Heavier Arrow with Lower FOC vs lighter Arrow with higher FOC?

Hey guys, was curious what people would gravitate more towards when selecting an all around Western big game arrow. Let's assume both options group well and tune well out of the bow.

Arrow 1: 445-450 grains 12-13% FOC at around 280 Fps

Arrow 2: 490-500 grains with 10% FOC around 260 Fps

Does the extra weight make enough of a difference in your opinion to outweigh the 20 Fps drop in speed? I will use this arrow for elk hunting (Eastern Oregon specifically) but would like to pick one and use it for any purpose.

Thanks for weighing in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be a big assumption that they both fly the same at longer ranges. That extra FOC can make quite a difference. Have you considered a third option of a heavier point or insert to option #1 for even more FOC and total weight?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a third option of a heavier point or insert to option #1 for even more FOC and total weight?

I'm a sucker for brass inserts. My new 440 grainers are at 18ish%. While a long way from an expert they fly and group great to 50 yards.

Arrow #1 is a decent set up and will allow a good mechanical

Arrow #2 is ok but I wouldn't shoot an expandable at that speed

Arrow #1 has decent KE
Arrow #2 is even better

Arrow #1 FOC is better than Arrow #2

OP
Niceandkozy8
Thanks for all the great responses. Arrow 1 is an Easton carbon injexion with double D6 inserts. I've heard good things in a previous post about Slick trick and Qad Exodus in the D6 configuration. Any others to consider?

OP
Niceandkozy8
Arrow #1 is a decent set up and will allow a good mechanical

Arrow #2 is ok but I wouldn't shoot an expandable at that speed

Arrow #1 has decent KE
Arrow #2 is even better

Arrow #1 FOC is better than Arrow #2

In Oregon we can only shoot fixed blades so mechanical isn't an option for me. Thank you for the response.

OR Archer

WKR
I shoot Muzzy Trocars in D6 with great results on animals. The Exodus is another fantastic choice.

MattB

WKR
Arrow weight trumps speed, FOC is the most over-rated factor on internet chat forums (the really good bowhunters I know and know of don't even take it into consideration if that means anything), and speed isn't a relevant factor for whether to use a mechanical.

Beendare

WKR
MattB is dead on as usual.

3% FOC isn't even worth talking about.....and most guys don't see a difference in an arrow 25gr different until you get out at longer ranges....so 40 gr is pretty insignificant when it comes to trajectory. The guys telling you it is are shooting a heavy arrow with their sight adjusted for the lighter arrow which skews the result.

OP
Niceandkozy8
Have any of the D6 user experienced durability issues? Some previous post online have mentioned mushrooming on the shaft or the broadheads snapping. Is that mostly caused by hitting something they shouldn't or poor installation?

OP
Niceandkozy8
Thanks for all the great feedback I plan to build Arrow 1!

I center punched a 2 inch tree last winter and blew a BH out of an Injexion. I am looking into footing arrows now or a better way to put BH on small diameter arrows.I am liking the Valkyrie system, but he price is quite steep.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a calculator handy but let's say you shoot an elk at 40 yards (120 feet).

Arrow 1 hits the elk in about 0.43 seconds.

Arrow 2 hits the elk in 0.46 seconds.

Shoot the heavier arrow imo. The speed is so negligible on an elk; they aren't exactly known for jumping strings.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

bmanning

FNG
Arrow FOC

Hey guys, was curious what people would gravitate more towards when selecting an all around Western big game arrow. Let's assume both options group well and tune well out of the bow.

Arrow 1: 445-450 grains 12-13% FOC at around 280 Fps

Arrow 2: 490-500 grains with 10% FOC around 260 Fps

Does the extra weight make enough of a difference in your opinion to outweigh the 20 Fps drop in speed? I will use this arrow for elk hunting (Eastern Oregon specifically) but would like to pick one and use it for any purpose.

Thanks for weighing in!

Both arrows are more than sufficient to take down an elk with a well placed shot. I would want to see which arrow groups best at your max effective range. I'd pick the arrow the groups best and not pay so much attention to FOC