Randy, Jake, Lucas, Clay, Jaden Bales, Jacques, Patrick, Game Warden Kim Olsen, Biologist Phil Damm and a half a dozen locals who gave advice, helped me find lodging, gave me directions and even offered to bring mules to help me pack out. What an experience! Thank you Wyoming Wildlife Federation for a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Attachments

• 20201124_143235.jpg
    20201124_143235.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 472

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats man; definitely earned that bull, appreciate you sharing your experience