Heavy Arrow Workups - Follow up #1

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Well Fellow Rokslide Archers...

First let me thank you all for your valuable feedback and input. I wanted to follow-up and post my progress and findings as I take the knowledge you have given me and put it to the test.

As a result of the input I decided to do some test trials. Since I have three bows I am working up I decided to buy a smorgashboard of the arrows you recommended (test sets of 1 or 2), and use the test tip packs to figure out what works for each bow best.

A little side note... My previous arrow that shoots like lightening bolts and is dead-on accurate out of all three bows was a RIP TKO 350. I did some workup on it and here were my FOC and TAW findings:

Tip Weight FOC TAW
------------ ----- -----
100 11% 410
125 13.9% 435
150 15.6% 460
175 17.8% 485
200 19.7% 510

I was pretty shock at how light of an arrow set up it was. I wonder if this arrow is even valid to hunt medium (deer+) game given you have to get to a 200 gr tip to even break 500 grs. Input?

Back to the current testing...

The arrows I picked to put into my heavy arrow, high foc test include:

Arrow Spine GPI Outer/Inner
----------- ------- ----- --------------
Day6 HD 300 11.2 .263/165 (unclear)
Day6 HD 250 12.6 (unclear)
Axis 5mm Match Pro 300 10.7 .273/.196
Axis 5mm Match Pro 260 11.5 .280/.196
Black Eagle Spartan 300 9 .282/.224
Black Eagle Spartan 250 10 .289/.224
Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 9.3 .302/.246

I also have the 250ish GTH on backorder.

A few things I noted was the diversity of shaft weights relative to diameter of the arrow. Kind of shocking. The GTH is by far the larger diameter arrow yet, it is one of the lighter ones.

Right now I am trying to find inserts to fit all of these size arrows. I wanted to get Ethics inserts but it looks like they don't have all the sizes I need. Any one got any suggestions for inserts please add. Once I get them cut and inserts added I will start testing and will put my results on here.

For now if you have:
1. Weighted insert suggestions please send them.
2. Ideas for paper holders that for the paper shooting/tuning - I don't want to spend a ton of $$.

Look for more updates as I add them.

Gorp2007

WKR
Most paper holders I've seen are a simple PVC frame. Put the roll of paper on the bottom and clamp it at the top. Pull up more paper to replace as needed.

Zac

WKR
Need your bow specs before anyone can speculate on any of this. Larger diameter shafts are always lighter. You should probably get a program like Pinwheel to play with. You can't always just throw more weight up front and have a valid system. Also what are you trying to achieve. A certain weight? Velocity? FOC? All this is unclear.

For paper tuning on the cheap get a cardboard box and

1. Cut two holes in that box
2. Stick some paper on that box
3. Shoot a shot through that box

And that's the way you do it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
I haven't followed your testing but if you are looking to vary insert weight as quick as possibe I would look at something like the GT FACT system for your 166 shafts and something similar to that for your other options. It'll make it so you don't have to actually pull your inserts out each time?

Reactions: Zac
I haven't followed your testing but if you are looking to vary insert weight as quick as possibe I would look at something like the GT FACT system for your 166 shafts and something similar to that for your other options. It'll make it so you don't have to actually pull your inserts out each time?
The 3 Rivers field point test kit is even easier to swap out and still works if you change arrow diameter later, provided you're not using deep six stuff. No need to pull inserts to change weights or buy more shafts. Not sure how much the slight difference in weight distribution matters for this testing though. Maybe it does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Need your bow specs before anyone can speculate on any of this. Larger diameter shafts are always lighter. You should probably get a program like Pinwheel to play with. You can't always just throw more weight up front and have a valid system. Also what are you trying to achieve. A certain weight? Velocity? FOC? All this is unclear.

Here was my original post on the subject: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...-insert-and-broadhead-recommendations.173462/

What is "Pinwheel"

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider

GT FACT

Forgive the naiveness I am slightly new to this...

dkime

WKR

Here ya go, the only issue would be taking into consideration the stiffening effect that these also have on your arrow. Most people are gonna argue that adding weight up front will significantly reduce spine and while that’s true, increasing the length of the insert system does not allow the spine to be weakened by the same amount as it would if you were to just add the same amount of weight via the point. All depends on how much of an apples to apples comparison you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you planning on testing heavier heads with these arrows (150 grain +)? When people refer to "heavy arrows" I usually assume a TAW starting at 650. Your heaviest setup is a little over 500 which really isn't that heavy by today's standards. I apologize if I missed something and you are testing heavier setups as well...

Marble

WKR
For paper tuning I just use a ladder and tape paper to the correct level step and shoot through it.

No special contraption. Just tape, paper and a target