Headlamps

I'm sure this is a topic that has been beaten to death, but wanted to get your opinions. I had a cheap Princeton Tec that was solid, but not durable and the battery tab busted. I'm just looking for something that is durable, long battery life and has the red light option. Something simple, but functional and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Fenix HL60 is what I went with its a 18650 Headlamp can hit 1k Lumens has the red light and has been a fantastic piece of gear. Another nice feature is you can charge it right through the light itself as it has a micro usb built right in.

mlob1one

WKR
I have a couple black diamond headlamps that hold up to water, good battery life, red lamp option, etc. I just don't know what you consider cheap...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get you one of the green energizer ones from Wal-Mart or Lowes or anywhere. I've had mine for 7+ years and the damn thing won't die so I can have an excuse to buy a new cooler one. I guess I'll just have to pass it on to my boy to have a reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just bought a two-pack of Coast brand LED headlamps from Costco for $30. They have 3 brightness levels (53, 230, 405 lumens), a focusable beam (spot - flood), a red light feature, and a hinged attachment point on the headband. They run on 3 AAA batteries (doesn't everything). Didn't seem like I could beat them for the price.

tttoadman

WKR
I am a fan of my petzl Zipka. They have improved it. I get great battery life from mine now. It doesn't have some of the cool stuff like constant light control, so maybe not??

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm sure this is a topic that has been beaten to death, but wanted to get your opinions. I had a cheap Princeton Tec that was solid, but not durable and the battery tab busted. I'm just looking for something that is durable, long battery life and has the red light option. Something simple, but functional and efficient.

Check out the Black Diamond Spot. It was recently re-designed and now has 300 lumens of power and red light mode. Great burn time, durability and relatively light and small.

OP
Elkoholic87
Check out the Black Diamond Spot. It was recently re-designed and now has 300 lumens of power and red light mode. Great burn time, durability and relatively light and small.

I'm thinking this is the route I'm gonna go. It has received excellent reviews.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
It does not have a red led but I love my nitecore HC30. It has some great mods to it and the bean is very nice. I also like the fact it can be used as a standalone flashlight without the band

TheCougar

WKR
Back diamond revolt. Option for rechargeable battery, so I can charge it from my quad, truck, solar charger, or portable battery pack.

Tsnider

WKR
got a zebralight and im pretty impressed with it. the long runtime on the low settings is what attracted me most. seems like a durable option.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I've had a couple of cheapo Browning headlamps for over 15 years. They have red, green, white strobe and continuous white. Battery life is great. I only use them during hunting season and had batteries last 3 years.

I wear a cheap browning 2 white led and 2 green led ball cap brim light, and then I have the Fenix spotter head band- this thing is crazy stinking bright and runs for a long time.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I set out to buy a Petzl Tactikka plus, because that is a popular one with my buddies. Read the article by Outdoor Gear Lab (The Hunt for the Best Headlamps | OutdoorGearLab) on headlamps and saw most of Petzl's products didn't do as well with their testers.

I don't remember my reasoning now, but I ruled out the Coast light that got first place for some reason, and ruled out the next couple because they cost more for features I didn't need. Narrowed it down to the Black Diamond Storm and Spot. The spot is rated to be submersible, so I figured that was weatherproof enough for me and the extra cost of the storm was pointless. So I bought the Spot for $25 on Amazon. Looking into more detail, looks like the Storm has a waterproofed battery compartment. The spot does not, but the electronics are still submersible. I guess this may not make any difference. I just need it to work with some rain if I am lucky enough to shoot an animal right before it gets dark and rains.

So there you have my line of thinking on how I convinced myself I have the absolute best headlamp on the market for only $25.

CCH

WKR
I like my Fenix HL50. For ultimate brightness you can run a CR-123, but I use the adaptor to use a single AA -- the same battery as my GPS and pocket flash. I like only worrying about one size battery to pack. It's also very bright with a good run time. Prior to that I had good luck with a Princeton Tec EOS, but find this to be superior.

OP
Elkoholic87
Just bought a brand new Black Diamond Spot for $21. I think I'll be more than happy.
One less thing to worry about buying now!