Headlamp recommendations

Looking for a new hunting pack headlamp. Prefer ones that don't require a special tool of any kind to change batteries.

In addition to models, what are your thoughts on light color? I see some that have the option to throw green or red light. Do those really make a difference when you're trying to sneak up the mountain at o'dark thirty? Thanks in advanced!

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Lifelong headlamp user here. I’ve been pretty happy with the Fenix HL60R I bought on Amazon last year.

Uses replaceable/rechargeable 18650 batteries. I can charge the headlight from my USB pack or just swap the battery if I need to continue using it. Has a metal housing with a threaded cap on the battery compartment, no fiddly plastic battery door with tiny weak latches. Has one button that simply cycles through red and the increasing white light intensities (my previous Black Diamond headlamp was so complicated I wrote hints directly on it).

Not sure what your requirements for a headlamp are, but that’s one that’s been working for me and why. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Red is a must-have for me. It preserves your night-adapted vision. Perfect for quick map checks or looking for something in your pack when it’s dark and you don’t want to ruin your vision for the next fifteen or twenty minutes. I like to forego artificial light if I can, both to preserve battery and help me be more aware of my surroundings. Some folks like to follow a tunnel of white light through the woods at night and have no perception of anything outside that tunnel. Different strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNTR918

WKR
Petzl Actik. Good amount of lumen and battery life. It uses regular batteries. I have the CORE version which is rechargeable.

I've been using a Princeton Tec Remix for quite a while. I like that the red light comes on first before the white. Saves my night vision. The white on the brightest setting is pretty bright and the 3 AAA batteries are pretty easy to change.

Rich M

WKR
Been using Coast brand headlamps - been very good to me - used to get em at Cost Co in 3 packs. Have a switch on left & right sides - hi/med/lo on one side and red/green on other. We use em fishing, duck hunting, and anywhere else you'd use a flashlight. Great battery life if you can run with the lowest or middle setting.

Cried the day I found out that they no longer sold them. If there had been a warning I'd have bought 10 3-packs. Walmart et al sells em for about $25/per headlamp.

Also have some Energizer headlamps that serve the purpose and last a long time - not near as nice as the Coast lamps but better than many of the other reasonably priced ones.

Both of these use AAA batteries.

I carry 2 headlamps on every hunt.
Some redundancy is a good idea - for a few things - especially when your's or your buddy's light goes out...

TheCougar

WKR
Zebralight and don't look back. Phenomenal brightness, durability, and battery life. Brighter and lighter than my Fenix. Plus you can get a little magnetic charger gizmo that turns your spare battery into a battery pack!

Their lights are white only, but honestly I have yet to find a green or red light that is bright enough to hike in.

Squirrels

WKR
I went down the rabbit hole of lighting last year. I wanted something that ran off larger, rechargeable batteries. I wanted a system that used all the same kind of batteries. Settled on 18650 battery system. I have a Fenix handheld that uses two batteries, a charging device that uses one of those batteries as it's power source, and a headlamp that uses one. I bought a zebra headlamp at first since everyone speaks so highly of them but returned it. Those lights require a more unique 18650 battery than lots of things that use 18650s, they require a shorter, higher output battery than the other items I had already bought that use 18650. I'm happy with my Fenix headlamp.

hikenhunt

WKR
Black diamond is another great brand to check out. I have their Spot and love it. It has the red light option too. I also have an old petzl that is about 11-12 years old and still working great.

I’ve been using Princeton Tec lamps for years. Quality and made in the USA 🇺🇸. All the others are China 🇨🇳
I often do Road construction night work and rely on a headlamp sometimes many hours a week.
I have both rechargeable and ones that use AAA batteries. For the backpacking and hunting I go with the AAA Battery powered lights. I mostly just use a “white” light, but do have the red lenses if needed.

The industrial EOS has been a long time favorite but recently started using the Snap light for its versatility.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I like my black diamond icon. It seems like it lights up the woods like it’s daytime, adjustable brightness, red leds, and the batteries seem to last forever. It takes 4 AA in a compartment behind your head so it’s a little heavier than some, but it has the strap across the top of your head that helps.

Another black diamond vote. I have the 325 or 350 lumen. I have read the icon battery life can last over 4 days with the light left on medium or low continuously.

Red works for me to look in my pack, walk a FS road or across open sage,, etc. but I never feel like I can really see well enough for real navigation. I trail run with a Petzl Nao so perhaps I’m just spoiled by the lumens or stunborningly insistent on pushing the pace before it lights up.

I currently carry a BD Storm in my hunting pack, but I have had cheaper BD lights die on me. Petzls have always been rock solid and I’ve upgraded as the technology has improved rather than due to issues

Nitecore NU25. Get a litesmith strap and it weighs 1oz for 350 lumens.
I won't be buying a blackdiamond again.

Another Black Diamond vote here. I use the storm and it is very bright. It has red, green, and blue lights but I rarely use them since they aren't as bright as the main beam. Animals can see in the dark, I'm sure they are able to see your headlamp no matter what color it is. I'm a bit of a nerd about lights, and I've been tempted to try some of the suggestions above just out of curiosity, but for now I'm super happy with the storm headlamp.

Tactikka with core, Black Diamond and Zebra lights have all bee super good. I do use streamlight rechargeable 18650 batteries when I can

Dobermann

WKR
I've used a few, but mostly Petzls and Black Diamond.

One thing to look out for is that if you have very good hearing then some headlamps will make a high-frequency 'squeal'. Those of you who can walk into a room with a TV on but the sound turned off, yet still know the TV is on will know what I'm talking about.

The Black Diamond Storm does this for me, and is not great for extended use. Having said that, I still use it for work in dark confined spaces as it's pretty rugged for the size.

It also has a lock-out feature. Having had a headlamp turn on in a backpack once, this is now one of the most important features for me.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Nitecore NU25. Get a litesmith strap and it weighs 1oz for 350 lumens.
I won't be buying a blackdiamond again.

This is my choice for an ultralight setup. Good run times and very usable light.

For a slightly heavier choice, go for a Zebralight. Superior light tint and high CRI make distinguishing colors and contrast (e.g. blood trails) at night much easier.