Heat vanes

Anyone using (running for you younger guys ;)) 3 Heat vanes with Slick Tricks, or other fixed heads? I have been searching but nothing recent comes up. I see a lot of people using them in a 4 fletch. I just set up a Hoyt Pro Defiant and their is minimal clearance to the cable. I have always used Blazers but thought to maybe try the Heat since they are lower profile.

I have shot them. Couldn’t really tell a difference between blazers. Maybe quieter, I have heard of a few people using them successfully for fixed heads.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the heat vanes, but I’ve been experimenting with Flex Fletch ffp 300s which are quite low profile. So far they seem quiet and durable. Haven’t shot my slick tricks with them yet, but based on visual flight and tuning I don’t anticipate a problem.

I’ve used the Heat in 3-fletch with mechanical heads. I’m planning a 4-fletch build and a fixed head in a couple of months.

@StraightWayOutdoors
Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I have blazers with my pro defiant. I just have the odd vane face away from the riser to ensure clearance

Edit: I'm shooting exodus 100gr swept

Last edited:

Swampwise

FNG
I began using heats over blazers two years ago. I only shoot fixed heads, usually QAD exodus 125 swept or Magnus heads with no issues tuning.

The heat vanes in a 3 fletch work well with fixed heads. I use the EZ fletch most of the time but have also used a bitzenburger with a helical clamp. I go back and forth between heat vanes and max stealth in 3 fletch. Both seem to work equally well for me with the max stealth being slightly quieter.

Zac

WKR
They will not stabilize as good as a Blazer or any other 2 inch high profile vane for that matter. The guys that I've seen have success with them were running pretty crazy amounts of helical. Really I think they are mostly a 3D vane.

I just fletched some in four fletch. I ran out of my regular fletches. I found a good difference in weight. About 3/4 of a grain up or down. I won’t use them after this but they fletched up nice.

andegreg

FNG
I like the AAE vane. Have really good luck with them. Have some friend that have been playing with TAC vanes and have had good luck with them.

Heat vanes in four fletch, with Day Six EVO fixed blade BHs, on Easton HEXZX 260s. That’s my go-to for deer. Took seven deer last year with that rig.

OP
MuleyFever
OK, I bought a fletcher to do 4 fletch? What helical are you guys going with on a 4 fletch?

BLM4

FNG
Bump for this question.
You can use an ez fletch for 4 vane set up as well (video below)
I’m using a straight right now with 4 heat vanes and have had good luck even with fixed blades out past 80 yards. Not sure I’d ever go more than 3 deg with a 4 vane, but I have been considering trying a couple out on a mini max that I think spits out a ~6 degree.