Heads up on First Lite Merino Base Layers

fatbacks

WKR
Ordered the Men's Aerowool Wick Hoody and took the brand new top on my two week Brooks Range hunt. By mid-trip the wool was fuzzy all over and the pilling just got worse and worse. Kind of looks like crap now. None of my other FL tops seem to do this. Emailed First Lite and they said not covered under warranty and tough luck. Also said that I should order a pilling trimmer off Amazon. Functionally great, but I look like a fuzzy sheep wearing it now. You'd expect to get this eventually, but for $120 you'd think that it would stand up for at least the first trip to the field.

Just thought I would write a review on the off chance someone is considering their merino.

IMG_4779.JPG

z987k

WKR
Good call. When a company won't stand behind their product, it's nice to let people know so when you buy expensive gear you don't get garbage with no support.

Dented

WKR
Certainly worth keeping in mind. I'd expect better performance than that. I'm looking at Duckworth for my replacement stuff.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Got a follow up email from them. They said it was from wearing a bino harness and rubbing the whole time. And again to get a pilling trimmer off Amazon.

I’ve had a pile of merino base layers throughout the years and none looked like after the first trip. I guess I’ll be switching to something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwy1strat

WKR
I've also had bad luck with several of their merino products. Smartwool and Icebreaker stuff holds up WAY better in the field. I have a couple of icebreaker merino shirts that I have used for several years of hard field use and they still look brand new. The best part is you can typically find them for around $50 at sierra trading post

Oh no! 😐 I’ve loved my First Lite merino over the years and need to get a couple of more pieces for this years hunt. I guess I’ll be going with something different

schuy2147

FNG
I've used FL both out west and now on the east coast and they just don't hold up to regular hunting usage. Good customer service can go a long way these days and sadly theirs isn't up to par. There are better options out there for sure.

ChuckInTn

FNG
I had always thought merino only came from New Zealand
From their website:

"American-made, Duckworth is proud to be the world's only source-verified, 100% Montana-grown Merino Wool clothing company.

Our dedicated team carefully manages every step of the process, from raw fiber to finished garment: Knowing Merino Wool is our business.

Starting at our ranch in Dillon, Montana, our open-range Montana Merino sheep live between 5,000’ and 9,500’ elevation and temps ranging from -40 to over 90 degrees Fahrenheit, grazing on natural grasses and Montana wildflowers found on remote mountainsides. The unpredictable and rugged conditions of the Northern Rockies result in a rare Merino Wool: an incredibly soft, yet durable, fiber with exceptional loft and breathability thanks to an unparalleled degree of "crimp" within the fleece."

30% off sale going on now.

I don't want to sound like I have any involvement with them, b/c I don't. I have mentioned them a few times on Rokslide. I just really like their stuff. It's pricey, but I usually wait for a sale.

I started with a single short sleeve shirt made from their "Vapor Wool". I was training for the Colorado Trail thru hike and I wore it every day M-F, doing a 4 mile hike with my pack. I did this for 2 months. Didn't wash it. I just hung it up to dry every day. I live in TN, and this was in the summer, so it was pretty sweaty every day. I just wanted to see how long it would take for it to sink.. It never did, it basically had no smell, maybe a little bit like my Old Spice deodorant ;-)

I did develop some piling around the arm-pits where my pack straps rubbed, but that's it. So now I own several tops from base layers to their heavier stuff.

I just like that it's grown and sewn here in the USA (according to their website).

There have been at least a couple other threads about FL recently. I am left with the impression that with FL being sold, the company has changed significantly and customer service appears to be on a steep slope well on it's way to the bottom. I find it very disappointing as I have several FL pieces and was planning to purchase more. But as others have pointed out, we have some good choices in competition.

montei

FNG
I love my duckworth vapor tee. Super light, dries fast and fits really well. I also like that the branding on them is subtle. I wear them all the time.

ljalberta

WKR
I’m moving away from FL. I like their wool products, but I think there’s other companies doing the same or better, with cheaper prices and better customer service now. For instance, I’ve been really impressed with some of the SG merino at 1/3 the price, and fantastic customer service.

Plus their fit on some of their items is pretty wacky and inconsistent.

NCtrapper

FNG
I’m moving away from FL. I like their wool products, but I think there’s other companies doing the same or better, with cheaper prices and better customer service now. For instance, I’ve been really impressed with some of the SG merino at 1/3 the price, and fantastic customer service.

Plus their fit on some of their items is pretty wacky and inconsistent.
+1 on bad customer service wacky sizes. I ordered a pair of the corrugate foundary pants when they had their onX elite sale in the beginning of August. I wear a 34 waist but got a 36 since they say they run small. Turns out the 36 were even a bit tight so I sent them back and had to exchange for a 38x33 because that's all they had in stock. Just finally got them to answer the phone yesterday and ship them to me. (even though my tracking # showed they got my old pair 4 weeks ago and I thought it was already taken care of online) Will definitely checkout new companies from now on with similar products.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
They are now under meateater. cant expect those clowns to warranty anything or even care about you as a customer. Sitka is the way to go IMO

whaack

WKR
I've also had bad luck with several of their merino products. Smartwool and Icebreaker stuff holds up WAY better in the field. I have a couple of icebreaker merino shirts that I have used for several years of hard field use and they still look brand new. The best part is you can typically find them for around $50 at sierra trading post

Same. I have an ice breaker heavy set I wear a lot. For years in fact. Still looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk