Heated Sleeping Bag Liner

treillw

WKR
I think I've been going about this wrong. I have two good zero degree Western Mountaineering sleeping bags, but if it's bitter cold, I'm cold and my wife is cold. We've already camped in 20 below.

I have a SO Cimarron and 8 man tipi. I've been trying to find a stove for car camping that will burn through the night (my wife really appreciates it and I can't argue).

Started thinking about this more and why not just use a heated sleeping bag liner when the stove goes out? Weight isn't a concern with car camping.

Any recommendations on a good one? How do you power two of them through the night? Any experiences with this?

Hope I don't catch myself on fire!

Thanks!

rclouse79

WKR
I watched a winter camping video where a guy used an electric blanket. It ate up batteries like crazy. I camped out on the lake ice fishing with my son twice this year. We were more than comfortable running a mr buddy heater while we were awake and combing a 0 and 20 degree bag while sleeping. Slept like a baby with temperatures below zero. It seems like a lot less headache than trying to run a system requiring multiple deep cycle batteries.

Crayton

FNG
This is exactly what I was going to ask. If you're going to be in -20, you need an R-value north of 7.
Keep in mind that you can layer pads to increase R-value. I run a closed-cell foam pad under my insulated air pad when out in really cold temps.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I have an x therm and another big agnus one - would have to look up r value for it.

Also two exped 10 mega mats for car camping.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
There may be something to the sleeping pad - one of the 20 below nights the fire went out at about 2 am.

My wife had the antelope and x therm, since I know they are warmer. Somehow she was warm - blows my mind.

I had the versalite and big ag pad. I was freaking freezing. Had puffy pants and jacket plus all my layers on and still was cold. My sleeping bag was also partially wet at the foot from sliding up against the cinnamon wall.

I would think there would be some viable power source for some bag liners car camping.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

Yeah, this is only a three season pad. Likely more of the reason I was so cold! I was fine the night before that though at the same temps.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Regardless, I'd still like to pursue the heated liner idea lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
I saw some of those Ignik liners at the store this evening

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Get a pack of hand warmers. They are amazing in a bag. One at the feet and one by your mid section. They will melt you out inside a bag.

Crayton

FNG
Big Agnes have had a long running reputation for pads that were colder than claimed.