Heart rate during exercise

Scrubbuck

FNG
Am I training with too high a heart rate?
42 years old
195 lbs 5'11" somewhere around 20% body fat.
Eat well
My vice, I drink 2-3 glasses of red wine/day.
Workout all year long
Resting heart rate in low to mid 50's
Use a Polar Heart Rate chest strap and iphone app.

So I know a lot of guys on here drag sleds/tires and climb hills bleachers and step ups with a pack. Some recent posts about cardio and heart rate got me thinking. Do you notice that you're heart rate is higher than what all the pro's are saying we should be doing?

I try my best to stick to the maffetone 180 – age + 5 for being active for a while = 143 bpm. Started this approach about 8 months ago. I often get higher than that when climbing hills with weight, doing weighted step ups for an hour with 45 lbs. Also tire drags for 1 hour. I often get up past 90% of my heart rate. There were a few workouts that I was at 90+% for 45 minutes. Every article I read says that’s not such a good thing to do…. The thing is every time I climb to camp with 45 lbs on my back I probably hit that heart rate and more. I mean I stop and recover a few minutes and I feel good doing it minus the initial altitude adjustments. I just feel that everyone says that hunting is done slowly and therefore not intense. I agree that when I have a 20lb pack on and I'm done climbing to 11-12K and am still hunting timber it feels like a breeze. But for 2-3 hours each hunting day I am busting my hump and am sure closer to the top range.

So with my season 2 months away should I back off and not exceed 80% or should I hit it hard? How would you guys explain your intensity efforts on hikes/climbs/drags etc? Opinions on long term approaches are sure welcome because I want to keep doing this all my life and not be dead in a supermarket parking lot at 6am with a tire 10 feet behind me.

LateRiser

FNG
not a doctor disclaimer...

But, I am 44, similar stats to you in terms of height and weight, low 50s resting heart rate. And I routinely (meaning every single time I go for a run) have a heart rate of 175-190 for upwards of 30 minutes, and have gone as long as 1.5 hours over 170. Measured with a chest strap, many times, over 5+ years now.

I've asked my doctor about this a bunch, and he's simply said that everyone is different, and if you aren't lightheaded, unable to speak comfortably, or feeling pain - you're fine. Not everyone fits into the first, or even the second, standard deviation.

I still play soccer, bike, run, backcountry hike and ski, work out at the gym, etc... never had a heart or any other medical issue in 30+ years of endeavors. But if my heart rate is at 135-140 I'm not even breaking a sweat.

KHNC

WKR
My resting heart rate is around 68. I am 50, 5'10 and 194lbs. I train hard 4 days per week. Weights, rucking , cardio, biking etc.... When i see RHR's in the low 50's with guys near my age i wonder whats up with mine. I feel fine and i dont have alot of body fat.

KHNC

WKR
Actually just looked at my watch for a review of the day. Says my HR was 62 this morning. So, i may be better off than i think. Ill recheck first thing tomorrow morning.