Headlamp for Entry / Exit

chutto12

FNG
What are some good headlamps for entry and exit of your hunting location? Looking for something that has either a green or red light option so that it doesn't spook the deer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
chutto12

chutto12

FNG
My car headlights don't spook them. Don't overthink it!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Lol...I guess I've been reading too many articles. I guess the marketing works!

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Lol...I guess I've been reading too many articles. I guess the marketing works!

Really though, I've got a Petzel from about 13 years ago. It does white, red, dims, and has been serving me well. You don't need anything fancy.

OP
chutto12

chutto12

FNG
Really though, I've got a Petzel from about 13 years ago. It does white, red, dims, and has been serving me well. You don't need anything fancy.

Appreciate the advice.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Petzl Tactikka +RGB has 3 settings of white light, and either solid or strobe of red, green or blue light. The coloured lights are comparable to the lowest setting of white light, so enough to walk carefully in the dark.

Not a headlamp, but I've got an older PakLite that snaps onto a 9V battery with 2 settings of green LEDs. I think they come with red LEDs too. Although handheld, they are very lightweight and last a long time with a lithium battery. The green LEDs on high have always been just enough light to walk around camp at night, and the low setting is just enough to find things in the tent. They do tend to get turned on accidentally in packs. I take mine off the battery when packing it, which partially defeats its purpose, but it still works when needed.

OP
chutto12

chutto12

FNG
white light will not spook deer and I can see better with it.
I think this was the article that I read. They were recommending green, red or orange. They state that the deer see these colors as gray which is less harsh than white lights.

*zap*

WKR
not everything you read is accurate, you may poke an eye out with a tree limb because the red light sucks. If I need a light to see in order to travel safely then I use a light that lets me see well. Plus I don't want to get shot.

I’ve got a Princeton tec that does red and white on high and low setting. I think the model is called “Fred”. I’ve liked it, the battery life is really good. I like the red light for not ruining your night vision.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve used a Streamlight Trident for years. I love the green light on it. I prefer a green light over a red light. The bright eyes I put up seems to shine better with the green vs the red light.

Also, my night vision isn’t hurt near as bad with the green light as it is with a white light.

Try not using a light. Mature deer note any source of light no matter the color. May not spook but it’s something. And you don’t want to be anything when hunting older bucks.
Make sure you have a decent route to your stand and you will be fine.
Don’t look at your phone or a headlamp etc for a while. Your night vision is actually pretty good to get you through the woods.

rj2

WKR
If I need a light I just use a zebralight on a super low setting and hold it in my hand to see where I am stepping. With their ultra low levels it won't mess up your night vision much

I’m a fan of the Princeton Tec brand. I have several and use them for road construction work at night too. They are made in USA quality and won’t let you down. I find myself using white light most of the time.

Scottyboy

WKR
I use these from NockOn. Not sure if green/white makes a shit of a difference, but they are cheap and work well (assuming you are wearing a ball cap)

aham

FNG
Ive used this light for a couple years and really like. I personally believe that using a green light does help. I will say green is better than red but not as bright at white.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210119-095257.png
    Screenshot_20210119-095257.png
    439.2 KB · Views: 27

ChrisAU

WKR
This is my go-to headlamp for everything. I find red to be much easier on my own eyes if I am trying to maintain my night/low light vision.