Hearing aids for hunting?

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Without having to go full blown prescription hearing aids, what have you used that's helped you hear in the woods?

Too much shotgun use without hearing protection and work related hearing loss has really effected my hearing. I've tried some Walkers ear buds that have the built in amplifiers, but they don't pick up any distant sound. Any suggestions on hearing enhancement?

I bowhunt, so I don't need hearing protection in that environment.

I have no idea if they work or not. They have me curious though.

Elk97

WKR
The problem with the generic hearing amplifiers is that they aren't specific to your particular hearing loss. Do yourself a favor and schedule a hearing test at Costco or a hearing aid place and find out 1. how severe your hearing loss is 2. what frequencies are most affected (high pitch is most common to go). Without matching the hearing aids to your hearing you're making everything louder which doesn't necessarily mean you are going to hear what you want any better.
Pay once, cry once. Put your money into good hearing aids specifically programmed for you and don't look back, it's an investment in you and if your hearing is as bad as it sounds you won't believe what you've been missing. I've used Costco hearing aids for over 20 years, they sell all the major brands and are about half the cost of the same hearing aids anywhere else.
PM me if you want to chat about it.

ZDR

WKR
Same as Elk97...get the best hearing aids you can afford. I've been wearing them for ~5 years now and am shocked at how much I was missing before. Just general life stuff with my family and the outdoors. One of the best things I did was getting my hearing aids.

d_bach

FNG
Without having to go full blown prescription hearing aids, what have you used that's helped you hear in the woods?

Too much shotgun use without hearing protection and work related hearing loss has really effected my hearing. I've tried some Walkers ear buds that have the built in amplifiers, but they don't pick up any distant sound. Any suggestions on hearing enhancement?

I bowhunt, so I don't need hearing protection in that environment.
My father in law has used the Walker brand ear bud protector/amplifier for the last 4 years. My recommendation to see what the latest in ear bud technology is to go to the NRA convention.

Coldtrail

WKR
Get the hearing aids, you will be glad you did. Also if you go too long without you can lose your ability to "understand" what people are saying as well, you'll know people are talking to you but have no idea what they are saying.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
True story.... my hunting buddy Mike on here can tell you. We have gone out for the last 6 years and he would here Elk bugle off in the distance that I could not even hear. This told me something was wrong, went down got the hearing test and boom my mid range sounds are gone and some high pitch sounds. So now I have a pair of Phonak Paradise hearing aids and I can hear it all now. I can turn these up and hear better then normal hearing now.
If you have good Insurance go get it done and get the hearing aids. They will help tremendously out in the field. I can turn these up and hear a branch crack or a brush of something going through bushes. Best thing I ever did.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with the generic hearing amplifiers is that they aren't specific to your particular hearing loss. Do yourself a favor and schedule a hearing test at Costco or a hearing aid place and find out 1. how severe your hearing loss is 2. what frequencies are most affected (high pitch is most common to go). Without matching the hearing aids to your hearing you're making everything louder which doesn't necessarily mean you are going to hear what you want any better.
Pay once, cry once. Put your money into good hearing aids specifically programmed for you and don't look back, it's an investment in you and if your hearing is as bad as it sounds you won't believe what you've been missing. I've used Costco hearing aids for over 20 years, they sell all the major brands and are about half the cost of the same hearing aids anywhere else.
PM me if you want to chat about it.
Tis true. I went around and around with this as well. short version is that a whole bunch of folks that had the really spendy hearing aids have all went the costco route. I too, lost the mid-tone sounds and blends. What you also lose with that is directionality. My son and I would argue about where the elk were bugling when I finally heard them. It's stunning what you will realize what you've been missing. There are some things like wind noise over them, hearing protection while using them etc that you have to deal with. I was told by an ENT that the parts of the brain that processes the different sounds goes dead after a while, that leads to other issues. Don't wait, get them.

OP
traildust

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Guess it's time to stop looking for a " just get by " solution and go get checked out. I'll have to check out the Costco deal.

Yarak

WKR
My hearing is so bad I can’t hear a Turkey drumming or a conversation in a restaurant or crowded place
I’ve been to a audiologist and I have nerve damage so I know I need hearing aids
I’ve tried the Walkers stuff and it does increase my hearing ability but I can’t tell which direction the sound is coming from
If there was a hearing aid that had noise cancellation I would definitely look at them

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
As a former hearing aid dealer I suggest the behind the ear aids. In most cases they show up LESS than the in-the-ear aids and there are also acoustical advantages. I recently bought mine from Costco, and they have a good program there. The problem is that they are not hearing protection. They are able to sense loud sounds and not amplify them, but a gunshot will sound almost the same as it would without them. I wear my hearing aids most of the time but when I hunt I have used these and they work pretty well as long as you get them in far enough to block sound.

Reactions: ZDR

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I only do the behind the ear ones. THey have the best tech and are much easier not to loose =) the ones they put in your ear canal all the way are just not for me. I would check out the Phonak Paradise line. They are not cheap but well worth the price.

this should help https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids.html

ZDR

WKR
Same here. Behind the ear. Mine have multiple programs, interface w and are adjustable from my iPhone.

Rich M

WKR
I been wearing real hearing aids for 47 years. Sounds like you need to get a set.

The new ones are incredible in what the do and can do.

OP
traildust

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Audiologist here. I wrote this for another application and thought it might be helpful here. There's a summary at the end if it gets a little long winded. Hope it helps!View attachment 269517

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click, Save! Thank you for an honest look into the real world of hearing aids. Gonna do some more research on brands. My insurance covers 80% after my $2500 deductible is paid, so It looks like it's all out of pocket for me.

Do the over-the -ear type pick up a bunch of wind noise?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
nope. I have no issues with wind noise but that is one of the features of a good pair of hearing aids is to block out that wind noise.