Hearing Protection

Squamch

WKR
My first job was at the trap range as an 8 year old. Couldn't wear plugs because you wouldn't hear the old guys calling a target.
Now I am mr earmuffs at work or in the shop, or on the range.
I've tried the plastic band around the neck, but the plugs always come off and get lost, or I end up not having time. I keep foamies in my pocket, but have never actually used them.

Elk97

WKR
Squamch- yep, the good old days when your boss wouldn't let you wear hearing protection. I ran an ore mill 12 hours a night and the owner wouldn't let me wear any hearing protection because I might not hear if the ball mill (like a giant cement mixer with cast iron cannon balls in it) ran out of rock slurry and production would go down. But hey, I was makin $4/hr.

Squamch

WKR
Squamch- yep, the good old days when your boss wouldn't let you wear hearing protection. I ran an ore mill 12 hours a night and the owner wouldn't let me wear any hearing protection because I might not hear if the ball mill (like a giant cement mixer with cast iron cannon balls in it) ran out of rock slurry and production would go down. But hey, I was makin $4/hr.

Yeah we could have worn them...but I don't want an old Italian guy with a collection of shotguns worth more than my parent's house pissed off at me! I shoot with some of the same guys 25 years later and they are still calling "heh" instead of "PULL!"

I have a new pair of Soundgear Industrial in the ear hearing protectors.

The first pair I had never seemed to work that well. I recently sent them in and Soundgear replaced them for free. The new pair seems to work very well. I am happy with there fit and function and especially the customer service from Soundgear.

Having said that, I would not rely on them for bench or range shooting. I would always use in the ear protection and ear muffs when possible.

For in the stand, on a stalk, or bird hunting, I think they are worth every penny.

I wish I would have had them before permanently damaging my hearing following a mule deer/ elk hunt a few years ago. Now I have chronic tinnitus that I don't expect will ever resolve.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Late 50’s tinnitus all the time. Trouble with conversations. Asking “pardon me” constantly. Audiologist today. I need hearing aids. Not genetic or age related. Damaged. Shooting. Lawn mower. Power tools. Chain saws. Pneumatic tools. Industrial/heavy equipment.

Don’t be me. This sucks big time. Wear the protection.

What I will do about this while hunting is too early to tell. Probably non prescription combo hearing aids/protectors. Not sure I haven’t looked into it.

Get ear protection. Put it on and keep it on. I can’t count the number of times I had muffs on my head at the range but shot without pulling them down over my ears.

blansing

FNG
I’m still working on finding a good solution for myself in the duck blind. I’ve got to try a pair of the electric ones so I can still hear voices and birds.

I've used the passive Otis ear shields with my kids and they work pretty decent. I need not worry about batteries and you sort of still have directional hearing. They are just a bit troublesome to keep taking in and out, if that is your thing.
This year we used some inexpensive electronic muffs and had a great unexpected benefit - they kept our ears from freezing and our hats from blowing away! They also handled the wind noise far better than expected.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still working on finding a good solution for myself in the duck blind. I’ve got to try a pair of the electric ones so I can still hear voices and birds.

The Otto’s I recently purchased are great. Fit inside your ear. Comes with a charging case. Has multiple ear plug options to fit your ear and light weight. You get two levels of hearing. Low so you can have normal hearing/conversations and then you have enhanced - which amplifies the sounds. I use them at the range by themselves. They are not cheap but less than customs. They are as close to perfect for me for the deer stand, pheasants or the duck blind as I’m gonna find at this price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gregjr

FNG
Tbh if you want to continue jamming to your Spotify playlist, you need to invest in a pair of quality electronic earplugs.

It take ones gunshot and you could be deaf. Yep not bluffing.

Well there are some good electronic hearing protection earplugs ou there built especially for shooting purpose., but my favorites are 3M Peltor, Caldwell, Walkers Silencer and Decibullz.

You can find a detailed review on them here.