Heads up Decoy?

I will admit that I have not used the Antelope decoy from HUD...BUT...I have their Mule Deer, Cow Elk, and TURKEY and have had outstanding results. Especially as a solo backcountry hunter the HUD is hard to beat in any situation IMO.

K Baird

FNG
Bob, if I'm not mistaken I believe the OYOA guys are using the Be The Decoy system with the goat hat and t-shirt. Looks like a solid option in some situations, but I have no experience with them. I did use the Heads Up last year with good results, but it was definitely more of a learning experience being that it was the first I had tried it. Opening morning of Kansas season I pulled a great goat off his does and got him to 60-65yds. I judged him to be a little closer and shot under him. Prior to that I had some good encounters in Colorado with it. We hit the very beginning of the rut and most bucks were just staking out their territories, but weren't chasing yet. They would come into 80-100yds for a look, but that was it. I'm going again, unfortunately earlier than last year, but if they're acting the same, the plan is to sneak a little closer and have a buddy show the decoy from 75-100 yards behind me.

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
Ordered the be the decoy setup for pronghorn. If anything it looks like a blast to get out the kneepads and see what happens. For some reason while ive been scouting the goats seem kinda aggressive almost territorial so hopefully i dont get stomped!

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I used one last season and it worked GREAT! Gave me a couple shot opportunities I wouldn't have had without it... BUT I blew em all haha! I was hunting an unlimited archery unit here in Idaho and didn't see another hunter within 5 miles of my spot. So didn't feel it was all too dangerous, I'll be using it again this season when needed in the same unit, hopefully with better results! 8)

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used lots of decoys over the years. The best one is the one that is portable, adaptable, light, quick, and realistic. HUD fits the bill for all of these. Great decoy, great price, great company.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. That said I have used the decoys since 2010. I've promoted them for a long time, and just officially joined yesterday. I would promote them whether on staff or not. Thanks.