hearing protection with a brake? unique situation

SDHNTR

WKR
I have two long range capable guns. One has a brake and one doesn't. This last weekend I thankfully had the non braked one and shot a blacktail buck at a touch over 500. I spined him and he went down in some thick trees out of sight. I knew I might need to make a follow up shot. As I worked into the area in thick cover I was on high alert. It was at this point that I was glad I had my non braked gun. There was a lot of dry leaf litter on the ground. Sure enough at about 25 yards I heard some rustling and there he was, needing a followup shot, like I suspected. So it got me thinking...

In a situation like that I want/need my ability to hear well. And it seems I've been in similar situations plenty of times either following up on an animal or doing some unintended still hunting in thick cover. What would I do with a braked gun then? I wouldn't have time to don ear protection and I really don't want to risk my ear drums taking a shot without. Are there good ear protection options out there that allow you to still hear soft noises AND sense their direction? I tried a Walker's Game Ear a long time ago and yes you could pick up noises, but I could never tell the direction. Didn't like it. Is there something out there I'm not aware of?

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm sure there are others, but the Sportear buds that I have used are pretty good. Both in directionality and clarity.

I usually use passive filter ear plugs EP4 from surefire. They muffle noise more, but work well when shooting with other people.

Jeremy

MeatBuck

WKR
I have two long range capable guns. One has a brake and one doesn't. This last weekend I thankfully had the non braked one and shot a blacktail buck at a touch over 500. I spined him and he went down in some thick trees out of sight. I knew I might need to make a follow up shot. As I worked into the area in thick cover I was on high alert. It was at this point that I was glad I had my non braked gun. There was a lot of dry leaf litter on the ground. Sure enough at about 25 yards I heard some rustling and there he was, needing a followup shot, like I suspected. So it got me thinking...

In a situation like that I want/need my ability to hear well. And it seems I've been in similar situations plenty of times either following up on an animal or doing some unintended still hunting in thick cover. What would I do with a braked gun then? I wouldn't have time to don ear protection and I really don't want to risk my ear drums taking a shot without. Are there good ear protection options out there that allow you to still hear soft noises AND sense their direction? I tried a Walker's Game Ear a long time ago and yes you could pick up noises, but I could never tell the direction. Didn't like it. Is there something out there I'm not aware of?
Not worth sharing the successful hunt in the blacktail forum?

JeffP_Or

WKR
I have had good luck with Howard Light Impact Sport Bolt muffs for my shooting situations - including directional hearing.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to check out some of these.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to check out some of these.
I suggest looking at the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X muffs. In my opinion a great product. I tried several other in - ear and over - ear products which offered protection but made determining sound directionality impossible. I‘m able to determine sound direction with these. With the gel pads they are comfortable to wear. Feel free to PM with any questions.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
You do realize that even without a brake you are damaging your hearing?

Before my suppressors, I would pack either Howard Leight impact sport muffs or on a long trip the banded plugs.

I have several pair of the Walker Razor ear muffs. I use them at work, for SRT, and when hunting. They have 2 speakers in each muff so I can tell which way the "bugle" came from, and can hear my guide whispering to me. The ones I wear for SRT have audio input so I can connect my shoulder mike. They are thin enough so that they don't interfere with cheek weld on the rifle stock. I wear them constantly while hunting, and they are comfortable-better than having something stuck in my ear canal like ear buds (or equivalent). They can be found occasionally on Camofire for around $50.

They can be seen at walkergameear.com The stock # GWP-RSEQM-CMO. They have them listed for $90 but they can be found for about half that online.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I had a bull jump up last year at close range and fed him a braked 300rum. If I'd have known what it was going to do to me, he'd have walked.

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m in the market for hearing protection because of a brake. The gun is ordered and I’m waiting still. This will be my first with a brake. So my thought on the brake was just for target or sighting in, then removing brake and installing the thread protector and then shoot again to fine tune. Is it normal for people to hunt with the brake? I’m guessing maybe some brakes are not removable? I could see where that would cause a definite hearing issue if you had to hurry and didn’t use protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to keep a few pairs of these laying around. Only takes a second to throw them down throw them in if you are looking for a cheap option that’s light. I use them bird hunting which gives me a second if the dog goes on point to help. They are no muff though. If you want to save your hearing spend the money and get a good pair of muffs. These are just a backup if you forget them.

1598813544927.jpeg

Lawnboi

WKR
I don’t think it’s a unique situation at all. I’d bet lots of guys end up in the same.

Your damaging your hearing every shot brake or no brake. I won’t shoot a braked rifle without ear pro.

You only options are.
- Live with hearing loss
-Buy a suppressor or 2 or 4
-Wear plugs and put them in before the shot
-Wear electronic muffs

The MSA muffs listed above. Iv got a set not for hunting but shooting. They are pretty awesome when it comes to the amplification and direction of it. I was surprised compared to some cheaper electronic muffs Iv used in the past.

Me I think a suppressor is the answer and am beginning to collect them. On top of the noise protection you get some recoil reduction and less concussion.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I had a bull jump up last year at close range and fed him a braked 300rum. If I'd have known what it was going to do to me, he'd have walked.
This is exactly what I’m talking about.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
So I’m in the market for hearing protection because of a brake. The gun is ordered and I’m waiting still. This will be my first with a brake. So my thought on the brake was just for target or sighting in, then removing brake and installing the thread protector and then shoot again to fine tune. Is it normal for people to hunt with the brake? I’m guessing maybe some brakes are not removable? I could see where that would cause a definite hearing issue if you had to hurry and didn’t use protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most guns won’t shoot the same with the brake or the thread protector. You’d want to sight in each way.