Hearing aids for hunting?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Do the over-the -ear type pick up a bunch of wind noise?

All hearing aids will amplify wind noise. If there's been some technological miracle to eliminate it since I
got out of the business I'm not aware of it. Expect to be annoyed on a windy day.

Has anyone who is directional hearing challenged ever found a solution with hearing aides? I can hear bugles, but have no idea where it is coming from. Hunting solo in dark timber I've been having a very difficult time. It has been really frustrating.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone who is directional hearing challenged ever found a solution with hearing aides? I can hear bugles, but have no idea where it is coming from. Hunting solo in dark timber I've been having a very difficult time. It has been really frustrating.

The inability to get direction is usually from one ear being more deaf than the other. I have one ear that's considerably worse than the other and I have a lot of trouble with direction. Hearing aids help because they can balance the ears somewhat, but not back to normal.

Phonak Paradise series I have the P70s

View attachment 269861

Phonak has a feature called "Speech in Wind" which is a clever wind reduction feature. It takes the sound with less wind noise and sends it to the other side to replace the bad sound.

This can work because wind is rarely from straight ahead, and if it is, we usually naturally turn our heads a little bit. So if you lean into the wind with the right ear, it will take better sound from the left ear and send it to the right ear in the channels affected by noise. Signia has a feature called eWindscreen that is similar. I believe most of the other manufacturers just turn down the volume in the channels where wind is present. Might be something to look for in a feature list if you're worried about wind noise.

My last suggestion has none of the allure of a fancy algorithm, but is probably the best: wear a stocking hat. It acts as a wind screen. And if it's too hot, they make some little "socks" that you can put on your hearing aids that also act as wind screens (e.g. Ear Gear). Sounds dorky but I have some golfers who use them so they can hear their friends better on windy days. This stops the problem before it starts instead of trying to fix it on the back end.

-Weston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you Weston, You definitely explained it better then I ever could. I remember my Doctor telling me this same thing as wind noise was definitely I a concern had as well. After getting my Hearing Aids I went outside and it was a bit of windy day which I was happy about as I wanted to test these. When I first got out I could definitely hear the wind but after the hearing aids realized the wind noise it did exactly as you stated in your description and I could tell there was no more wind noise coming through. this taught me a few things about this technology and how to test certain features. Which is pretty cool stuff.

ZDR

WKR
Audiologist here. I wrote this for another application and thought it might be helpful here. There's a summary at the end if it gets a little long winded. Hope it helps!View attachment 269517

Weston, I just read your paper and found it to be really helpful. Luckily my provider does REM and also are a contractor to the VA. I use the Oticon Open 1 model and consider them critical to daily living.

thanks for sharing your expertise here...
z

Anyone have recommended ear protection for kids? I've got some youngsters that at excited for waterfowl hunting this fall and I want their ears protected but I want them to be able to hear. Some of my best memories growing up we're hearing the birds whistle overhead, hear the splash as a bufflehead snuck into the decoys, and hear the marsh waking up. I can't imagine that experience muffled through big ear muffs.

I after reading through this thread and PM'ing some of the posters, I went to Costco and got the Kirkland Signature 10 (close to Phonak P90) made by Phonak for Costco. I could not be happier. I can't believe the sounds I have been missing for the last 10-15 years. They were $1499, a far CRY from what I was priced at a private audiologist the week before I went to Costco. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and my PM's. Much appreciated.
My wife THANKS you ALL!!!!

Coldtrail

WKR
The downside to getting hearing aids is that you run the risk of those around you soon realizing that the problem wasn't "hearing impairment" as much as "listening impairment"

"yep, uh huh, sure, yeah, mmm hmmm....."

I was given hearing aids when I retired from the military and have nothing but problems with them. I dont hear any better and they are uncomfortable. I never wear them and they just sit in my closet. I have takes to my audiologist about twice and she has tried to get them to fit better, but nothing seems to work. I would rather be struggling to hear than pissed off and uncomfortable.

ZDR

WKR
I was given hearing aids when I retired from the military and have nothing but problems with them. I dont hear any better and they are uncomfortable. I never wear them and they just sit in my closet. I have takes to my audiologist about twice and she has tried to get them to fit better, but nothing seems to work. I would rather be struggling to hear than pissed off and uncomfortable.
Justin, I would suggest you need a different audiologist.
I had trouble with the first set of hearing aids I got ~6 yrs ago, but my audiologist stuck with it until we got them to work. THe next model I got was a significant upgrade in capability and they are amazing. So good that I got two pair out of paranoia and but have never needed the back ups. They are adjustable from my phone, have different modes for different environments that the audiologist programs based on my feedback. I cant really function without them

OP
traildust

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the Resound Preza.....they were the clearest I tried and had the least wind noise .....while standing in front of the fans at Costco........I bet some folks were like....WTH is wrong with that person!

Drive out price was $2K. I walked around the store for about an hour with a loaner pair.......heard sounds that I haven't heard in 15 years. Can't wait to actually hear a bugle!

Last edited:

Finn16

WKR
Resurrecting an old thread here. For you guys that bought your hearing aids at Costco, did they require you to have your ears cleaned out somehwere else before they'd do the hearing test? If you got it done, did you have to go to an eye/ear/throat doc or did your PC doc do it?

fmyth

WKR
My buddy bought the most expensive Costco hearing aids and loved them. About 6 months later he lost them. Tore his house apart for a day then went up to Costco to buy another pair. They helped him install an app on his phone to find them. After another afternoon of searching they could not be found. He returned to Costco prepared to spend 2k to replace them. They comped them! Not sure if that's their S.O.P. but he's a Costco ambassador now.

Resurrecting an old thread here. For you guys that bought your hearing aids at Costco, did they require you to have your ears cleaned out somehwere else before they'd do the hearing test? If you got it done, did you have to go to an eye/ear/throat doc or did your PC doc do it?

Unless you know your ear canals are blocked, I'd just go see them straight away.

They should look in your ears before doing any testing to confirm a clear ear canal. A little wax is normal and not a problem as long as it's not nearly or entirely blocking your canal. If so, they might remove it if they have a qualified person, or they might refer out.

Marble

WKR
My dad got the costco hearing aids and it's been a blessing.

His have an AP that goes with them so in certain situations he can adjust them to be able hear better. He really likes them and has not had a complaint yet.

They had 2-3 different types and levels of cost. And it wasn't necessarily the .ore expensive the better. The Costco rep steered him to an $1800 model, behind the ear.

I hunt with someone that doesn't hear great. He could not hear distant bugles and really cutler tell the difference in human, vs real bugles. He's probably going to invest in some hearing Aids too.

The best investments we can make as avid outdoorsman as we age, are improvements to our health, fitness and senses.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Finn16

WKR
Unless you know your ear canals are blocked, I'd just go see them straight away.

They should look in your ears before doing any testing to confirm a clear ear canal. A little wax is normal and not a problem as long as it's not nearly or entirely blocking your canal. If so, they might remove it if they have a qualified person, or they might refer out.

They said I had to have my ears cleaned out or they would not do the test. I asked, don't you do that, and was told no we don't. As far as seeing then straight away, it's a 6 week wait time to get in.