Heather’s Choice

I really want to like them to support a local small business that supports hunting. But they are not good. We were on backpack bear hunting trip a few years ago with two other couples and we all had HC meals to try. We made 6 meals the first evening and passed them around the table. Six meals between six judges and it was failure across the board. My wife is very into health food and we try and enjoy a lot of different crazy things. My wife couldn't have more than a couple bites of each HC meal.

I have a couple meals I really like from each brand and in no way could pick a "hands down" brand winner. But I haven't had any HC meals that were worth the weight.

OP
Wyobohunter
I’ve never experienced loss of appetite at higher elevations. It must be one of those either you do or you don’t things like getting sea sick. Or it could be that it’s about the altitude change. It’s not a huge change for me to go up to 10,000’ whereas if you live on the coast it is a big change.

OP
Wyobohunter
Thanks for all of the feedback. I also watched a review on GoHunt. I’m committed as I’ve already bought all of my food for summer/fall (good discount at REI when you buy a bunch). About 1/3 of it is HC. Luckily I’m not picky, even if it turns out to be pretty bad I’ll still be able to eat it. Though I’ll probably bring a few of my Tabasco packets along in case it really needs a tuneup. I buy a big box of single serve packets every year; it’s the Lords hot sauce. Don’t say otherwise… I’ll fight you.

Thanks again 👍

Last edited:

MooreAK

FNG
I’ve tried them all and love the dinners. Hate the breakfasts. But haven’t tried any of the new ones since she revamped some of her menu recently. To me the dinners are more like real healthy food rather than the noodles/rice and sauce type stuff. If your not repackaging your meals her packages are smaller and big space savings in your pack as well.
The packaroons are great. I think I’ve been eating them for almost 5 yrs now and haven’t met one I didn’t like.

OP
Wyobohunter
I’ve tried them all and love the dinners. Hate the breakfasts. But haven’t tried any of the new ones since she revamped some of her menu recently. To me the dinners are more like real healthy food rather than the noodles/rice and sauce type stuff. If your not repackaging your meals her packages are smaller and big space savings in your pack as well.
The packaroons are great. I think I’ve been eating them for almost 5 yrs now and haven’t met one I didn’t like.
Good to hear. I just ordered a box of Packaroons to try out.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
With me any food I have to be able to enjoy it sitting in front of the tv or I’m not going to like in the back country.

Northpark

WKR
The one I like from heathers choice is the salmon chowder. I do like the packaroons but I’ve found a recipe for homemade ones I like better now and are cheaper than $2.50 a piece.

Haven’t tried the breakfast as I don’t eat breakfast and the rest of the dinners a good enough after a long day but the salmon chowder is superb IMHO. Only thing is you do have to let them sit AT LEAST 20 minutes to rehydrate.

MooreAK

FNG
The one I like from heathers choice is the salmon chowder. I do like the packaroons but I’ve found a recipe for homemade ones I like better now and are cheaper than $2.50 a piece.

Haven’t tried the breakfast as I don’t eat breakfast and the rest of the dinners a good enough after a long day but the salmon chowder is superb IMHO. Only thing is you do have to let them sit AT LEAST 20 minutes to rehydrate.
Oh man. Waiting that 20min for it to rehydrated after a long day watching your buds eat cause theirs only take 10 is the big downside IMO.

Care to pm the recipe for the roons ?

I bought a bunch a few years back. Majority had expired labels covered up with new labels that had extended dates. I emailed them and was told they were fine... The packaroons were decent but the meals were disgusting. Unfortunate, I wanted to like them. Not for me.

22lr

WKR
I really liked the HC dinners I've tried. Even the Peanut soup one was pretty good. I am not a fan of the breakfast, but ill admit thats a personal thing, it's likely the healthiest backcountry breakfast out there... I just can't do the buckwheat cereal stuff.

That said, I made a switch to Peak refuel for cost and I am probably the one guy who splits up the 2 serving pouches into single servings, and then add some instant potatoes to add filling. I also repackage all my meals into plastic freezer bags so I can burn them and not haul out any trash.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard mixed reviews on Heathers choice, I agree that the back story is great and like that the company supports hunter. I have heard a lot of reviews saying that they are bland. Interested in hearing reviews from people that have had them.

Recipie???

Northpark

WKR
2cups shredded coconut
1cup coconut butter
1/2 cup agave nectar
1.5 cup almond flour
1 cup dried fruit (I like blueberries)
1tsp salt
2tbsp vanilla extract

Blend it all together in a stand mixer for about 5 minutes or until it’s blended smooth. Form it into pucks the same size as a packaroon. Put it in the dehydrator for 24-36 hours and enjoy.