Hearing Protection

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I think I was lucky to grow up with a Dad and Grandpa that always stressed hearing protection when shooting. The only times I was allowed to shoot without was when we were hunting deer or turkey. Now I hunt more and shooting more animals without it. In the past year I've fired half a dozen shots with my 300 WM and three 3.5" turkey loads without protection.

After shooting 3 turkey loads this spring my ears haven't stopped ringing. I'm certain I've got permanent hearing loss. They used to ring when it was super quiet, but know I can almost always hear the ring over my surroundings if I think about it. And I struggle with conversations when there is background noise.

I've got the electronic ear muffs and regular ear plugs but I rarely end up using them in a hunting situation. I've started tieing earplugs to my ball cap when hunting like I would my hard hat at work. But I still dont always get them in before the shot. When it comes down to either shooting without them or missing the opportunity to put them in, I usually just shoot without.

My goal going forward is to not shoot without hearing protection and I will have to get used to missing some opportunities. I don't want any more hearing loss.

I've been watching some of the new meateater episodes the came out and I noticed that they rarely wear ear protection. I'm wondering how they aren't deaf.

rwcole

FNG
Pistols bother mine the most. But, when target shooting i always wear the foam ear plug inserts, ive lost two pairs of muff type ones.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat. I’ve had tinnitus for about 15 years now and sadly I’m only 36. My dad and grandpa weren’t good about ear protection they just figured tough it out. I’m really regretting that now but all I can do is keep my kids from making that mistake. I always have the ear plugs on a band around my neck now, but I don’t always get them in.

16Bore

WKR
Once it’s gone you can’t get it back. The custom poured jobs are the best, followed by the foamies. I’ve tried the baffled ones and they aren’t the best for shooting sessions. I think they’d be good for hunting though. They don’t have a high reduction rating, but it’d be a hell of a lot better than nothing.

WKR
Threads like this make me want to run out and buy a brake. Just kidding.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used Walkers Silencer Rechargeable - I have some tinnitus in one of my ears and I don’t want it getting worse. Ihttps://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020636447

They work well - I had some buffeting noise on a VERY windy day in the blind but nothing bad; with 6 guns I was not going without ear protection. Wore them for a skeet event last week and didnt really notice them. Could hear and talk perfectly normal.

WKR
Lol, threads like this make wish it wasn’t such a pain and Long wait for suppressors. Wish I had one for each gun including shotguns.
Actually just a 30 caliber UL7 and a good quality rimfire suppressor would get you a long ways. Pay the $200 tax and get in line, time flies.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Actually just a 30 caliber UL7 and a good quality rimfire suppressor would get you a long ways. Pay the $200 tax and get in line, time flies.

Oh I’ve got a Lane scorpion 6mm I use on a weekly basis and a banish 30 sitting 8 mos in ATF purgatory right now. I would like about 6 more.

I hunt with foam ear plugs connected by a plastic headband, and keep them around my neck at all times. Sure, there is always the chance that an animal jumps up and surprises you,. In those scenarios I just shoot without the ear plugs. But most often I am able to slip the headphones on in time, like when I'm stalking, getting prone, etc.

They aren't as good as the earmuffs you use at the range, but they are lightweight, easy to use and way better than nothing.

jspradley

WKR
We know way too much now to shoot without ear pro...I use Sordin Pro electronic muffs at the range and use those corded plugs when I'm rifle hunting. I wear the muffs when I'm bird hunting too, it's especially important then because you tend to shoot a lot more when shotgunning.

It takes just a few seconds to stick them in before a shot and you almost always have time when rifle hunting, just do it.

As much shooting as Uncle Steve does without ear pro I guarantee he has some hearing loss, it's just not worth it to shoot without them.

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I've used these before and have had good results.
SUREFIRE SONIC DEFENDER EP3
Cool
How well can your hear ambient noises? Could you hear a Turkey gobble far off? Does it block out gunshots well? Comfortabl for wearing all day?

Wore a pair of 3M/Peltor Sport Tactical 300 muffs this year. I could hear better with them than without.

Bonus was they kept my ears warm. Probably not as good of a choice on early season warmer hunts if you are moving a lot, but I honestly forgot about them after awhile.

I have tinnitus that I picked up back in the Army 20 years ago that is ringing even as I type. I am mid 40s now and have looked into this issue enough including consultation and testing with 3 audiologists / ENT's to believe:

- Shooting a gun, even a 22, just one time is enough to damage your hearing.
- The damage is permanent, cumulative over your life time and it is irreversible
- The only thing you can do is to STOP doing MORE damage
- in addition to the hearing loss, you have to consider a whole host of other problems that come with it like social disengagement, relationship implications, etc. if you go deaf.

I am doing what I can to stop damaging my ears any more.

- on the range I wear earplugs AND headphones
- In the woods I use earplugs at least and won't take the shot without them
- I keep plugs in my bio harness, my pocket, my bird vest, my truck, my pack, etc.
- I am stepping it up to make sure I use them in other situations, like when running lawn and power tools

Take care of your ears boys and girls. If you don't, like your teeth, knees and lower back, you will miss them when they are gone.

ColeyG

WKR
At the range it is a no-brainer, wear hearing pro.

I struggled with a good solution for hunting scenarios until I came across these. Now I keep them around my neck while hunting and pop them in before taking a shot whenever practical, which is most of the time. They are small enough I forget I have them around my neck most of the time.

3m-ear-plugs-90537-6dc-64_1000.jpg