Headlamp suggestions?

I've had black diamond headlamps in the past, had some trouble with how complicated they are. I have another one that I like. It has three settings, bright, dim and red. But it dies really quick. I'm looking for something as simple as possible and good battery life.
Thanks in advance

Good ole Energizer headlamps work well, are simple to use, and get pretty good battery life.

I like my Petal Reactik Plus but it rarely gets used as I always seem to grab an Energizer.

Ease of use, Princeton Tec Remix. Black Diamond Spot 350 has been the more reliable of the Spots. Whichever of those I take is pretty much whichever I grab. I also carry a small Petzl as a backup. I think it might be called the e-lite.

tdot

WKR
Nitecore NU25. Rechargeable, great light, simple controls, light and inexpensive. I haven't used it in any rain yet, but other then that it's held up very well for the little over a year that I've had it.

Good ole Energizer headlamps work well, are simple to use, and get pretty good battery life.

I like my Petal Reactik Plus but it rarely gets used as I always seem to grab an Energizer.
and I've found that the Energizer have the BEST red light(it more of a Spotlight vs a Floodlight like the other 5 Black Diamond headlamps that I own

I’m biased towards the Princeton Tec headlamps because I wear at work. They have to work for an 8+ hour shift and are as simple and indestructible as they come. The American made Princeton Tec lights I wear have outlasted dozens of the fancy imports some of the guys I know keep buying. I like the simple “bright/dim” settings on the lights in the “industrial” line.

RoseAllen

FNG
This is the best I have tried. Last forever, rechargeable!

Amozon Headlamp, 1200 Lumen Rechargeable Headlamp Flashlight, Bright SST40 LED with 18650 Around $26.00​

dondondon

FNG
I typically go with what’s cheap/affordable. Not a fan of rechargeable ones. Leaves you in a bad place if it dies in the field.

I went on a tear and decided to upgrade from my Petzel a few years back. After trying a few, I run a zebra as my primary right now. It is great and bullet proof. Didn’t care for the fenix. Been very impressed with a nitecore I bought as well as a friends lights from olite. He is a trail runner and has some 2000 lumen rechargeable as well as a small 600 lumen light from them that seemed solid and were fairly cheap.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I have had good luck with LED Lenser. I have also heard good things about Fenix.

I recently added a few as back-ups - they all have the basic operation you note. Also, they are beam focus capable. They are brightness adjustable which can impact run time. Have the red lens too. I also find them reasonably priced - or at least a full range of price points to choose from.

The most recent unit is sold as a rechargeable - which I agree with the above, could leave one in a tough spot - but this one, and others LED Lenser units have rechargeable packs that are interchangeable with regular AA/AAA batteries. So I can carry extra batteries and/or recharge if car camping.

OP
G
Awesome. Might try the energizer, then get a nicer one. I have a 1200 lumen GloWorm light designed for mountain biking at night that I use when I need to see long distances, but it’s a hassle for looking through your bag at night.

Phaseolus

WKR
Awesome. Might try the energizer, then get a nicer one. I have a 1200 lumen GloWorm light designed for mountain biking at night that I use when I need to see long distances, but it’s a hassle for looking through your bag at night.
I ride my mtnbike at night a lot and love my gloworm on the bars and AyUp on my helmet, good stuff

Another vote for zebralight. Aluminum rather than plastic, bright as hell or super dim and everywhere in between, battery lasts forever, and they have several different models depending on preferred beam shape and color (I prefer the neutral white floody).

I'm a huge fan of the Fenix HL60R. I've got an older model (HL55?) that's taken a beating as well. I buy a lot of gear and never found a better headlamp. I remove the top strap and run these with just a simple headband with or without a hat. It's rechargeable but the 18650 battery is removable so you can carry a spare, and it'll also run on two CR123 batteries.

Last edited: