Headlamp suggestions?

I know you mentioned having a black diamond in the past, but I really like the storm 400. Lightweight, super bright, and battery lasts for a long time. Controls can be a little complicated.

Costco had Duracell headlamps, a three pack with batteries for $28C a few months ago. They are Duracell 550 lumen lights with two simple on/off switches. You can easily lock or unlock the light too…hold both switches down for a few seconds. Really like them vs the Black Diamond I bought, $48 US for one. Much simpler and way better light in my opinion…but slightly larger. Still uses 3 AAA batteries.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I have a Petzl Tikka that is pretty decent but I like my Black Diamond's better.

This past year I switched to the BD Flare. Crazy small and when I am not using it, I let it hang around my neck. I never even know it is there.

rootacres

WKR
If you want simplicity I like the Petzl Actik Core. It has three settings, battery lasts decent, and you can choose to do the "core" rechargeable battery or just rock standard batteries. I run with the rechargeable "core" battery so I don't need to pack anything else in, worst case I hook it up to my portable power and charge it.

WyoKid

WKR
I’m biased towards the Princeton Tec headlamps because I wear at work. They have to work for an 8+ hour shift and are as simple and indestructible as they come. The American made Princeton Tec lights I wear have outlasted dozens of the fancy imports some of the guys I know keep buying. I like the simple “bright/dim” settings on the lights in the “industrial” line.
Same here. Big fan of Princeton Tec Remix - has red high and low and white high and low. I like the 43 hr run time at 300 lumens. Used for 10 years. Have a Synch as a back up and like the lockout feature - also has red and white modes using a knob for gloved hands. Trying out the Snap RGB as seems more versatile. Found Princeton Tec light and simple to operate....no fancy dual button or special batteries. Biggest bang for the $ IMHO.

I like the 43 hr run time at 300 lumens.

That is impressive! I thought that was maybe a typo so I looked on their site.

How does the 300 lumen setting have a 43hr runtime, but the 90 lumen setting only has a 16hr run time? That doesn't make much sense...

And how are they getting those sorts of runtimes out of 3 aaa batteries, which should have a total of about 2250-2500 mah capacity, and I dont even see any of the lights that use the 18650 batteries showing those sort of runtimes.

WyoKid

WKR
You are right....doesn't seem logical that 90 lumens is 16 hours and 300 lumens is 43 hours. 43 hours might be total run time on high with a declining brightness. The manual shows 28 hours on high and 53 hours on low.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge fan of the Fenix HL60R. I've got an older model (HL55?) that's taken a beating as well. I buy a lot of gear and never found a better headlamp. I remove the top strap and run these with just a simple headband with or without a hat. It's rechargeable but the 18650 battery is removable so you can carry a spare, and it'll also run on two CR123 batteries.
I second this. I have the HL60R and love it.

WyoKid

WKR
I like Fenix and Olight for high Lumens when searching for people but for hunting applications it is nice to have a RBG option on the headlamp for night, tracking and maps....also found that in snow, rain or fog at night the the R or G gives better contrast and less reflection off the moisture /water droplets.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Streamlight Bandit a lot for genreal chores. Single button operation, rechargeable, high/low white and red light. I also use a Streamilight Sidewider Compact Military with a headband. It can be removed and clipped onto clothing for other tasks. Low/med/high Red, white blue and IR modes and it runs on a CR123 battery.

Rokwiia

WKR
I think battery format choice is a critical part of the decision. For the longest time, everything I got was on the CR123 battery platform. That way, I only carried a few spare batteries which could be used for multiple devices rather than having to carry spares in a variety of format (AA, 18650, AAA, etc).

I finally got a headlamp and flashlight in 18650. Not convinced yet I like it in a headlamp but do like it in a small flashlight...so far. ZebraLight.

Holocene

WKR
It depends on your needs and how far you are to a very good light source.

I cut my teeth whitetail hunting in South Carolina, where we shot a lot of deer -- and most of them at dusk. A Fenix headlamp and handheld flashlight were always with me and made quick work of blood trailing. A buddy had an even more powerful light in the truck if blood tracking wasn't easy that night.

When I came out West, I kept the Fenix stuff and even bought another. Super bright, batteries last forever, and I can recharge.

As a backup, I have a Petzl micro something and got a Black Diamond for my wife when camping. They feel like toys compared to the Fenix.

The biggest downside to a serious light is weight penalty. But I pay the penalty for the light power -- blood tracking at night is that important sometimes.

Used many but keep coming back to Black Diamond. They work and are more durable than most.

WRM

WKR
Surefire Minimus. Mine's about 20 years old and has a continuous rheostat. New ones have 13 presets on rheo, but I'd imagine that is still pretty flexible. Still waiting for mine to die. No indication it will. Bought a second for the wife.

Thunder17

FNG
I’ve been using a cheap brightstar, but after looking at some of the lights mentioned I definitely need to upgrade

I like Fenix and Olight for high Lumens when searching for people but for hunting applications it is nice to have a RBG option on the headlamp for night, tracking and maps....also found that in snow, rain or fog at night the the R or G gives better contrast and less reflection off the moisture /water droplets.
My Fenix has R, but not B or G.