Hearing Bugles from On-Trail vs. Off-Trail

Hi All,

How often are you hearing bugles (elk not hunters) from the trail vs. when you're off trail?

We all know covering ground is mighty slow when shoulder deep in deadfall, so I'm curious how you're balancing covering ground vs. getting away from hunting pressure for locating elk?

s

Where I hunt it varies depending on human pressure. There really isn't anyone bothering the elk until season starts. If there hasn't really been anyone around, and there is a trail near where the elk want to be youll here them. If that area has gotten pressure, and people have bumped the elk that were living around that trail. Most likely they have moved off to their next favorite place to escape the people a little more off the beaten path.

In 2016 we had snow off and on for almost everyday for 8 days right in the middle of september when a majority of guys take their vacations. There were zero other hunters backpacking out where we were, and no one had messed with this huge area yet earlier in the season. It was probably the coolest 8 days of elk hunting I have ever experienced.

BRO just pull in at night, bugle from their truck, and they hear bulls respond from all directions. Then they get up the next day and kill them. Isn’t that how it works? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
in the dark used to hear many right from the trail…..all contingent on location, elk density, water,a lot of variables typically best to be high on a ridge for best hearing at daybreak

Jethro

WKR
Happens all the time. Hear them from FS roads, atv trails, hiking trails, porch of the Airbnb if you’re in NM. Could be a half mile away. But where you’re standing when you hear it is irrelevant. All that matters is you have one located.

As far as covering ground. If you’re shoulder deep in deadfall…..find a different route.

Wapiti1

WKR
A couple of years ago, I bugled in two bulls from across a fairly busy forest service road. Not uncommon for that particular unit. Last year, I spent two sleepless nights in my tent right off the road because the damn things wouldn't shut up. It's cool for a couple of hours, but not all night. These hunts were in different states on public land with plenty of hunters.

Other years, you didn't even hear human bugles from ridgetops miles in. That one guy the bugles every 100 yards had even given up.

Deadfall is a fact of elk hunter life, but you can probably find a better route.

Jeremy

Being off trail doesn’t mean bushwhacking or being in deadfall. I can cover just as much ground off of trails. My answer would be that hunters are more successful once they learn their area.

If you’re buried in blowdowns you did something wrong.

Sometimes you have to go in and dig them out. Last year in a heavily pressured otc unit, the landscape was devoid of elk. It seemed as if they were ghosts. But i found them. Buried in the deadfall choked black timber and not another hunter anywhere. Accept me

Honestly after several seasons eating tag soup I quit chasing bugles. I focus more on just getting into key areas and cold calling. Or just sitting quiet at wallows.
Now if I hear a bugle hells yes obviously I'm going. But I don't rely on it as a main stradegy.

The other issue is the elk can be full on Primos mode the next ridge over and you're simply too far to hear it. Then guys complain that they aren't talking. Or will even say the elk arent rutting in September

That being said the elk in my area use the main hiking trails a lot. I shot my bull in 19 on the trail
But I think you're better off being in the areas you know historically hold elk.

My experience is that the elk are where they are. A bugle before daylight from a trail is a good way to locate elk, as long as the elk are there and want to respond. If their pressured heavily from a trail, it’s just less likely. Keep moving. That’s why I like bugling from trails, because I can cover a lot of area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk