Headlamp help

Amac1989

FNG
Hey I've been looking around and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the options (on all gear).

I was looking at a few specific models and was hoping I could get some feedback from field users.
Really looking to keep it under $40, although I heard really great things about Fenix and like the detachable light option. However the HL55 is around 65 shipped on Amazon.

The main use is bow hunting, although I'll likely use it for night training such as hikes, runs, cycling as well. Not really experienced enough to know how much light duration and what lumens I'll need, but I do like to night explore.

-Black Diamond Storm
This one seems like it would fit the bill well for ~$40

-Black Diamond Spot

-Fenix HL55

-Petzl Tikka

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

I’m looking at a Nitecore currently to change things up. NU30 or NU32 most likely. NU25 looks like a nice option as well.
The new BD aren’t that great and reliable from what I’m reading.

Rob5589

WKR
I use the Fenix HL55. Crazy bright on high setting although I run it in the low to mid range most of the time. Battery life is extremely good. I like the fact that I can charge it off my small solar panel charger or power pack, no battery swapping.

WYCFM1

WKR
I won’t get rid of my black diamond storm ever. But look into Coast for simplicity and long lasting light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jbehredt

WKR
Another satisfied BD storm user here. Two more actually, the wife likes hers. The one touch full power thing is great.

Petzl Aktik Core. $65 on Amazon. 300 lumens, Red light in addition to white, and comes with a rechargeable battery(there is also the same light, but without the rechargeable battery, so pay attention if you decide to buy one). Remove the battery pack and you can use 3 AAA batteries instead. I love being able to run my headlamp as long and as bright as I want and then just recharge back at camp.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been through too many to count. BD Storm is my favorite to date. Really like the multiple colored red/blue/green light choices. And 350 lumens of white is plenty bright when you need it.

Netherman

WKR
Another fan of the storm. There's a learning curve for the BD single switch control, but once you've used it for awhile I don't even think about it.

NDGuy

WKR
Could look at the Zebralight option too. Lots of people rave about them including me! They have some of their older gens on sale for $50ish.

I use a princeton tec remix and am a fan. Reasonably priced and bright. I forget the lumen count but it is plenty. They have several models available. Paid a little more for mine but it has 2 white light settings, red, and green. It also has an IR setting that could be used for nightime signaling of a helicopter should the worse happen in the backcountry. Probably not necessary but I used it a lot for work at my last job, ha. Another nice thing is mine is detachable and they give you a spare bracket. Ive found it affixes to my sternum strap nicely so I can still have light out in front of me without an elastic band around my head depending on the situation.

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Another black diamond storm fan. Also have cheap princeton tec as a backup. Forgot the model, it was $15 and I think 70 lumens. Very small and lightweight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Check the reviews on REI of the new storm or find the older 350lumen model. Seems like the new 375 lumen model has some sort of glitch with lots of people having problems with it. Maybe it has been resolved but I would check first.

I have 5-6 spot headlamps (previous model) because I really liked the spot I had that was a couple generations back. I really like the light itself but durability is not great. Several of them have started to have battery contact issues. So far I have been able to fix those problems but I would not want to deal with the problem while hunting. Another one snapped off the frame. I am typically pretty easy on gear. They get used but not excessively or abused. Maybe the newer model is more durable.

LostArra

WKR
I have a weakness for flashlights. My standard recommendation is Fenix or Zebra. Compare models for features you want or need (red light?). I keep using my old HL 30 although I've got newer models. Nice intuitive big buttons, red light, great battery life. The newer bigger Fenix HL (65) start to get a little heavy.
No red light needed? Zebra is tough to beat although I had one unit that got terrible battery life and got very hot.

The BD/Petzl are nice but I'm not a AAA battery fan for anything but the tv remote.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Black Diamond Spot a ton. Had one at Ranger school and brought it on my most recent deployment. Loved it. Even though it doesn’t have the water rating of the Storm, I used my Spot in all weather conditions including tons of rain. No problems at all. It may be slightly lighter than the storm also, worth checking the specs.

I don’t think you are gaining much by spending more on the storm. Unless you plan on submerging it, even then the spot is fine, you just might need to dry the battery compartment when you have a chance.

dla

WKR
Needs to work with Energizer Lithiums, cause they work when it is cold and you can carry spares. Needs to be water proof, cause you don't want it conking out on a rainy night. Needs a good low-setting light spread cause it makes walking easier and is handy when doing chores. I've never found a red led all that useful, but an emergency flashing mode is smart. Oh and should be able to switch it with gloves on.

I've been using the Black Diamond Spot, although it has more modes than I need. Prior to that I used a Princeton TEC EOS, which was about perfect.

I will say that the color temp of the light matters when hiking at night. I prefer white over blue'ish white.