Headlamp suggestions

DEW0341

WKR
Possibly investing in a headlamp, wondering about any specific brand and model like to keep it sub 100$ for sure. I've played with the 20-40$ ones and they never last.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
I've got a Princeton Tec Remix that I love. It's got red and white, but defaults to red automatically so you don't need to worry about accidentally turning on your bright white spotlight. Not the cheapest in the world, but I've had mine for 4 years and only had a single hiccup that customer support dealt with in about 20 minutes. The battery door broke two weeks ago and I just emailed Princeton Tec and they mailed me two replacement doors and installation instructions for free.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I've used the black diamond spot and never had a complaint. I have 2, both 7 years old and the only problem is the headbands are stretched out. They can be replaced for $5

Trial153

WKR
I have a fenix that been really good to me. Can't say the same about the other head lamps I have owned.

Beendare

WKR
I like the light headlamps that have a multi beam; a wide flood for hiking and a strong center beam for looking a ways out in front of you. I feel a little queazy walking with the one strong spotlight versions backpacking in or hiking at night.

I have a couple older Princeton tec versions that fits the bill, last a whole hunt and have been reliable.

Stwrt9

WKR
Have you tried Ozark trail headlamps from wally world? I bought one last year that was 250 lumens I think and It's been great and I think it was $20 to boot. I'd find it hard to beat for the price.

If you want a simple 200-300 lumen type lamp for around camp, there are many choices to meet your need as stated above.
If you want a head lamp to be bright enough to track a blood trail at night, you will need a much brighter spot light type head lamp.
If you want a lamp that does both, the Fenix is a great set up. Many different settings, a red light as well, and rechargeable battery.
Ive been using mine for almost 8 months so far- very pleased with it.

No problem tracking at night with its brightest setting or using in the tipi on its lowest.

Jimbo V

WKR
Petzl make a great headlamp....I have used one for numerous years, just went to a black diamond and I'm still figuring it out but it seems nice

Lawnboi

WKR
I enjoy my petzl myo. Has great features, flood or beam, high beam mode, switch protector and runs on AA batteries. Very bright lamp.

The petzl e lite is also great, a great backup, or primary if you want to shed some weight off your pack.

kodiakfly

WKR
I've got a few, but my Princeton Tecs are awesome. I've got a few of the Apex pros because I love them so much. They are a bigger, heavier lamp, but they'll burn your retinas and the battery life is good because, well...you're carrying a lot of batteries in them. But at 350 lmns in an easy to use platform, they'll do an easy flood light for making dinner or they'll light up the side of a hill for getting back to camp or looking for a dead animal. Last time I checked, they were still made in USA and their customer service is awesome.

Rolando

FNG
I've also had great luck with the black diamond spot. Video here: Black Diamond Spot
I've seen and heard great things about Zebralights as well, but they are more pricey.

I used the Spot all last fall, and my only complaint is that the red light is too dim for my liking. The white light is great, and the battery life is good as well. I love the button lockout feature.

I've used the black diamond spot and never had a complaint. I have 2, both 7 years old and the only problem is the headbands are stretched out. They can be replaced for $5

I have 4 of them and they work great. As I seem to always be stating I am kind of rough on gear and these things have been able to handle my not so gentle usage.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Princeton Tec Remix that I love. It's got red and white, but defaults to red automatically so you don't need to worry about accidentally turning on your bright white spotlight. Not the cheapest in the world, but I've had mine for 4 years and only had a single hiccup that customer support dealt with in about 20 minutes. The battery door broke two weeks ago and I just emailed Princeton Tec and they mailed me two replacement doors and installation instructions for free.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I have one of these as well and its a solid light. Also just picked up a Black Diamond Storm when they went on sale ($35 i think) and I like it a lot as well.

I have a petzl Taktikka RGB that I like. Does a great job. pretty light and uses AAA batteries. Has 3 or 4 brightness settings on white light. Honestly, I also have a cheap rayovac that I picked up that does just as good a job, it's actually brighter, but doesn't have a red lamp. Think I paid $8 or $9 for it. It is my backup.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Had anyone tried the two pack from Costco ?

I got the Costco pack earlier this year. Haven't gotten to really use them yet, so I can't help out with long term field use info. I decided to give them a try when I read on a thread somewhere that they seemed to work well. Guess time will tell...

Jeremy