Heavy arrows for recurve

Tradchef

WKR
I used to shoot a 625 axis for years killed a pile of animals but trajectory sucked out west with my short draw. Now im shooting a sitka spruce shaft with a 125 glue on around 520 grains. No issues on passing through and better trajectory for my set ups

625-640 grains out of 54-56 pound bows

as for the grizzly sticks yes i have gone that route. tossed the shafts into the bathtub to find the heavy side of the arrow. marked them with a sharpie so that side will always be to the sight window. then bare shafted them till I found the sweet spot. set them up to dry fletched and hunted them for 3 to 4 years tough arrows for sure shot lots of hogs and and mule deer. great arrows 12 years ago not sure if they are the same quality now a days

I always liked being more than 10gpp because it makes the bow quieter and behave better in the hand. I tend to get as close as possible when out hunting so the range doesn't matter to me that much. Of course, on the flipside, I don't practice out past 30y very much so I tend to want to take shots less than 20y because I'm not confident out further and part of this could be because my arrows are a little heavier.

Currently looking at building a bow for club stuff with arrows that are around 8gpp so I can make some of the longer shots a little easier and start to learn more about trajectory out way further.

It can all depend on the poundage of your bow as well. When hunting medium game the idea of an arrow above 10gpp out of a lighter bow makes a lot of sense. I had a 42# recurve that was shooting a 450gn arrow, for example. At the same time, a 450gn arrow coming out of a 50# bow is still going to perform better.

I am thinking about this different now between my longbow and recurves as well. Current longbow arrows are 650gns which is right at 10gpp but I'd like to get it even quieter if possible and I'm going to build some new arrows down the track that will weigh close to 750gns. With my longbow, the game isn't the 48 metre (52 yard) shots at my local club because I don't shoot it that much at my club and I bought it for the fun of it and to get super close to game. I am also looking at arrows around 550gn for my 62# recurve that will make both a fantastic hunting and club rig.

The talks around arrow weight are really interesting and there is always plenty to learn. For me, navigating the differences between tree stand hunters and western hunters over in North America is cool and I think the way I hunt down here is more similar to the western stuff.

Rick653

FNG
When I put together my arrows I used Lancaster Archery. They let you order single arrows of pretty much whatever you like. So I put together my own test kit and went from there

Fling-One

FNG
I’m shooting a 630 grain arrow out of my 52# @28” PLX longbow. They shoot 170 FPS on the nose. They are heavy, and give me a 32 yard point on which I’m ok with.
my arrows are 400 spine day six, 31” long with 100 gr ins+collar, 200 grain day six or iron will wide. Shot a 200 lb boar with it and run clean through him. Also shot a mule deer in SD with it and the arrow blew through him and was 50 yds past where he stood because he was on top of a clay bute. It’s a sweet setup!

cocky84

WKR
Im now shooting 580grn fmj’s. 50grn insert and 150grn head. Around 17-18% foc.
I went with the fmj because it was the only way i could get close to 600grn without being over 20% foc.
For me, when i get over 20% foc, i get a nock high that i cant get rid of. Some ppl never have problems, or don’t realize they have problems with xtreme foc but i do. I like to be around 12gpp out of my widow.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm killing everything, blowing through big critters- including moose....so tell me again why do I need a 700g arrow? And you drank the high FOC Koolaid with your pile the weight up front comment....sheesh. Do you realize that your guru developed his very high FOC theory with Rubber bands?

You are just parroting the same internet influencer hogwash from Ranch Fairy and others.....I'm speaking from experience.

>
I never said you needed it. I never said it was required. Infact my current setup isn't high foc.

You need a hug?

The op asked a question, I answered it.

I like heavy arrows, they hit harder, they make the bow quieter. I could care less what you or anyone else shoots.