Headlamps

Werner

FNG
Ive has a pelican (idk model) for years that has been extremely durable but on the heavier side. Looking at getting a black diamond spot but not sure which one yet. Main needs are red filter and lightweight.

Wassid82

WKR
Black diamonds are great lights and I have a couple that have lasted 10 years or more. I recently bought a peztl and I've been extreme happy with the brightness.

I have first GEN Princeton tech that runs off three AAA‘s which I purchased in 2000. It’s a constant daily use for 16 years and still works perfectly.

In 2016 a friend gave me call light S1 baton that has a pocket clip which doubles as a clip for the bill on my hat. I’ve been using it daily cents and have found it to be ideal for my needs.

Moonlight setting is just enough for walking into a stand and getting things set up predawn. The brightest setting is plenty enough to shoot a coon out of a tree with.

The magnetic tail cap has been pretty handy to for sticking on the side of my truck when I’m trying to get work done in the evening.

For what it is and what it does, it’s not crazy expensive at about 50 bucks

Black Diamond and Zebralight for me. I got one of the new rechargeable Black Diamond ReVolt 350’s for Christmas this year with the battery pack or 3-AAA’s. It’s pretty awesome and will use my Goal Zero solar panel to recharge it this year. It’s hard to go wrong with Black Diamond, Zebralight, Petzl, Fenix, Princeton, etc...

I really like my Zebralight 18650 rechargeable light too. It’s damn near bombproof. Warning for those cheap 18650 lights made in China and not waterproof. I was duck hunting three seasons ago with a buddy who had a cheap Chinese light catch fire when it got soaked in the rain. That was a real eye opener and we both moved to Zebralight after that.

Again, hard to go wrong with a quality brand these days - lumens, battery type, and strap configuration are more of a personal preference. Good luck!

18650 Zebralight continues to prove itself in the field. Fantastic moonlight mode through blinding 1500+ true lumens high range is hard to beat. Extremely long run time is why I prefer the 18650 battery. It has about 4.5 times the capacity of 3 aaa cells. One battery will last about 8 days continuous running (yep, 24 hours a day for 8 days) at camp brightness, or 4 months on moonlight.

I carry a Petzl e-light as a backup. It weighs less than an oz.
Screenshot_20200126-173449_Chrome.jpg

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
18650 Zebralight continues to prove itself in the field. Fantastic moonlight mode through blinding 1500+ true lumens high range is hard to beat. Extremely long run time is why I prefer the 18650 battery. It has about 4.5 times the capacity of 3 aaa cells. One battery will last about 8 days continuous running (yep, 24 hours a day for 8 days) at camp brightness, or 4 months on moonlight.

I carry a Petzl e-light as a backup. It weighs less than an oz.
View attachment 149545
Same here. Zebralight 18650 as my primary with the little Petzl in my possibles kit as an emergency backup. Going on about four years now, I think the only time I've turned on the Petzl was just to make sure it worked when I first got it. Lots of good options out there but that Zebralight is tough to beat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kvan-mt

FNG
I picked up the zebra light Mk IV 18650 high CRI and absolutely love it. The interface takes a little time to figure out but you can program various light settings. I usually use the medium high setting when hiking/running in the dark and love the moonlight option when I'm in the tent.

chasewright15

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned quite a few and my favorite by a pretty large margin is the coast FL74. 2 pack is about 30 bucks at most stores. Over 400 lumens and the beam can flood or spot. Last as long as anything else and have a smaller red light option. Black diamonds and Fenix have some models that compare obviously but are much more expensive.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
For simplicity of operation, cost, really good battery life, brightness and dependability Coast is hard to beat. They have models with red and green options - really simple to switch to. The company has been around a long time.

I've used a lot of petzl and black diamond headlamps. Output on both are great, Black Diamond maybe a bit better, however i've found the components to be of lesser quality. I get about 2-3 years max out of a black diamond. My petzls have given me 5 years or so (i still have one that lives in the car that is 8-9 years old).

Highly recommend the rechargable ones if you use them a bit. I probably average about 3-5 nights a week

Jory S.

FNG
I've used the Black Diamond storm for years and haven't had any issues. Bought my wife the new version and her headlamp keeps kicking into low battery mode though.

Black Diamond Storm and Spot are dang hard to beat for weight/$ been great for Me. Plenty of light and easy on batteries

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My rechargeable petzl is awesome, I can take a battery and charge my GPS, Phone and headlamp it’s great.

I buy the frugal units,,, probably 7 or 10 of them,,, home,,, work,,, trucks,,, shop,,, back pack,,, spend the funds to have more than 1 is gooder...

3 settings power settings on the frugal units is nice... battery will last for years using the lowest setting...

Don

I'm kind of cheap when it comes to certain things, one of them being headlamps. I lose them often enough that I don't want to pay all that much for them.

I buy the $15 Ozark trail ones from Walmart. Honestly they're pretty bomb proof. I drop them, step on them, dunk them in water, whatever. They keep working, have good battery life and the price is right. Unless I'm somewhere where my life absolutely depending on being able to see at night, I'm not buying anything else. And if that's the case I'll have more than just one headlamp with me anyways.