Hearing Protection

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Cool
How well can your hear ambient noises? Could you hear a Turkey gobble far off? Does it block out gunshots well? Comfortabl for wearing all day?

Yes you can hear Turkeys gobble. How far depends on you not the plugs. When you first use them without the little plugs plugged in it seems like the noise is reduced a lot but maybe not enough but that's just because you are used to ear plugs quieting everything. These stop sound above the harmful range. That said I don't use them with calibers above 7mm-08 or .243. It's just not as comfortable as full plugs or muffs. These are great for hunting. Especially birds.

OP
S

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Yes you can hear Turkeys gobble. How far depends on you not the plugs. When you first use them without the little plugs plugged in it seems like the noise is reduced a lot but maybe not enough but that's just because you are used to ear plugs quieting everything. These stop sound above the harmful range. That said I don't use them with calibers above 7mm-08 or .243. It's just not as comfortable as full plugs or muffs. These are great for hunting. Especially birds.

That's great. Thanks for posting them

Joekidd

FNG
I think I was lucky to grow up with a Dad and Grandpa that always stressed hearing protection when shooting. The only times I was allowed to shoot without was when we were hunting deer or turkey. Now I hunt more and shooting more animals without it. In the past year I've fired half a dozen shots with my 300 WM and three 3.5" turkey loads without protection.

After shooting 3 turkey loads this spring my ears haven't stopped ringing. I'm certain I've got permanent hearing loss. They used to ring when it was super quiet, but know I can almost always hear the ring over my surroundings if I think about it. And I struggle with conversations when there is background noise.

I've got the electronic ear muffs and regular ear plugs but I rarely end up using them in a hunting situation. I've started tieing earplugs to my ball cap when hunting like I would my hard hat at work. But I still dont always get them in before the shot. When it comes down to either shooting without them or missing the opportunity to put them in, I usually just shoot without.

My goal going forward is to not shoot without hearing protection and I will have to get used to missing some opportunities. I don't want any more hearing loss.

I've been watching some of the new meateater episodes the came out and I noticed that they rarely wear ear protection. I'm wondering how they aren't deaf.
A few shots here and there shouldn't be two bad and the ringing will pass I put two mags through a 1911 and it took two weeks to stop

Elk97

WKR
Nothing macho about not wearing hearing protection. If you don't you'll end up like me, hearing aids and loud tinnitus 24/7. I avoid conversations, constantly have to ask people to repeat what they said (sometimes I never can figure out what they are saying and give up). No fun and it's just going to get worse as I get older. Figure out a way to ALWAYS have hearing protection when you shoot.

I lost my hearing and was giving hearing aids when I got out of the military. I just got my can for my rifles and I don’t know why I waited so long to get one.

Jorge400

FNG
I too have tinnitus and have had it for probably 20 years or more. It's gotten worse in recent years and I've done little shooting compared to the past so be aware that it gets worse as you get older regardless of how much exposure you have to gunfire. Shooting has probably contributed greatly to it but no doubt the awesome sound system I had in my 74 Ford Pinto in my teens was a major culprit as well. Keep this in mind parents.

I'm now on my second set of ESPs and I use them whenever at the range or any type of upland bird or water fowl hunts, and sometimes around the house if working with loud equipment. They are not cheap but I figure if I'm willing to shell out the buck for something to destroy my hearing, I should be willing to spend the money to protect it. Their customer service is great and the treat repeat customers VERY WELL!

For big game I've started wearing ear plugs on a ridged band around my neck. Similar to what I've noticed Remi Warren use. I've just started doing this and had no issue with putting them in in somewhat short notice on a recent successful elk hunt.

yhc

WKR
Any noise level above 85 decibel can damage your hearing. A typical lawnmower emits about 85~90 dB so one should use hearing protection even when operating a lawnmower.

Since we hear through both air conduction, through ear canals, AND bone conduction, through the thin bone behind your ears (mastoid process), we need to protect our hearing with both in ear AND around ear hearing protection.

I use both foam ear plugs and Peltor electronic earmuffs at the range.

While I hunt I use a set of Army issue combat earplugs as seen in this link. 3M Combat Earplugs

When I use lawn mowers or any power tools that emit >85 dB I use a set of earmuffs.

