Headlamps

Another vote here for the Black Diamond Storm. Operation and cycling through the lights takes some getting used to, but it's a tough light that will hold up.

Max333

FNG
Gotta love a quality headlamp. Anything outdoors related you end up saving by getting better gear but that’s my opinion

I have been trying to find a new headlamp that is rechargeable (bonus points if it can also use alkaline batteries too), has a good flood light option, and has high lumen output red LED. Most that I keep finding have 1 or 2 lumens for their red output. I'd really like to have something that could push the red LEDs more for walking into my hunting spots in the dark. Nitecore has a couple that are around 9-13 lumens, but I am having trouble finding other options.

Do you really need to preserve night vision walking into a hunting spot? Can't shoot till first light.

macabra11

FNG
Do you really need to preserve night vision walking into a hunting spot? Can't shoot till first light.
I was thinking more about trying not to spook animals with the light. Checking wind and trying to walk carefully seems sorta moot if I've got a giant beam of light coming off my head. There's a lot of debate whether or not animals see certain colors of light, so I really don't know if it matters that much. We've just always erred on the side of caution with such things.

I was thinking more about trying not to spook animals with the light. Checking wind and trying to walk carefully seems sorta moot if I've got a giant beam of light coming off my head. There's a lot of debate whether or not animals see certain colors of light, so I really don't know if it matters that much. We've just always erred on the side of caution with such things.

Whether they see the color or not, they will still see the light. Brightness is an independent quality of color. So whether they see it as white, red, or gray light, they will see it. For colors they can't see, it's shades of black and white, not invisible.

rob86jeep

WKR
I just got my Zebralight H600w in the mail today. Spent about an hour playing with it as the settings can be a little complicated but love it so far. It' has so many different options to set the settings that I can't see somebody not liking it unless they really wanted a red light or didn't want to use an 18650 battery. Even after just an hour with it, i'm probably gonna pick up a handheld that runs on an 18650 as well now.

I just got my Zebralight H600w in the mail today. Spent about an hour playing with it as the settings can be a little complicated but love it so far. It' has so many different options to set the settings that I can't see somebody not liking it unless they really wanted a red light or didn't want to use an 18650 battery. Even after just an hour with it, i'm probably gonna pick up a handheld that runs on an 18650 as well now.

Even with no red light, you can set the low setting so low that your night vision isn't effected much.

Also, it's nice to have 3 completely different programmed suites.

Last edited:

jmo3663

FNG
My Black Diamond Storm has been reliable and lasted me for years. It also great with not burning up batteries.

Is there a sleek, lightweight headlamp with white & red and green or blue LEDs that won't blind others? I hate being blinded by a headlamp and prefer to hike out before & after dark using colored light. Price is not a consideration.

406unltd

WKR
There’s enough options for light to choke a horse. They all light up the woods enough to navigate easily even in red/green light from my experience. I’ve used cheap ones and nice ones and I still have one of each when I’m out.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been using a Black Diamond Storm, however I have eyed the Zebralights for years as I love high end flashlight. I picked up a Zebralight H600d MK IV (spot, 5000K, high CRI) and now I'm wondering why I took so long to buy one.

Well, actually I know why, batteries and the design just did not fit what I thought it should look like.