Heavy Arrows & High FOC Vs. Lightweight Fast Arrows

So whats better? Let’s dish it out in a friendly manner.

there is plenty of passion and standing the ground from EFOC, Heavy Arrow, Ranch Fairy fans. But what about the those on the 100-125 gr point weight max club shooting less than 11gpi arrows? Can you guys get some fire under you to share some thoughts.

I say it in this way because on saddlehunter forums it’s pretty obvious the majority have drank the Ranch Fairy kool aid as many got into saddle hunting from watching the Hunting Public and where Ranch Fairy got his big debut to say. I’m coming to rockslide to see if maybe the western hunters who shoot longer ranges (I’d imagine) follow similar or different schools of thought.

I don’t have a preference but want to figure out what is best for me. But first what are the different practitioners schools of thought? Cheers!

I'll open the can.

Build a good solid arrow that fits your setup. I have seen plenty of elk die from sub 70# bow with sub 400 grain arrows. Use a good quality broadhead. Let foc be what it's going to be. Don't need 20%. I'd like over 10.

You will do less killing lobbing a log than a well placed lighter arrow. Heavy arrows are great if you know the exact distance. I'm not saying go light speed, but get enough velocity that you have a plus minus of 5 yards.

It’s an interesting controversy, I heard bow shop employees saying all that matters is shot placement, and exactly one year later recommending 20+% FOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I am a fan of shooting whatever gets you in the 270-280 fps range. So whatever arrow weight that translates to for your bow will vary. Seems like that range is easy enough to tune and still PLENTY of speed for hunting. I usually find that arrow weight to be around 470-510 grains from a 70# bow with a 29-29.5” draw.

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I’m relatively new to archery, and just took my first big game animal (whitetail) with a bow this year. So I’m not claiming to be an expert. Currently, I shoot 65# at 29” draw, and a 400g (total weight) arrow with 100g broad head. FOC is roughly 11%, and it took down the buck I shot this year with authority. However, the more I research, the more clearly it seems the heavy FOC guys are onto something. Will a standard setup work? Absolutely. But what is the BEST (i.e., most penetration) setup? Seems to be a heavy arrow with ~20%ish FOC. I’ve been reading/listening to a lot of the Ashby data, and what I’ve consistently heard is that lighter/faster will work fine, but if you’re interested in maximizing penetration, that’s the formula you want. Entirely separate from the FOC argument, optimum kinetic energy seems to reside at ~280fps. I’m due for new arrows anyway, so I’ll be going with a 200g broadhead, approximately 20% FOC, 525g total weight, which should come out of my bow at around 270fps. Again, I’m pretty new to the game, but I had plenty of stats in grad school, and this makes sense to me, so that’s what I’ll be hunting with next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Being north of 400 grains is a good rule of thumb.

Based on a few years of watching these debates on various bowhunting forums, I am convinced most guys who dork out about EFOC and such spend most of their time dedicated to bowhunting on online forums, little in the field, and even less taking trophy pics. Too busy doing arrow "builds".

I have been bowhunting since 2007 and have taken quite a few animals since that time. Up until about two years ago I never even thought about foc or arrow weight. I used a setup with a total arrow weight of about 450 grains (100 grain point weight) shooting around 250 fps - it was a great setup and produced pass throughs nearly every single time. Two years ago I added a 50 grain brass insert upping my weight to around 500 grains - I don't know if it's made much difference (slower speed with greater momentum) . I agree that people seem to be putting way too much thought in the extreme foc setups...

OP
540-Virginian
I started the same thread on saddle hunter dot com and the replies are very different but interesting; Most fall in line with a lot of ‘arrow builders’ and what those here on rokslide called ‘EFOC dorks.’ Lol. Rokslide seems to be more people who hunt.

Appreciate the input from all.

I’m torn as I couldn’t get heavier arrows to fly great and hated the loss of trajectory. But I understand the science and hate the idea of a poor strength with an arrow and not enough penetration. I hunt whitetail in the 175 dressed weight range, but would like an arrow that can take a black Bear and maybe one day an elk or mule deer (if I ever get a tag).

i shoot a Bowtech Revolt X at 60” with a 29.5” draw. When I was shooting 400 spine carbon arrows with 100 gr points totalling 404 gr: I was getting 280 FPS.

I am currently trying out axis fmj 340 spine with 125 gr head totalling 508 gr. Only reason for 125 Head was to get the foc above 10% as I use lighted nocks. The arrows are slower than my carbon setup at 240 FPS. But they fly good and I’m guessing will hit hard.

I have Magnus stinger heads but trying tooth of the arrows as they do fly better and the tests people have done show them to be stronger. I had the muzzy 3 blades before but wanted something more durable.

I agree and believe firmly practice and being a good archer with all steps in the shot process is more critical in the end than the arrow. Thanks all!

MattB

WKR
I will tell you this, the best bowhunters I know don't even know what their FOC is and don't care. They just flat out murder stuff with whatever components they buy from run of the mill manufacturers - probably all at Cabelas.

It is when I read comments from guys who killed a buck this year with authority but feel the need to "improve" their set-up for no apparent reason that I start to hate the internet.

OR Archer

WKR
I will tell you this, the best bowhunters I know don't even know what their FOC is and don't care. They just flat out murder stuff with whatever components they buy from run of the mill manufacturers - probably all at Cabelas.

It is when I read comments from guys who killed a buck this year with authority but feel the need to "improve" their set-up for no apparent reason that I start to hate the internet.
How’d we kill anything before FOC ? Lol

Beendare

WKR
Matts right.
OP, You can read hundreds of hours of commentary by Internet influencers on the subject....

Or: just tune your bow, improve your form and kill anything in North America.

I doubt you will be happy with that^

hows this; every experienced bowhunter i know (many) shoot 450-550 gr arrows..... and few could tell you their FOC .... to back what Matt said.

I’m shooting 500 grains at about 17% foc. My speed is 275 and I would say I’m right in the middle. However, the arrows fly great and my bow is tuned. I can still shoot distance but carry enough punch throughout. There are a ton of good combinations and its relative to the individual needs. You have to find your happy place.

cured_ham

WKR
If you plan on hitting ribs or the squishy bits it probably does not matter. If you do not want to be inconvenienced by shoulder blades then weight and FOC matters more.

For me, I want to know that no matter where on the animal I hit I will get good penetration and a pass through. I have lost too many animals due to poor penetration on shots that I feel would have had a dead animal at the end of the blood trail. I know that I will encounter less than optimal hits due to my skill or animal movement. I plan for it with a 753 grain arrow.

If you plan on hitting ribs or the squishy bits it probably does not matter. If you do not want to be inconvenienced by shoulder blades then weight and FOC matters more.

For me, I want to know that no matter where on the animal I hit I will get good penetration and a pass through. I have lost too many animals due to poor penetration on shots that I feel would have had a dead animal at the end of the blood trail. I know that I will encounter less than optimal hits due to my skill or animal movement. I plan for it with a 753 grain arrow.

I'm sorry but that sounds like a magnum approach. Guys who shoot a 300 win mag to make up for poor shooting, they figure they can hit them in the guts and still kill them.

There's advantages in the field to speed, not light speed, but where your arrow isn't dropping 10 inches in 5 yards. I believe in finding a happy medium.