Regards,

GotDraw?

WKR
@Joekidd

You are completely wrong and either ill informed, or ignorant of reality. But, perhaps you're just having fun and "kidding"...

If not, keep on shooting that 1911 w/o hearing protection. I wish you the best but ultimately expect the worst. By the time you realize the damage, it's too late and you're well on your way toward irrecoverable already.

JL

A few shots here and there shouldn't be two bad and the ringing will pass I put two mags through a 1911 and it took two weeks to stop

Reactions: Gar

Wrench

WKR
I've been shooting critters with smallish guns for years and never really rang myself. I rarely even hear the gun go off.

I shot a wolf a few weeks ago with a broke 300rum and rang for a week. I jumped a good elk that gave me no time to screw around and I have been ringing for almost 2 weeks now.

I hate brakes.

Joekidd

FNG
@Joekidd

You are completely wrong and either ill informed, or ignorant of reality. But, perhaps you're just having fun and "kidding"...

If not, keep on shooting that 1911 w/o hearing protection. I wish you the best but ultimately expect the worst. By the time you realize the damage, it's too late and you're well on your way toward irrecoverable already.

JL
I have always worn hearing pro I was making the point that a few shots here and there from hunting won't be terrible and the guy was worried that the ringing wouldn't stop, and after shooting once without hearing pro it took awhile to stop for me but it did eventually I think you took my comment out of context

GotDraw?

WKR
Cool, roger that, but I think you potentially understate the issue and the danger/effect over time.

Tell an audiologist you fired a rifle a time or two or emptied a clip or two off on a pistol w/o hearing protection and then had tinnitus for 3 days and he or she will tell you that you already incrementally damaged your hearing, period. The fact that tinnitus subsided is irrelevant, the incremental damage has been done. Even casual shooting a few times a year will burn you over the course of time, some folks sooner than others but it will get you and you won't know it until it's too late. That's the bitch of hearing loss, by the time you realize, it's too late. I have a buddy that damaged his, he has the best hearing aids available- probably $10k/pair, and they barely help. He is isolated at social events with background noise because he can't hear well any more. Sucks for him.

I should also note that you simply got lucky this time around that your tinnitus subsided, because it might have just as easily been permanent. Err on the side of caution going forward.

JL

I have always worn hearing pro I was making the point that a few shots here and there from hunting won't be terrible and the guy was worried that the ringing wouldn't stop, and after shooting once without hearing pro it took awhile to stop for me but it did eventually I think you took my comment out of context

Last edited:

drmikeyj

FNG
I have a pair of electronic in-ear’s that work well, except in the wind (then I leave them in and turn them off). They cut out for loud sounds like muff-style.

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased the Otto in ear. So far so good! My ears are still ringing 1 year later after shooting a 280AI with a brake while hunting. It only took one shot. Otto are expensive but what is your hearing worth to ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freebird

WKR
I've had tinnitus since 2010 thanks to a wonderful doctor. Its only in my right ear and is always louder then all sounds around me. It took me almost a year to figure out what was going on. It never gets better or goes away. I always use hearing protection when shooting and never seem to have to worry about it while hunting because I never see an animal to shoot...lol. Protect that hearing. I can't afford hearing aides and have some hearing loss. There is a new product out there that looks interesting, its called TETRA. Its not real expensive. Maybe some day

boom

WKR
wild timing.

i have a fitting for customs tomorrow with an audiologist. i just had a hearing test last week, and dispite my mild tinnitus, my hearing is still "okay". i am taking it as a sign to up my hearing protection game.

my career (heavy construction civil engineer is the major culprit)

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently purchased the Otto in ear. So far so good! My ears are still ringing 1 year later after shooting a 280AI with a brake while hunting. It only took one shot. Otto are expensive but what is your hearing worth to ya?

I don't think break manufacturers do a good enough job of telling folks, one time and you could loose hearing. They are so popular now that there will be many folks in the future having damage. I cringe every time someone at the range fires one with a break. I say eat the recoil. Hurts far less.

Ron

bigtuck

FNG
Shorting range, always. When hunting, I wear qb3 quiet bands for if I have time to throw them on. They weigh almost nothing. I personally plan to keep my hearing as long as possible