Headlamp recommendation

163bc

FNG
Newbie here. Been looking for a good headlamp. Elk, deer, and lots of outdoor activities year round. I’ve read some threads here and see mixed results on Zebralight. Anyone have suggestions. Durability and reliability is a must for me. I don’t really like rechargeable unless they have improved dramatically. Thanks in advance

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
The search function works really well. For instance, you could find this thread.

It’s one I used in my own search. Picked up a Fenix model this summer. Was very happy w its performance over 3 weeks of elk season.

JohnnyB

WKR
I use Petzl Bindi. Super light, have run it for many hours without having to recharge. With my phone and Inreach I have committed to recharging so I am already carrying a cord and source.

The only complaint I have with the Bindi is the red light is not as bright as it could be. I can hike with it but wish it had the same power levels as the white light.

The zebra H32 uses 123a batteries and is an awesome light if your not wanting rechargeable. It’s extremely lightweight and very bright. I’ve been very happy with it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hathcock

FNG
I have a couple skilhunt h03 lights that have been solid for a couple years. You can use a rechargeable 18650 or two cr123. They can be found pretty cheap on banggood with a coupon code.

thrash907

FNG
I just picked up an Olight H2R. Haven't had a chance to use it in the field, but the quality seems great and other folks experiences in general with Olight is overall very positive.

The modularity of the light is a big bonus (using it as handheld or headlamp), along with the ability to recharge and/or swap out the 18650 battery.

OP
163bc

163bc

FNG
The search function works really well. For instance, you could find this thread.

It’s one I used in my own search. Picked up a Fenix model this summer. Was very happy w its performance over 3 weeks of elk season.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve done a lot of searching and research. As my original post says I’ve read a lot of the forum threads including the one you suggested. I’ve narrowed my search down to a few. Was hoping to find those w hand on experience w those various lights.

Honestly after owning petzl and black diamonds for the past 10 years I'm thrilled with the Nitecore NU25

-its cheaper and there is no lack of quality
-rechargable so i can just pack a battery bank
-360 lumens with a red light and a hi def led.
- good locking system (the black diamond one sucks i end up putting a battery in backwards to prevent this)
-get the litesmith brand strap and the unit weighs 1oz so its cheaper, lighter and has higher output than an e-lite.

Seriously give one a go.

gbflyer

WKR
Surefire Minimus. Had one for years. We use them all the time here in the Winter months.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Black Diamond Spot. I’ve used it pretty extensively in some rough conditions. Very simple and it’s been very reliable for me. I’ve used it a lot in rain too, and I don’t see a reason to upgrade to the storm model unless you plan on submerging it frequently.

rbljack

WKR
Black Diamond Storm. I also have two different zebras. The H52 and the H600 (cant remember the specific model). I do carry the 600, but keep it in the pack typically. The Storm is my favorite headlamp because it has capability for dim light, a simple tap to go back and forth from Max brightness to your adjustable dim setting. It also has a red, green, and blue light. Lastly, it has the lock out function. Its become my favorite headlamp. Oh, also forgot to mention....it has two different white lights. One is for distance, and the second is more of a flood light. Great for camp chores, etc. IN the end, I end up carrying 3 headlamps. H600 stays in the pack unless its needed for finding an animal, or other headlamp fails. Main headlamp is the BD storm Emergency headlamp is the Petzl E-light which is in my bino harnesss.

Im all about good gear when it's worth it, but for headlamps, I'd go with one of the cheapy ones off Amazon. I got a couple of cree LED headlights for $10 a piece from Amazon.

No joke, I dropped it out of my pocket and ran it over. Other than some new scratches, it works fine. I now carry 2 headlamps and an extra set of batteries, can't weigh more than 8-10oz total.

I'm not aware of the huge advantages to the expensive ones, but I love my cheap ones and I"m on my 3rd season with them and both still work fine.

ndbuck09

WKR
Big fan of the Black Diamond Revolt, rechargeable. It lasts a long time and you don't spend as much buying batteries